ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starter

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Dannysmudge

New starter

Post by Dannysmudge »

Hi

I've just been offered the job as postman with driving on 30 hour per week contract, 9-3 pm.

What is the chance of me doing these hours and any advice would be appreciated.

I am really in two minds as to take the job or just stay where I am, after reading some posts on this forum.

Dorset Plodder

Re: New starter

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Dannysmudge wrote:
03 Nov 2021, 13:16
Hi

I've just been offered the job as postman
Welcome to RMC DS. You've done well to discover us this early in your employment. :thumbup

If you've checked out some of the posts on here I'm sure you must have seen some of the advice for New Starters, try searching for them in the Blue Shirts Forum. There's a lot of people asking the same question at the moment. Good Luck. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

Dannysmudge wrote:
03 Nov 2021, 13:16
Hi

I've just been offered the job as postman with driving on 30 hour per week contract, 9-3 pm.

What is the chance of me doing these hours and any advice would be appreciated.

I am really in two minds as to take the job or just stay where I am, after reading some posts on this forum.
Not sure if it helps you at all? Im on day 3 of my placement with the agency after many unsuccessful applications for a permanent role.

I have to say that to a fair extent, what Ive read on here seems to be a reflection of a few things ive seen and experienced in just my first few days. Has it put me off? In short No, i think that the more research you do on here, the more prepared you become. If i was offered a permanent role, i'd definately take it. But then im coming from a the viewpoint of having been long term unemployed in an area where there isnt a great deal of work. Plus the location, hours and skill level really suit me and what my key drivers are for me at 52.

If your in a job and its bearable and stable, maybe its better the devil you know? - Only you can make the choice and if it seems like a big risk you need to have a long hard think. - So as I said, Im probably no help at all. lol

I wish you all the best in whatever you decide.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

What type of job do you do at present and how many hours do you now work/want to work in the future?

If you are restricted to only working 30 hours a week then just make that clear to your DOM if you accept the role.
Correo

Post by Correo »

The job you applied for will have said 9-3. Your contract will say something different. Possibly until 7.00pm,
Foxel

Post by Foxel »

Welcome. You'll be lucky to be back by 3 most days. If you take your break then likely no chance. Overtime is expected as the contact says.
Dannysmudge

Post by Dannysmudge »

Thanks for the replies.

I currently do 40 hour weeks working in a warehouse either driving forklifts or unloading container deliveries. I commute 45 min each way to this job.

I am just slightly worried about the walk distances. I have previously done order picking in the warehouse which involves dragging heavy pallets and also exercise either cycling or running 5 days a week.

Anymore info would be great.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

About 30-40k steps per day is average.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

Think of a paper boy, but heavier and it's sunday papers every day and you have a job lot peeps big packet sweets to deliver as well.
Think of your local news agent friendly guy, and imagine the complete opposite for management.
Think of your nice warm ish dry coolish warehouse and think of global warming in a 3rd world country.
Think of your friends and family and say goodbye to them, you will be too busy sleeping.
Think of your local estate, and imagine Kabul and Beirut together.
Think of dogs, imagine dungeons and dragons.
Think of your forklift, we have trolleys with dog poo on the wheels.
Think of your running and cycling, all you'll be able to do is, to think about it.
Think of knock down ginger.
Think of royalmailchat, think of the best website you've ever been on.

Hope this helps, welcome to the firm.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
ssdd

Post by ssdd »

That reminded me of the 'choose life' speech from Trainspotting. :chuckle
Dannysmudge

Post by Dannysmudge »

Surely it's not all bad.

How long on average are the rounds that you do?

I feel that I am quite active and fit so hoping I'm not too bad with the walking?

Anymore info would be great!!
mjd24

Post by mjd24 »

Dannysmudge wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 20:03
Surely it's not all bad.

I feel that I am quite active and fit so hoping I'm not too bad with the walking?

Between 4 and 5.5 hours, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. 20-30’000+ steps a day. In all weathers and you could be up and down hills and steps for a lot of that if you’re unlucky. I do enjoy the job but its properly hard work, and most days youve gotta be constantly pushing yourself hard to have a chance of delivering everything within your time.
ImogenM
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by ImogenM »

Dannysmudge wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 20:03
Surely it's not all bad.

In my relatively short amount of experience the rounds are between 4 and 6 hours most days, and recently it's more towards the longer end which I'm told will continue as we head towards Xmas (busiest time of the year). It's also carrying a large shoulder bag which can be pretty heavy, and can involve a lot of constant up and down stairs if you work in a city with old tenements.

I started earlier this year and do generally enjoy the work - I was also very fit and active before starting but it still took a few weeks for my body to adjust to it as it's quite different on the body than running/cycling etc - I took a lot of afternoon naps in the beginning!

I think it's a generally good job if you're okay with setting boundaries and standing up for yourself without it affecting you too badly (to the managers and other posties you are paired with sometimes) - for example knowing how long you're prepared to stay that day. You don't have to do overtime (you can finish on time every day if you want) but you might have days that you want to do a bit extra, so be ready to communicate that and stick to your guns if you get pushback.

The big downside in my opinion is you start out as a reserve which tends to mean you get moved around to different walks all the time (although there are some advantages there in variety and getting to know different walks and different posties' ways of working) and you don't know your day off more than a week in advance (you usually find out your day off on the Thursday/Friday of the week before) which makes planning for the rest of your life difficult. If you do stick with it though after a couple of years you'll probably have your own duty which means you get an actual rotational day off which is predictable well into the future.

Reading through the posts on here can make it sound like a bad job but personally I like it most of the time. I would still recommend reading through those posts though so you can go in prepared for some of the things that can happen/land on you during the course of the job, especially as a new starter, if you decide to take it.

Hope that helps!
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

I have to echo what ImogenM says above,

Had i not found this forum and done my due diligence, then I think my expectations of the workplace and culture would have been completely wrong and I would have been very surprised on seeing/discovering some of the things that pop up here daily, especially on workload and morale. However having read stuff on here, i feel that the opposite is also true in that in some aspects my expectations were a lot lower and I am pleasantly surprised at how friendly and helpful most of the staff are to new starters and I feel I have been made welcome and been allowed to make a few rookie errors as part of the learning curve.

This is going to sound ad odds with the majority of the posts on here, but im on my 5th day today and am just about to leave to clock on. Im really enjoying it and have no problems in working the 6 days a week for the next few weeks. Im averaging about 5 to 6 hrs a day so far.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Imogen that's a brilliant post thank you.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."