ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starter advice/ not had any training

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Andymurphy

New starter advice/ not had any training

Post by Andymurphy »

Hello all

My mrs has just started as a postie and is on day 3 and struggling.

She has had 3 hours out with someone but has had no training. She is expected to drive a van and deliver a full 5 hour round on her own. She has had no training on how to sort and bundle mail or how to deliver it.

She has had no support from managers who just say 'you'll be fine carry on'.

She has repeatedly asked for training but hasn't had any.

What should she do? Is there any tips for sorting ect

Can the union do anything?

Thanks

76robbo

Re: New starter advice/ not had any training

Post by 76robbo »

most rounds are in loops tie up and number them if you cant finish through lack of training take it back to office, then maybe take bit you never did the day before do this bit first next day, but dont worry about not finishing if the management want you to finish then the training should be given
Andymurphy

Post by Andymurphy »

76robbo wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 15:02
most rounds are in loops tie up and number them if you cant finish through lack of training take it back to office, then maybe take bit you never did the day before do this bit first next day, but dont worry about not finishing if the management want you to finish then the training should be given
I told her to take it back but she wont listen to me 😂 she's worried about getting a bollocking for not completing it. And she's been on 3 different runs so far and today she had a van too. Also with no training.
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Ridiculous that anyone should be expected to this job without any training. :crazy: But our Managers are convinced that anyone straight in off the streets could do it ..... we know they can't. :no no

Firstly I would suggest that your missus Calm Down, and stop worrying about getting into trouble about not delivering the mail properly .... My Argument would be, "How do I know the correct way to do the job if no one's trained me how"? All Newbies worry about making mistakes, or taking too long, or bringing mail back and they develop habits that don't help in the long run. Accuracy should be the Aim .... Speed comes with Experience. Makes no sense rushing around stuffing mail in the wrong address. :hmmmm

Tell her to find the Unit CWU Rep and have a chat with him. He may be able to help. I'd ask to be left on the same Duty for a while so at least you can get your head around one Duty. Constantly swapping around the Office is not going to help. And you just get more stressed. :arrrghhh

Ask some of the other Posties that cover those Duties if they've got any notes they could share? A lot of Reserves have notes about the best way to tie up the mail (so it's more logical to deliver) or an easier way to actually deliver it (the frames are "Meant" to run in delivery order, but sometimes they're pretty crap). Duty Holders find a better/quicker way to deliver it but never bother to update the frame.

1)On the topic of developing bad habits: DO NOT WORK FOR FREE There's a temptation to come in a bit early, "Just so I can get some more work done and get out sooner". If she wants to do that clear it with the DOM, he might not mind. :pray

2)Make sure you take your Meal Relief, if you don't take the Full Ammount add that time to the end of your shift and claim it! :thumbup you're entitled to it.

3)I don't know what sort of policy her DOM operates, but she may have to tell him that she thinks she's going to be finishing later, and ask him if he's going to pay her? In theory we do not have to work over our contracted finish time ..... but a lot of Posties don't mind doing a bit ..... Provided they're paid for it! :thumbup Again DO NOT WORK FOR FREE If he says he's not paying OT tell him you will be back in the office at your finishing time.

I'm sure they'll be lots more advice but I think it's important that you start as you mean to go on. :thumbup I have NEVER known any Newbie get the sack because they were making basic mistakes, or taking too long. Another big worry is about being on probation.... again I have NEVER known a Newbie not to complete their Probation. Wish your missus Good Luck, and try not to get stressed (I know she will). :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Andymurphy

Post by Andymurphy »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 17:13
Ridiculous that anyone should be expected to this job without any training. :crazy: But our Managers are convinced that anyone straight in off the streets could do it ..... we know they can't. :no no

Firstly I would suggest that your missus Calm Down, and stop worrying about getting into trouble about not delivering the mail properly .... My Argument would be, "How do I know the correct way to do the job if no one's trained me how"? All Newbies worry about making mistakes, or taking too long, or bringing mail back and they develop habits that don't help in the long run. Accuracy should be the Aim .... Speed comes with Experience. Makes no sense rushing around stuffing mail in the wrong address. :hmmmm

Tell her to find the Unit CWU Rep and have a chat with him. He may be able to help. I'd ask to be left on the same Duty for a while so at least you can get your head around one Duty. Constantly swapping around the Office is not going to help. And you just get more stressed. :arrrghhh

Ask some of the other Posties that cover those Duties if they've got any notes they could share? A lot of Reserves have notes about the best way to tie up the mail (so it's more logical to deliver) or an easier way to actually deliver it (the frames are "Meant" to run in delivery order, but sometimes they're pretty crap). Duty Holders find a better/quicker way to deliver it but never bother to update the frame.

1)On the topic of developing bad habits: DO NOT WORK FOR FREE There's a temptation to come in a bit early, "Just so I can get some more work done and get out sooner". If she wants to do that clear it with the DOM, he might not mind. :pray

2)Make sure you take your Meal Relief, if you don't take the Full Ammount add that time to the end of your shift and claim it! :thumbup you're entitled to it.

3)I don't know what sort of policy her DOM operates, but she may have to tell him that she thinks she's going to be finishing later, and ask him if he's going to pay her? In theory we do not have to work over our contracted finish time ..... but a lot of Posties don't mind doing a bit ..... Provided they're paid for it! :thumbup Again DO NOT WORK FOR FREE If he says he's not paying OT tell him you will be back in the office at your finishing time.

I'm sure they'll be lots more advice but I think it's important that you start as you mean to go on. :thumbup I have NEVER known any Newbie get the sack because they were making basic mistakes, or taking too long. Another big worry is about being on probation.... again I have NEVER known a Newbie not to complete their Probation. Wish your missus Good Luck, and try not to get stressed (I know she will). :cuppa
Thanks for your reply

Thats what I told her but its helpful for her to hear it from someone else. She is trying so hard to complete the route that she isn't having a break because "she hasn't got time" and she was told she "has to complete the route". Her hours are 9-3/ 30 hrs a week and they are telling her she has to work 6 days which by my maths is 36 hrs. But I'm a truck driver so my maths isn't so good 😂

She has to pick the kids up at 3.15 so another postie told her to finish at 2.30 and take her meal relief at the end of the day. But one of the managers said she had to stay until 3 so she is now worried about that too!

Its frustrating because I don't work there so can't do the arguing on her behalf.

I'm betting if she was a 6ft bloke they wouldn't be trying it on so much.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

If she can't find a rep in the office, use this link to find which branch you come under and contact them https://www.cwu.org/contact-us/
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Andymurphy

Post by Andymurphy »

Update.

No training but union rep got the workload reduced
WalkerX

Post by WalkerX »

I`m currently converting from agency parcel delivery jockey, to proper postie, and I can sympathise. I`m getting that too. I`m going to become a reserve, so I`m doing all sorts of walks. I was taking too long, but one guy took it on himself to give me some tips because he could n`t believe I had n`t been trained yet. He had a word with the DO manager and I think that when I officially start, I might get some more help.
Luckily, the lads have been very helpful, thankfully.
Lunch breaks? What are they?
idontbelieveit

Post by idontbelieveit »

Please, please, if this continues report a concern to the HSE. She should have been trained before she went out. The Managers know that and the CWU know that, the training is mandatory and is the employers responsibility. This is not an isolated case. This happened to me some months ago and I am a strapping bloke. Write everything down, who you told, dates, responses. The HSE can only go in and audit the business when areas of concern are highlighted by several employees over the same issue. A concern is dealt with confidentially by the HSE if that is your wife's wish, but her concerns will be logged and may help her and others in the future. My advice, from my own experience and listening to others, would be very careful how much trust you place with the CWU, in my own experience I believe that they had the businesses (RM) back each time above mine.