ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Wrong Tax Code?

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Bainesy

Wrong Tax Code?

Post by Bainesy »

Hi all got my first pay slip from RM last week I think i'm on the wrong tax code. It currently reads BR tried calling HMRC but say they cant do anything as it hasn't been longer than 5 weeks, does it correct it self after a while?

POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Wrong Tax Code?

Post by POSTMAN »

BR stands for Basic Rate and means all your income from this source is taxed at 20%. The code is normally used temporarily until your employer has all of the necessary details to give you a correct tax code and apply the correct income tax deductions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=br+tax+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Bainesy

Post by Bainesy »

Lovely thank you! Thought i was going mad haha.

So should I leave it and see what happens after the 5 weeks?
N|M
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by N|M »

Contact HMRC in 5 weeks, as there is a good chance you will stay on that code until April, i contacted them as i was on 380T :evil/mad so paid a lot of tax, just got it sorted this week, been with RM since November.
robynnehaynes

Post by robynnehaynes »

I joined RM at the start on Jan but have since quit (a whole other thing I won't go into). The three payslips I received I was on emergency tax code of OT which I've found out is 40%!!!

Am I likely to ever see that rebate/is there anything I can do or because it was only for a few weeks and RM never corrected it, has it gone forever?

Any advice would be much appreciated :Very Happy
N|M
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by N|M »

robynnehaynes wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 13:39
I joined RM at the start on Jan but have since quit (a whole other thing I won't go into). The three payslips I received I was on emergency tax code of OT which I've found out is 40%!!!

Am I likely to ever see that rebate/is there anything I can do or because it was only for a few weeks and RM never corrected it, has it gone forever?

Any advice would be much appreciated :Very Happy
Contact HMRC once you get to 5 weeks with new employer and any over payment in tax will be refunded, i contacted HMRC myself regarding this and got it sorted got refund back in this weeks up coming pay.

So its not lost.

Edit: also depends on how much total tax you have paid for the tax year. you can normally check your P45's and total up if in more than one job over the year.