ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Return to sender of unopened, delivered parcel

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
dezza

Return to sender of unopened, delivered parcel

Post by dezza »

I received a duplicate parcel several days ago for an order placed from what I assume is a small-medium sized online business. They have advised me to scribble out the address and signed for barcode so that it can't be re-delivered to my address, and to mark it return to sender and highlight their returns address, and to put it in a post box (which isn't possible in a letter postbox as it's a 25cm square box).

Can anyone advise if this is correct procedure? I haven't opened the box but did open the plastic mailing pouch to check the invoice for the contents of the box. If so, I assume this won't fit in a parcel postbox (box >16cm) and if not, would a delivery office or post office accept this? It does have their post mark on it in addition to the signed for barcode sticker.

Thanks.

Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Re: Return to sender of unopened, delivered parcel

Post by Snaggletooth »

The service they describe is for unopened mail.

Anyway, if they want their parcel back they should be sending you a prepaid return label, or getting you to pay and then reimbursing you.
dezza

Post by dezza »

Apparently they 'can't do return labels' and don't seem keen on agreeing to reimburse the postage. The parcel is unopened, just the plastic wallet - although given one strip of tape on the top and bottom to seal the box it may not seem that way if somebody was to check on the way.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dezza wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 21:29
Apparently they 'can't do return labels' and don't seem keen on agreeing to reimburse the postage. The parcel is unopened, just the plastic wallet - although given one strip of tape on the top and bottom to seal the box it may not seem that way if somebody was to check on the way.
Send it as is. The firm will most likely receive a charge for nonpayment of passage, plus an Admin fee. It will cost them more in the end.

Also, Yes any delivery office and most crown post offices will accept it if you explain what happened. Local Post Offices may not have space, or expertise to know the process.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 08:44
Send it as is. The firm will most likely receive a charge for nonpayment of passage, plus an Admin fee. It will cost them more in the end.
The firm can refuse the item. I believe it'd then go to the National Returns Centre, either that or it'd be returned to you. Don't know off-hand if you'd then get a grey card in the post for a surcharge
dezza

Post by dezza »

Thanks all for the replies, very helpful info.

I did try handing it over at a delivery office but was advised that it may not get returned to the firm and may come back to me if it was opened at the National Returns Centre and my address was found on the invoice.

The firm have finally agreed to reimburse postage costs so I'll return it the 'proper' way now.