ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Online application

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Wezza

Online application

Post by Wezza »

Hi. Hope this is a valid question, I’m looking for a job as a postman and there are none available in my area. I’ve been told I can do a generic application, then if and when successful go on a waiting list until a vacancy arises in an office I AM prepared to travel to. Is this true? i.e. can I pass the interview for a job advertised for another location, turn down the initial job offer because of the travelling (but at least I’ve passed and am ‘in the system’ and they’ll email me when a job does come up somewhere I’ve expressed a preference for)? Or do I literally have to wait until one comes up where I actually want to work?
Feel I need to get this right, given the number of rejections people seem to have suffered (answer one question wrong and that’s it for another 6 months, is the impression I get!).
Thanks

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Online application

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I would say No. I think someone has misunderstood the process.

You normally only get put on a waiting list if you are successful throughout the process, but they had more applications than positions. If you apply for a position, then turn it down, as far as I know they remove you from the list.

You are best applying for positions in your area, that you are willing to travel to rather than trying to do what you suggest. To be frank, applying for a position then turning it down because you are unwilling to travel to the office won't look good and could affect your chances further down the line.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Wezza

Post by Wezza »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 08:04

You normally only get put on a waiting list if you are successful throughout the process, but they had more applications than positions. If you apply for a position, then turn it down, as far as I know they remove you from the list.

You are best applying for positions in your area, that you are willing to travel to rather than trying to do what you suggest. To be frank, applying for a position then turning it down because you are unwilling to travel to the office won't look good and could affect your chances further down the line.
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 08:04

Thanks, that’s what I thought tbh, I think the person who told me probably meant you go on the waiting list if you ‘pass’ the interview but someone else gets a higher score. Someone else told me the bit about being emailed when a job comes up in your area, but again I suspect they meant I can get an alert when a job comes up that I wish to APPLY FOR (not accept), but you can just periodically check the website for this anyway can’t you.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure as it’s not like you can ring up and speak to anyone for advice or clarification nowadays is it! 👍
Caesar

Post by Caesar »

I think the best way to find jobs in your area is to go on the Royal Mail jobs page. This is usually frequently updated and shows all the jobs available.
When I was looking for a job I made a list of all the locations that I was willing to travel to and applied for any that came up in these locations.
You can set up an alert but I found that the alerts took a couple of days to be sent and I'd already applied for them off the jobs list.