ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Expected time to complete a walk

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Stuart72

Expected time to complete a walk

Post by Stuart72 »

Hi I recently moved over from Agency to a Royal Mail employee so in total being doing the job for around 3 months but and I am constantly being moved from one walk to another, which is fine as I get to know multiple walks, question is I know all walks are different how long is the average time to complete a walk. I am not prepping the walk just bagging up the 6 loops and all the parcels for the 6 loops. I did one this week that I am not familiar with and it took me 6.5 hours, the next day when I told the manager I went 1.5 hours over he said this was too long. Thanks in advance

Woody Guthrie

Re: Expected time to complete a walk

Post by Woody Guthrie »

It's not that unusual on a walk you don't know in an area you don't know to be an hour or two over especially if you're relatively new to the job.

It's a learning curve, you can only really judge if you're on a duty for a reasonable length of time whether you're fast slow or like most people somewhere in the middle.

It's pretty much standard operational procedure to ignore everything managers have to say about outdoor performance, how would they know how long a duty should take?
Only dead fish follow the current
Dannyposty

Post by Dannyposty »

I’m a new starter, two weeks in and it’s taking me ages to sort, ages to bundle and ages to deliver! I’m walking 30 mins away from the depot and then walking 30 mins back so that adds an hour to my day. I’m finishing around 4/5pm every night, doing 15 miles a day. My boss says don’t worry I’ll get quicker and they’re happy with me but it’s hard to see where I knock off 3 hours from my route!
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Dannyposty wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 10:39
I’m a new starter, two weeks in and it’s taking me ages to sort, ages to bundle and ages to deliver! I’m walking 30 mins away from the depot and then walking 30 mins back so that adds an hour to my day. I’m finishing around 4/5pm every night, doing 15 miles a day. My boss says don’t worry I’ll get quicker and they’re happy with me but it’s hard to see where I knock off 3 hours from my route!
You won't have to knock 3 hours off.
The duty won't have been planned the way you're doing it but coronavirus restrictions mean things are not how they seem.
That's probably worth a couple of hours in itself between indoor and outdoor.
To be honest they're probably taking the piss a bit by sending you out with far too much.
Only dead fish follow the current