ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Breaks not claimed

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
KernowDeth

Breaks not claimed

Post by KernowDeth »

I have been working now for 3 weeks and not had a proper meal break , 1st 2 weeks I was on a van doing collections and was eating as we were driving, this week I been doing deliveries and not had a break
Been doing between 5 and 9 hour shifts

I asked someone about breaks and they said you add them on if you don't take them I've worked it out at 6hrs I haven't claim for that I am entitled too as I didn't take them

Any advice please

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Breaks not claimed

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You have probably lost them now. But you ARE entitled to a break so I would always recommend taking them, even if it upsets you, delivery partner.

I will be frank one of the worst issues in RM is posties not taking their breaks. Royal Mail pays you when you take them so it does not make sense to me to work during them.

The law does say if you are expected to work more than 6 hours then the break should be somewhere in the middle of your shift. Any shift less than 6 hours is a grey area legally but Royal Mail

The rules on breaks are covered in the Way Forward agreement (even though it is 21 years old) and can be found Meal breaks attendance length.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

KernowDeth wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 16:41
I have been working now for 3 weeks and not had a proper meal break , 1st 2 weeks I was on a van doing collections and was eating as we were driving, this week I been doing deliveries and not had a break
Been doing between 5 and 9 hour shifts

I asked someone about breaks and they said you add them on if you don't take them I've worked it out at 6hrs I haven't claim for that I am entitled too as I didn't take them

Any advice please
If you are working regularly over 5 hours a shift I assume you are claiming overtime each day? If you are then simply add 30 mins to your finish time if you are not taking your breaks, hopefully, the manager will approve and pay it, if not ask him why you're not being paid to something your entitled to receive. As the other poster suggested, I fear you've now lost the 6 hrs you should have previously claimed but at least you should be paid for them in the future.
KernowDeth

Post by KernowDeth »

I submitted my weekly hours yesterday and added 6rs on for breaks
My manager replied with ill sort it so will see if I get it in next week's pay