ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Distance from work?

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Xerac

Distance from work?

Post by Xerac »

How does the Royal Mail feel about living about a 45-60min away from a position you might apply for?

I always assumed they would at least prefer you didn't live in the town you are applying for basic
security reasons.

Woody Guthrie

Distance from work?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Xerac wrote:How does the Royal Mail feel about living about a 45-60min away from a position you might apply for?

I always assumed they would at least prefer you didn't live in the town you are applying for basic
security reasons.
The business doesn't really have a position either way.
Most of us live locally but there are a few from further afield, local knowledge of the area helps though.
Only dead fish follow the current
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Re: Distance from work?

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

Xerac wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 15:26
How does the Royal Mail feel about living about a 45-60min away from a position you might apply for?

security reasons.
My opinion would be the opposite. If i were looking to hire staff I would be looking at those closer to the delivery office first. Im not sure what you mean by secuirity risk? If your an untrustworthy person then the distance you live from the workplace is irrelevant. I'm not suggesting that you are untrustworthy, but that the same RM security checks would be carried out for all candidates and any risky individuals not cleared for work, no matter how close they lived to the office.

Being closer, is more likely to ensure that you report for duty on time and in all weathers. The environmental factors of living a considerable distance away can only increase the probability that at some point you'll be late or not be able to make it in to work at all. In addition if your very local then you can be more flexible and help out by being on general availability on your unshifted days etc.

Also with RM like many large organisations taking a hard and closer look at the wider impacts of Occupational Road Risk, living 40-60m away and having to drive to and from work, only adds to an individuals personal risk profile.