ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Interview etc

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Devil0000

Interview etc

Post by Devil0000 »

Hi everyone , I have a interview next week it will be the first interview I been to since I left school about 20 years ago so am bit nervous, I want to know what to wear to the interview will casual do? or do I dress up smart ie tie,trousers and shirt which I don't have lol also how many references will I require ? Also I need to take some documents original aswell as photocopies so I plan on taking photocard license, passport and a recent bank statement will this be sufficient ? Thanks for any help

bcfcgaz

Re: Interview etc

Post by bcfcgaz »

I had my interview a few months ago and wore a shirt and tie, they do say smart/casual as dress code. Take passport, driving licence and bank statement and p45 if you have one and photocopy all of this, it's a good start as the manger I had the interview with seemed impressed I bought all the correct documents!
Try to relax and use the STAR method to answer the interview questions
Devil0000

Post by Devil0000 »

Thanks for the reply, am not a confident person and usually when put on the spot I start waffling lol but I'm going to give it my best shot I started to look around at some interview question and tried to make some notes to what going to say one question I can't seem to articulate is why I want to work for royal mail it asked ? Had a look around the web for some tips but come up with crap like ' royal mail is a key industry that has been around for centuries, it provides a unique service that others can't copy and I would be like to be with this progressive company to further enhance my skills ' lol
Db2012

Post by Db2012 »

Good luck with the interview. I started 2 weeks ago s fresh from a interview. There’s nothing to get concerned about and ask questions like what is customer service to you and other stuff that has nothing to do with delivering a parcel
bcfcgaz

Post by bcfcgaz »

Devil0000 wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 14:06
Thanks for the reply, am not a confident person and usually when put on the spot I start waffling lol but I'm going to give it my best shot I started to look around at some interview question and tried to make some notes to what going to say one question I can't seem to articulate is why I want to work for royal mail it asked ? Had a look around the web for some tips but come up with crap like ' royal mail is a key industry that has been around for centuries, it provides a unique service that others can't copy and I would be like to be with this progressive company to further enhance my skills ' lol
Why do you want to work for royal mail? Provide a key service? Like meeting people? Enjoy being outdoors and active?
Devil0000

Post by Devil0000 »

Db2012 wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 16:49
Good luck with the interview. I started 2 weeks ago s fresh from a interview. There’s nothing to get concerned about and ask questions like what is customer service to you and other stuff that has nothing to do with delivering a parcel
when I started in my current job in retail supermarket work never once got asked anything to do with retail, actually I didn't even have a proper interview it was more of when you available to start ? Would you be willing to change shift patterns ie nights to days ? And that was it lol as I was walking out the room I got asked what team I support as I had seen his tattoo which was man utd I said same team as you and we both started laughing
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

I think you'll find its a little more structured than that supermarket interview! But if your working instore, you must have some examples you can use to demonstrate how you've helped customers? Just use these as the basis for your STAR answer and if needs be pad it out a bit to make it sound better and how you have met customers expectations etc.

I was asked about working under pressure for extended periods of time and being resilient. This led into how i cope with repetitive tasks, and how receptive I was to business change etc. So coming across as a flexible and accommodating person that doesnt tire/bore easily and who's not afraid of progressive and continual business change seems to be what they like to hear.
Devil0000

Post by Devil0000 »

Yes plenty of examples to chose from and had to help some very demanding customers when moved on to the day shift from nights , thanks for all all the advice l.
Devil0000

Post by Devil0000 »

I had my interview today , postman 30 hour contract 9am/6pm , I did forget to ask one question how long is probation before you become permanent? Thanks for all the previous advice helped alot and the interview was like more a chat which helped with the nerves
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

Best of luck mate, hope you get it!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Devil0000 wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 15:10
I had my interview today , postman 30 hour contract 9am/6pm , I did forget to ask one question how long is probation before you become permanent? Thanks for all the previous advice helped alot and the interview was like more a chat which helped with the nerves
If it's a permanent contract then probation is about a year IIRC.

If it's a temporary contract then the contract will keep rolling over till they no longer need you, the probation period is also theoretically a year as well.

To be honest, if you're still with Royal Mail after about 2 months with no issues then the probation period is largely ignored (except when it comes to pay rates and pensions).
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Devil0000

Post by Devil0000 »

Thanks everyone for your help and support without this site I wouldn't have been successful , I had a email to say that I been successful and someone from royal mail will ring me tomorrow to discuss the offer and the process, any ideas what is going to asked /said ?