ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Expected Monthly Earnings inc overtime

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
the_seeker

Expected Monthly Earnings inc overtime

Post by the_seeker »

Hi, Looking to get some help and advice on salary expectations...

I currently work in IT sales earnings a decent wage but have had enough of the BS after 20 years' and fancy doing something totally different. I am probably totally nuts for considering this career change and swopping one stressful environment for another but c'est la vie.

I've been offered a job with RM 30hrs per week, this would be a struggle to live on. I understand overtime is available.

Question for experienced posties! How much on average do you clear each month inc overtime, after tax?

Appreciate any input.

fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: Expected Monthly Earnings inc overtime

Post by fb1969 »

"experienced posties" won't be able to help you as they will be on different pay rates and general terms and conditions to anyone joining since November 2022.

Things to bear in mind about wages if you join are that you will be on the set rate, which is lower than people joining before Nov 22 will be getting, and you will not receive any supplements that people there before Nov 22 will be getting. Those there before Nov 22 will get paid breaks, but you will not be paid for yours. The overtime rate of 1.25 times hourly rate that RM quote for you will only apply once you have done 40 hours - so on a 30 hours contract, the first 10 hours of overtime will be at your standard hourly rate. You will probably be expected to work most Sundays as part of your standard hours and you will not receive any extra pay for doing so, those who started before Nov 22 will receive a premium for working Sundays.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Tman

Post by Tman »

It'll be a struggle to live on your wages, the work is apparently both boring and physical and the stress (although of maybe a different sort) will still be there.
Not really much of an improvement in your life-style is it?
the_seeker

Post by the_seeker »

Appreciate the replies and info guys!
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

Overtime is variable depending on each particularly DO, if you start at one where everybody works OT you may struggle to get any, work at one like mine where nobody seems interested and you could work as much as you want, although you'll only get OT once you've proved you can do the job.

Assuming you are fit and don't mind being messed about with regards to what hours & days you work then give it a go.
the_seeker

Post by the_seeker »

Appreciate the reply on overtime. I'd need to clear £30k a year minimum to pay the bills. :nervous
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

the_seeker wrote:
17 Oct 2023, 19:37
Appreciate the reply on overtime. I'd need to clear £30k a year minimum to pay the bills. :nervous
To clear that you'll need to do around 20 hours a week OT, that's assuming the £30K is the gross not new figure, I'm sensing you maybe better staying in your present role?
guardianangel

Post by guardianangel »

Dont believe the 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 sunday working they are already changing the rules in our office new starters have now been told they have to work every other Sunday. If i were you i'd give Royal Mail and their new contracts a wide berth.