ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Terrified of working at RM

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
clashcityrocker

Re: Terrified of working at RM

Post by clashcityrocker »

Bearcat@76 wrote:
03 Jun 2022, 12:50
Thanks for that, should I ask for a different workplace coach or would that ruffle a few feathers
You should voice your concerns to your manager and your union rep.
If it ruffles a few feathers so what?
Why not phone up Robin Hood

TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

Bearcat@76 wrote:
03 Jun 2022, 12:50
Thanks for that, should I ask for a different workplace coach or would that ruffle a few feathers
If you're doing the same walk each day and know your away around scanning packets/parcels on the PDA then what are you hoping to get from a different workplace coach to warrant potentially ruffling feathers? Unless you're really struggling/the manager is raising concerns about your work personally I'd keep my head down and just get on the job.

As frustrating as it sounds it's probably easier to get tips about the job from here and Workplace than in the DO, unless you happen to come across a helpful postie.
Bearcat@76

Post by Bearcat@76 »

Thank you.
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Welcome to Royal Mail. I didn't mean that sarcastically but reading your post I expect it could be taken as such.

I take it you've read back through the previous advice for New Starters? The level of training in this business is shocking .... as you've discovered. Just do your best. They used to teach that the Top Priority for being a Posties was "Security of the Mail". Basically if you're not sure of something, or can't find a certain address just bring it back. :thumbup Ask someone about it the next day and get clarification.

Nowadays the priorities seem to have shifted towards "Just Get Rid of Everything .... Somehow" :no no Try not to get stressed over it and try and work properly. Your Workplace Coach is probably just a Twat .... there's plenty of them about. He's getting paid £35 a week to train staff up... easy money if you're not doing anything, but as you say he treats you like an inconvience. :no no Depending on how well you want to get on with him in the future you could try asking him ... "Why don't you just do the job you're paid to do, and train me properly" Although I understand it's difficult to walk into a new workplace and start off as a stroppy bastard. You could find out who your Unit CWU Rep is and ask him to have a word with the Work Place Coach.... unless they're one and the same! Good Luck. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Bearcat@76

Post by Bearcat@76 »

Thanks for that much appreciated. Yeah I certainly have walked into something the other workplace coach seemed really nice. Like on my original post he was the first postie I met when in really early. I really wanted this job I enjoy being out in all weather's but the culture has thrown me into a resignation letter which I will be handing in tomorrow morning I'm so disappointed.
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Make sure you let them know exactly why you feel the way you do and perhaps send it further up the chain.

If for no other reason than to help those who come after you.
Only dead fish follow the current
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by aiden01 »

Bearcat@76 wrote:
03 Jun 2022, 19:50
Thanks for that much appreciated. Yeah I certainly have walked into something the other workplace coach seemed really nice. Like on my original post he was the first postie I met when in really early. I really wanted this job I enjoy being out in all weather's but the culture has thrown me into a resignation letter which I will be handing in tomorrow morning I'm so disappointed.
Do what you feel is right👍
Bearcat@76

Post by Bearcat@76 »

So handed in my notice this morning and explained to a manager it was not for me, he said what could we have done better, so I explained that i feel that the first couple of days could have been better. also explained that the PDA training could have been explained in more detail and I shouldn't have been put on a loop with everything post/parcels PDA, I know I made mistakes with the PDA etc on my own, but I was told you can make as many mistakes as you like for six weeks that's to be expected for new starters. I feel very frustrated that all I wanted was to be trained properly, not been introduced to the union rep. Maybe in hindsight I have had a lucky escape.
mjd24

Post by mjd24 »

Bearcat@76 wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 09:29
So handed in my notice this morning and explained to a manager it was not for me, he said what could we have done better, so I explained that i feel that the first couple of days could have been better. also explained that the PDA training could have been explained in more detail and I shouldn't have been put on a loop with everything post/parcels PDA, I know I made mistakes with the PDA etc on my own, but I was told you can make as many mistakes as you like for six weeks that's to be expected for new starters. I feel very frustrated that all I wanted was to be trained properly, not been introduced to the union rep. Maybe in hindsight I have had a lucky escape.
I sort of understand why you have quit but at the same time- could you not have stuck it out for at least a few weeks?! I suppose we all have different levels of resilience.

Looking back at my first 3 months at Royal Mail, it was horrendous in terms of how i was managed but also how i was(nt) able to integrate with colleagues. But i stuck it out and 15 years later im so glad i did. Dont always love the job (hate many things about it now) but overall I’ve enjoyed my time.

Maybe going forward you could set yourself a target of sticking with a new job for at least a month or two.
Wolf91

Post by Wolf91 »

Bearcat@76 wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 09:29
You gave up already?
Mine was s**t at the start - and the first few days, couple weeks, I felt similar...it was very hard.
You’re dealing with all that stuff and the stress of being a in new job and the new face on the block. That’s half the stress right there imo.
No one really trains you much, it’s a shambles in that regard, not saying that’s right but you just have to try and suck it up, learn what you can, do your best etc, management know what’s expected of you early on the first few weeks (not much).

You can’t really judge it until at least a month or so in - when you have learnt the ropes, everything becomes second nature, fitness improves, back at normal times, etc.

Learn to play the game too.
It’s definitely not for everyone though and there is a certain sink or swim culture around it.
Bearcat@76

Post by Bearcat@76 »

Thanks for your reply, the whole experience has been terrible, I think if I had a proper induction and a more positive workplace coach I may still be in the job, I just feel let down by poor training.
Sir Henry

Post by Sir Henry »

Poor training from a piss poor company.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Sir Henry wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 21:55
Poor training from a piss poor company. :Applause
Yep Great Job ... Shite Company. :thumbdown

When you look at the Have Your Say Results it reflects that. The Top Plus answers are about enjoying the work and being trusted to do the job, the Top Negative answers are all about Management not getting it right. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)