ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Unsuccessful Application

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
shimano

Unsuccessful Application

Post by shimano »

Bugsy wrote:Just as i was starting to forget about this a couple of things have happened this past week which has brought me back to the boards.

First of all the Postman job in the town that i applied for has re-appeared and so they are once again looking for new Postman/Postwomen with driving. I cannot tell you how disheartening it is to see a job you applied for and actually thought confident of getting because you gave one of your best interviews and answered every single question almost immediately appear again a month later. I can even remember the interviewer saying to me that one of the questions i asked was an intelligent question and even he did not know the answer and that he would 'get back to me on that one,' another reason why i thought i had been successful. I am going to put this down to an age factor especially as my new Postwoman of should i say Postgirl looks about 17 years old.
My advisor at the job centre however keeps asking me to get some feedback regarding the interview as its the only job where i havent managed to get feedback this year. She even said i should go down to the depot and ask for the person who interviewed me and ask but i dont feel right about doing that. Does anybody here have an email address for the Royal Mail's Human Resources department or Recruitment Team? Basically somebody i could contact so i can put this to bed. Thank you.
same case with my interview I know I did really well and they seemed really pleased with the answers id given only to be unsuccessful and then see the job back on the recruitment page 3 weeks later :shock:

South_London_Postie

Unsuccessful Application

Post by South_London_Postie »

The feedback will be this. “ There was a higher scoring candidate that got the job” the Royal Mail interview is a box ticking exercise. Each question you answer you are given points, the person with the highest score gets the job.

Practice the Star method of answering questions I got the maximum points in my interview using this method.

No matter how well you think you interviewed you cannot beat someone with maximum score.
Bugsy

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Bugsy »

Preview: Unsuccessful Application
Rather than start a whole new thread i thought i would continue with this one so as to give people an idea as to what has happened so far. At the end of last year i applied for a Postman/Postwoman with Driving and Callers Office duties vacancy in my home town but was not even invited for an interview. This was the first job i applied for with the Royal Mail since i was unsuccessful earlier in the year. Naturally i was disappointed, having lived in my home town for 40 years i feel i know all the roads around here or at least have a rough idea where they are. Anyway i have now seen the same job that i had an interview for being advertised again and am unsure as to wether to apply or not. I am thinking would the person who interviewed me last time see my application and then remember who i am and would just turn me down automatically or would he give me a second chance. Dont want to waste my time even applying if its the former.
Also NeilM kindly gave me an email address to find out the reasons why i was not successful last time but the person told me i had to pay an admin fee of £10 if i wanted to find out. However when you are Jobseekers Allowance and only earning £30 a week paying a 3rd of what you get just isnt viable. I dont like giving up which is why i have continued as long as i have but i dont know what they have written down for me. For all i know they might have written down 'job not offered - too old.' Any thoughts would be appreciated.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Unsuccessful Application

Post by fb1969 »

We have people from up to 10 miles away at our Delivery Office, many passing several other offices on their journey in - mainly because our office had vacancies when they applied. On my current round I deliver to three posties and only one is at our office. If you are worried about being interviewed by the same person, have a look if there are any vacancies nearby and not just at your local office. Local knowledge is useful in the job, but it wasn't questioned in my interview and isn't really part of the requirements for the job.

Regarding the £10 fee to find out why you were unsuccessful I would think this would come under a "Subject Access Request". The law on this changed in May 2018 with the GDPR requirements and in the majority of cases a fee is not permitted now. I don't know how that date fits in with your applications, but it may be worth enquiring again as it could be free. https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/yo ... of-access/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Lfc1972

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Lfc1972 »

I would apply, I had countless applications to my local delivery offices, I’ve had 2 unsuccessful interviews then had to wait 6 months to try again. Had the 3rd interview, got put on waiting list and got a job through that. Whole process from first application to starting was 2 and a half years. I was determined to be successful and I got there in the end. Age is no barrier so don’t let that put you off, I was 45 and two newer recruits at our DO are older. I know it’s gutting and not the best recruitment process but keep at it. Just coming up to a year in the job and it’s the best job I’ve had. Keep the faith :Very Happy
Bugsy

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Bugsy »

fb1969 wrote:We have people from up to 10 miles away at our Delivery Office, many passing several other offices on their journey in - mainly because our office had vacancies when they applied. On my current round I deliver to three posties and only one is at our office. If you are worried about being interviewed by the same person, have a look if there are any vacancies nearby and not just at your local office. Local knowledge is useful in the job, but it wasn't questioned in my interview and isn't really part of the requirements for the job.

Regarding the £10 fee to find out why you were unsuccessful I would think this would come under a "Subject Access Request". The law on this changed in May 2018 with the GDPR requirements and in the majority of cases a fee is not permitted now. I don't know how that date fits in with your applications, but it may be worth enquiring again as it could be free. https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/yo ... of-access/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for that info. I was not even aware of the law change so i will make an enquiry and see what happens,thanks :thumbup
Bugsy

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Bugsy »

Lfc1972 wrote:I would apply, I had countless applications to my local delivery offices, I’ve had 2 unsuccessful interviews then had to wait 6 months to try again. Had the 3rd interview, got put on waiting list and got a job through that. Whole process from first application to starting was 2 and a half years. I was determined to be successful and I got there in the end. Age is no barrier so don’t let that put you off, I was 45 and two newer recruits at our DO are older. I know it’s gutting and not the best recruitment process but keep at it. Just coming up to a year in the job and it’s the best job I’ve had. Keep the faith :Very Happy
Yes you are right it is 'disheartening' and not the best recruitment process. Why you have to keep doing the on-line test every time you apply for another vacancy i dont know. Once you pass as i have done on several occasions the Royal Mail should just note it down as 'candidate passed.' You say you are are 45 which is fine as you are not yet in the 50-65 bracket. Age Concern reported last year there is so much more difficulty for people in this age group than any other in finding a job although i dont know if your 2 newer recruits fall into this catagory or not. Interesting to read that it has been 2 1/2 years from first application to starting as thats 6 months longer than the length of time i have been applying for. I certainly admire your tenacity, you remind me of me when i was younger. I can understand why you love your job as i know i would too as i love walking. I even walk the 10 mile trip to the job centre and back to keep me fit and make sure im ready if i am offered a job. Your reply especially the last line has made me decide to give this one last shot so thank you.
Lfc1972

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Lfc1972 »

Very best of luck to you. Just for the info the two newest recruits are 47 and 52. I don’t know your circumstances and your location but if you have transport and are to travel widen your search area then you can make multiple applications. Local knowledge is not essential for you to do the job. We have someone at our DO who commutes 20 miles to work. Pain in the arse i know but may give you more opportunities.
Caesar

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Caesar »

Lfc1972 wrote:Very best of luck to you. Just for the info the two newest recruits are 47 and 52. I don’t know your circumstances and your location but if you have transport and are to travel widen your search area then you can make multiple applications. Local knowledge is not essential for you to do the job. We have someone at our DO who commutes 20 miles to work. Pain in the arse i know but may give you more opportunities.
This post has boosted my confidence a little. I am 54 yrs old and was worried that my age would count against me.
I was really hoping to be successful at my interview because I appear younger and am fairly fit after doing manual work most of my life.
My applications on the waiting list will show my age so to hear that you can still get a job in your 50's is good news.

Good luck Bugsy
Bugsy

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Bugsy »

Lfc1972 wrote:Very best of luck to you. Just for the info the two newest recruits are 47 and 52. I don’t know your circumstances and your location but if you have transport and are to travel widen your search area then you can make multiple applications. Local knowledge is not essential for you to do the job. We have someone at our DO who commutes 20 miles to work. Pain in the arse i know but may give you more opportunities.
Glad to hear that 1 of the new recruits is 52 as that gives me hope. Yes ive expanded my locations to give myself more of a chance with 1 location being 15 miles away to show the Royal Mail how committed i am but no luck up to this point. Applied today for the one i was referring to yesterday so fingers crossed.
Bugsy

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Bugsy »

Caesar wrote:
This post has boosted my confidence a little. I am 54 yrs old and was worried that my age would count against me.
I was really hoping to be successful at my interview because I appear younger and am fairly fit after doing manual work most of my life.
My applications on the waiting list will show my age so to hear that you can still get a job in your 50's is good news.

Good luck Bugsy
Bloody Hell Caesar when i read your post for a second there i thought i had written it as everything in it applies to me. Yes like the lady says keep going and see what happens.

yeah good luck to you too mate.
misstmac

Unsuccessful Application

Post by misstmac »

Just bear in mind that the interview is done on a points system so you may have interviewed well but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you scored higher than other candidates. There are a few tips on here that give the heads up on interview questions. 2 of the questions are tick boxes, van checks (if with driving) and Health and Safety...make sure you answer both of those to the fullest. The rest of the questions are all scenario based. Those answers will be open to interpretation by the interviewer, so take your time when answering and don’t be afraid to ask them to recap the question so you don’t go off track.

Those that have been put on the waiting list...chase it up if you can as I’ve read a few people on here that have been told they’re on the waitlist but have been left off and once they manage to get hold of someone from recruitment are offered the next available vacancy! Also worth bearing in mind that if ten people interviewed for a position, 1 is offered the job, there’s every possibility the other 9 people could have passed the interview so that’s 8 other people all on the waiting list as well as you!

My point in all this is don’t give up, it’s all down to being in the right place at the right time!

I was second time lucky but I honestly believe it was pure luck!
Bugsy

Time to Quit

Post by Bugsy »

Not sure how many times people have applied here before they actually got the vacancy they applied for but mine is now 15 after another 2 more unsuccessful applications. Unfortunately during my application for the second vacancy my internet went down which was a disaster and when i tried to continue a few days later when my internet returned the job disappeared. I emailed Royal Mail over a week ago to explain what happened to see if something could be done probably out of desperation but it doesnt look like i am going to get a reply. With that in mind i have resigned myself to the fact that i am never going to get a job with the Royal Mail which is disappointing as i know my capabilities and i am definitely capable of doing this job. Its funny because the centre i go to to for the work programme is a 3 hour walk there and back which you have to attend everyday regardless of the weather(it sure was chucking it down today) and the walks i go on with the National Trust either as i group or by myself covers large areas so it definitely keeps me fit and as these things are required as part of your job i am not sure what else to do. Basically there is nothing more i can do so if they havent taken me on by now then they are never going to take me on although looking back i am a bit disappointed with the person who first interviewed me. Whilst i can accept that someone else scored more points than me and therefore got the job i dont believe my interview was so bad that i didnt even make the waiting list. I would like to thank everyone for their time in responding to this thread and wish everyone who is still looking for a job good luck in their search. :thumbup
Partyondude

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Partyondude »

I'm on 10 applications, 3 still at testing , 1 got me on the waiting list and 6 rejected or unsuccessful.

I only noticed today that my mobile number wasn't on my profile, my home number was in both boxes. Ha. I've been hoping for a phonecall for 2 months on the waiting list and they didn't have my number.
Hayleyr86

Unsuccessful Application

Post by Hayleyr86 »

Hi, is there anyway of getting feed back from your interview? I'd like to know where I went wrong and how I can improve for a possible future interview. Any feed back would be gratefully appreciated.