ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Interview tips!

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Interview tips!

Post by POSTMAN »

POSTMAN:Thanks to the 2 below,others feel free to add to the thread,anything off topic will be deleted.
Mr Whizz wrote:My interview was last month and I'm starting on the 22nd. I didn't wear a suit but dressed smartly.

When I arrived at the SO a guy checked all my documents and then I was interviewed by the manager. Make sure you don't forget any documents otherwise you won't get interviewed!

I think all the questions are standard because the manager read them out from a sheet and took notes while I was talking.

Some of the questions I can remember are...

1. Have you ever been in a position of trust...give an example.

2. Have you worked in a team.

3. Have you worked on your own initiative and give examples.

4. Have you ever had to deal with an unhappy customer...if so how did you react...what was the outcome and would you have done anything differently.

5. It's a physical job and some heavy lifting...can you handle it...do you keep fit etc...

6. Have you worked to a deadline before..give an example.

7. Have you ever had to do different duties to your normal routine. (can't remember the exact wording but it's to do with being flexible at work)

8. Why do you want to work for RM.

9. Do you have any questions..

Then you're asked some safety questions (which threw me slightly as I wasn't expecting it!)

1. What do you check before driving a van.

2. What do you check before riding a bicycle. (check that the saddle hasn't been nicked! - no, I didn't say that)

3. Why is it important to know about Health and Safety in the workplace....obviously so that you don't injure yourself...BUT make sure to include not injuring your colleagues as well in your answer.

The interview lasted about 50 minutes. Good luck!
hq2011 wrote:BUMP! BUMP! BUMP!

Huge list of questions and some sample answers, gathered from many different threads on this site, hope you can benefit from it. If anyone has anything to add, then feel free.

Interview Questions

1. Have you ever been in a position of trust by someone giving you something to look after?

During my time at ... there was an important responsibility to ... in preparation for the day's activities. I was chosen as the person most capable of performing the action, and always succeeded in this duty.

2. Give an example of when you worked as part of a team.

I have successfully worked within a number of teams, most notably ... , where I was a key member of a team performing ... After a while my work was of such quality that I was asked to help coordinate the team.

3. Give an example of when you had to work on your own initiative.
4. How would you deal with an customer who is not happy with the service they have received?

I would listen to any complaints they may have and take note, I would also give them relevant contact information for them to take there complaint further should they wish.

5. How do you keep yourself fit?
6. Give an example of when you worked to a deadline.

All my previous employment involved me working to a deadline. Also the best part about working to a deadline is when the job is done you dont have to worry, because you know it's complete and makes your sleeping at night alot better not worrying about finishing anything off the next day; every day is a new start.

7. Have you ever done a repetitive job before and what did you do to make it easier?
8. When have you taken responsibility for something?
9. Have you ever been faced with a particularly difficult situation?
10. What are your strengths?
11. Tell me about yourself (this one likely to be first one at your interview)
12. What makes you different to other candidates?
13. Why do you want to work here?

I like daily contact with the public and enjoy providing a service which helps the community. I like a mixture of working as a team and as an individual. I like the mixture of working inside and outside.

Health & Safety Questions

1. How to change a punctured tyre?
2. What do you check before driving a van?
3. What do you check before riding a bicycle?
4. Why is it important to know about Health and Safety in the workplace?

So that you do not injure yourself and your colleagues...etc

5. This role involes lifting heavy bags, how would you cope with this, and what measures would you take for your own safety and others? (Similar to No. 4)

Lift with knees and not my back, keep aware of the area around you, including strangers, dogs etc.

Answer these questions before going to your interview. The interview will last around 45-50 minutes. Good luck!

Questions to ask

1. What should I expect on my first day?

2. What is the delivery supplement and how will it affect me?

3. Will I be required to wear uniform and will it be provided to me?
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.

tacotewzday

Interview tips!

Post by tacotewzday »

Hi all, I've got an interview for postman /postwoman with driving next month. I'm really excited about it. I've been watching this site closely for interview tips and taken heed of the advice for questions they might ask. Any other tips or help? Want to be as prepared as possible :)

Thanks
mok2k11

Interview tips!

Post by mok2k11 »

Hi everyone, I've got an interview for postman with driving next week, in which I have to show my driving license. However, I just passed my test about a week ago, so my license hasn't arrived yet. Does anyone know if just taking my pass certificate will be ok? Many thanks.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Interview tips!

Post by POSTMAN »

mok2k11 wrote:Hi everyone, I've got an interview for postman with driving next week, in which I have to show my driving license. However, I just passed my test about a week ago, so my license hasn't arrived yet. Does anyone know if just taking my pass certificate will be ok? Many thanks.
Yes mate, should be ok, congrats.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.