ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Special delivery lost at Bootle?

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
Salty1

Special delivery lost at Bootle?

Post by Salty1 »

I’m waiting for my passport I sent Special Delivery to be delivered but it’s been ‘stuck’ since 6 Jan in transit to Bootle. Is it likely to be lost?
Thursday 06 January 2022
02:24
Item Despatched to Bootle and Seaforth DO
Warrington MC
Wednesday 05 January 2022
19:46
Item Despatched to Warrington MC
Sheffield MC
19:08
Item received at
Sheffield MC
Tuesday 04 January 2022
17:30
Sender preparing item
17:11
Accepted

SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Special delivery lost at Bootle?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Is Bootle and Seaforth DO the correct DO for where it's going?
Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Yes it is. The tracking number is VE181298908GB
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

In all likelihood, RM failed to track this at the end stage or get a signature from the passport office. This is a common issue for places that get very high volumes of signed for items. In this case, the only way to know that it arrived will be to check with the Passport Office. Before Covid, it often used to take about a week between the application being delivered to the UKPA and the application being registered on the UKPA system, don't know what it is like now.

You can claim a refund on the cost of postage because it is late and / or if RM haven't obtained a signature.
Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Ah, ok thanks. The UKPA haven’t marked it as received but I’ll allow it a bit longer.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

This looks pretty normal for Passport Offices - for some reason, probably volume, they seem to take ages to update the tracking.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Snaggletooth wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 07:33
In all likelihood, RM failed to track this at the end stage or get a signature from the passport office. This is a common issue for places that get very high volumes of signed for items. In this case, the only way to know that it arrived will be to check with the Passport Office. Before Covid, it often used to take about a week between the application being delivered to the UKPA and the application being registered on the UKPA system, don't know what it is like now.

You can claim a refund on the cost of postage because it is late and / or if RM haven't obtained a signature.
Thank you for this reply as that is exactly what happened.
robato

Post by robato »

Hi Salty1, does your passport application show when your old passport was received by the passport office? For example, was it actually received on 6th Jan but they only displayed this fact recently 27th Jan.

My passport renewal was sent with special delivery and the tracking is just like yours, so I don't have a clue where my passport is.

Tuesday 25 January 2022
01:53 Item Despatched to Corby DO, South Midlands MC
00:31Arrived at, South Midlands MC
Monday 24 January 2022
21:10 Item Despatched to Corby DO, Home Counties North MC
21:02, Item received at, Home Counties North MC
12:25, Sender preparing item
12:12. Accepted at Post Office

Because there is no confirmation of delivery, the passport office told me to chase RM. So if there is a 2 week delay from passport office physically receiving it and then updating the application progress, it gives me some hope!
Chriz171

Post by Chriz171 »

Same here, I have sent my old passport by special delivery on 24th Jan 2022. The tracking says

Tuesday 25 January 2022
01:30
Item Despatched to Bootle and Seaforth DO
Warrington MC
Monday 24 January 2022
20:53
Item Despatched to Warrington MC
Preston MC
20:36
Item received at
Preston MC
09:38
Sender preparing item
09:17
Accepted at Post Office
Longton Post Office [PR4 5PB]

Now It has been stuck like this since 25th January. Any ideas why no progress is shown. Passport office is useless too.
Thing is I sent another item special delivery to a different address and that was delivered today 28th January 2022.
Should I be worried?
Thanks
Chriz171
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

It would have been easier to renew your passport digitally at a post office branch for a few extra quid, I did that and it was one week turn around.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
robato

Post by robato »

NWpostie wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 15:53
It would have been easier to renew your passport digitally at a post office branch for a few extra quid, I did that and it was one week turn around.
The post office website still says they send the old passport off by special delivery. So I don’t see how that makes it any easier if the problem is the special delivery service itself…?

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/r ... rt-digital
Step 3: “We’ll also send off your old passport to HM Passport Office by Special Delivery.”
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

robato wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 20:05
NWpostie wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 15:53
The post office website still says they send the old passport off by special delivery. So I don’t see how that makes it any easier if the problem is the special delivery service itself…?

Step 3: “We’ll also send off your old passport to HM Passport Office by Special Delivery.”
Yes the difference is they already have verified your identity at the post office, sending it in is just for it to be cancelled and returned to you, with a postal application they have to verify your identity remotely, then cancel the passport and return it to you.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

robato wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 20:05

1. The Post Office ones are put through a different stream at the Passport Office. The work that the PO clerks do is equivalent to the first stage of processing at the Passport Office, so they effectively bypass one stage that normal applications have to go through.

2. The Special Delivery envelopes that the Post Office use are treated differently to the general public ones. It is very rare for them to miss the tracking point at the delivery stage.

The biggest time saving on average from the PO service is the elimination of basic errors. Applications sent in by the public have an error rate of over 40%, for the PO processed ones it is less than 1%. It is often simple to sort out an error at the counter if the applicant is present, but once it has gone off to the passport office it starts a postal ping-pong. But point 1. still stands and the Post Office service will save a day or two for all applicants, whether the form is well completed or not.
robato

Post by robato »

I see, makes sense. They should advertise that as one benefit of the PO service then. Will keep in mind for 10 years time, as I have always dismissed the post office as merely adding an extra step and cost for peace of mind with the paper forms (the old days)! But did not realise it makes the application flow faster (compared with an error free application done by myself).

Anyway, too late for us who are already in this special delivery black hole.
Chriz171

Post by Chriz171 »

Mmm
In most businesses if you pay for something, you expect to receive it. Obviously Special Delivery is a misnomer.
If the tracking information is not being updated is this because the service is not being maintained correctly?
Hey ho, back to the drawing board I suppose