ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starter, is it really that bad?

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Arumond

New starter, is it really that bad?

Post by Arumond »

Hi all,

Am starting the role soon, 30 hour contract Mon-Sun, have learnt from reading this forum that it's no where near as good as the previous contract but I'm trying to be positive. I'm currently out of work and was quite excited for the position until I came here :chuckle

Putting aside the physical demands of the job, is bullying really as rife as people make out? I've also read that it's hard to get them to pay you your payed overtime and that some staff just do overtime unpaid.. why would anyone do that?

I've struggled with my mental health a bit in the last few years and the thought of working somewhere as toxic as this is putting me off from even trying it...

I've also got an interview with waitrose as a delivery driver, maybe that's the better option?

Cheers

Basildon Bond

Re: New starter, is it really that bad?

Post by Basildon Bond »

No two offices are exactly the same (I've worked in a good handful) so that's the extent of my knowledge. I'm sure some on here will offer advice when they only know the four walls they have worked in for the last X number of years. Or they once worked in one other office many years ago and therefore can speak with that knowledge.

Bullying can take many forms. If you are asked to work your day off or complete on a given day some will see that as being asked to do too much.
However, some will not have solid commitments and are therefore not all that bothered about giving the company an extra bit. Some offices will have managers that ask for a bit today but then give a bit tomorrow (like a manager that asks you to work a day off (for OT) but then gives you two days off together next week as a thanks). If you're the give and take sort of person it could work. I'm sure some managers are all take and I'm sure some staff are zero give (both with solid reasons for their position only they can justify). Then there are the rest of us just muddling through.

No one on here will be able to say if working for Waitrose will be any better or worse unless they happen to have recently quit Waitrose and are now working on delivery (or vice versa and still happen to be posting on here).

If you like the idea of walking 20,000+ steps per day and working generally on your own outside all day and in all weathers pick RM. If you don't like that or think driving plastic boxes (heavy with food and drink) to different people's houses and unloading them seems better pick that. I'm sure both have there good and bad points. Personally I can eat pretty much what I like and not gain any weight. However, I feel like collapsing some days. The office in the morning can be stressful but once I'm out I'm generally my own boss (or pretend to be). On the other hand I think if I banged a Waitrose van someone would notice. However, good luck spotting any new damage on the beat up thing I drive around in for RM so if a wall jumps out and hits it I can claim it was done earlier. Swings and roundabouts.

Good luck.
Arumond

Post by Arumond »

Thank you Rukus for spending the time to write that detailed reply. I agree with the give and take; I'm all for doing my extra bit if it goes both ways. I guess I'm just going to have to give it a go and see how my DO is.

The exercise part of the job doesn't phase me as I am very fit although I know that the first few weeks will be hard as I'm not use to walking such distances nearly every day, my body just isn't adapted to that type of exercise.

I'm coming from working in care that payed minimum wage with huge responsibilities so working for nearly £2 extra an hour to deliver mail is pretty enticing

EDIT: Do you have any experience with them refusing to pay overtime or yourself or colleages just not being paid overtime?
SMS1969

Post by SMS1969 »

Sometimes they can ‘forget’ to pay overtime. So make a note of all the hours that you work, see if it matches your payslip and get them to correct it if it’s wrong.

I’ve done supermarket driving, the hours are all over the place, but I did enjoy it. Even on your lower starting wage, you should earn more as a postie, especially as you will be required to actually work 40 hours a week.
Last edited by SMS1969 on 28 Aug 2023, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Basildon Bond

Post by Basildon Bond »

You have to watch the hours you work and make daily notes. You could ask for a weekly print out of hours worked. On a monthly payslip it can be hard to track otherwise. Head to Poundland or similar and get a tiny diary and keep it with you (something that takes no space nor weight in your otherwise overloaded pockets). Then make notes each working day. It will get tiresome but ultimately worth it.
Constance
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Constance »

Yes, it really is.

Be honest with yourself and if you chuck it in, I hope you are kind to yourself and don't beat yourself up..
Basildon Bond

Post by Basildon Bond »

Arumond,

Unfortunately asking the broad question of "is it really that bad?" may get a lot of "yep", "sure is", "definitely", "worse than you think", "are you mad", "run away". These are probably not going to help you make up your mind as a problem for one may not be a problem for another. We're all coming at current life from different backgrounds and directions.

You could post a new thread asking "what do you like about the job (in delivery)?". You may get good points but I can foresee a good amount of "nothing", "I'm quitting", "company has got to hell in a handbasket" to pollute that thread too. With no specific advice about what is good and bad.

Do know that this forum is not representative of 100% of RM staff. It's a microenvironment of RM staff. I've asked around at work if certain people are on it and to summarise I'd say most are not. They just get on with the job and don't have the time, energy, nor interest in belittling and berating the job they turn up for everyday.

Good luck.
PostieNoob

Post by PostieNoob »

I am 2 weeks in on a similar contract and am already on my own route after 3 days of training on it. I am enjoying it when I’m out of the depot and delivering, a lot of moaning in the depot when sorting but I just crack on and stay to myself and sort my Mail. Once ur out the door it’s just you and the day seems to fly by. It is quite demanding though some days. With the recent heatwave I wasn’t getting back til like 5pm and was the last one in most days but apart from that I say give it a shot and hopefully u have some nice co workers :) :wave
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

If you are working 'til 5pm has your manager agreed to pay you overtime?