ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starter

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
mjd24

Re: New starter

Post by mjd24 »

ImogenM wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 08:57
Dannysmudge wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 20:03
Surely it's not all bad.

How long on average are the rounds that you do?

I feel that I am quite active and fit so hoping I'm not too bad with the walking?

Anymore info would be great!!
In my relatively short amount of experience the rounds are between 4 and 6 hours most days, and recently it's more towards the longer end which I'm told will continue as we head towards Xmas (busiest time of the year). It's also carrying a large shoulder bag which can be pretty heavy, and can involve a lot of constant up and down stairs if you work in a city with old tenements.

I started earlier this year and do generally enjoy the work - I was also very fit and active before starting but it still took a few weeks for my body to adjust to it as it's quite different on the body than running/cycling etc - I took a lot of afternoon naps in the beginning!

I think it's a generally good job if you're okay with setting boundaries and standing up for yourself without it affecting you too badly (to the managers and other posties you are paired with sometimes) - for example knowing how long you're prepared to stay that day. You don't have to do overtime (you can finish on time every day if you want) but you might have days that you want to do a bit extra, so be ready to communicate that and stick to your guns if you get pushback.

The big downside in my opinion is you start out as a reserve which tends to mean you get moved around to different walks all the time (although there are some advantages there in variety and getting to know different walks and different posties' ways of working) and you don't know your day off more than a week in advance (you usually find out your day off on the Thursday/Friday of the week before) which makes planning for the rest of your life difficult. If you do stick with it though after a couple of years you'll probably have your own duty which means you get an actual rotational day off which is predictable well into the future.

Reading through the posts on here can make it sound like a bad job but personally I like it most of the time. I would still recommend reading through those posts though so you can go in prepared for some of the things that can happen/land on you during the course of the job, especially as a new starter, if you decide to take it.

Hope that helps!
In my office everyone, reserves included, has a set pattern of days off and so knows their days off as far ahead in the future as you care to look.

ImogenM
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by ImogenM »

mjd24 wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 10:24
In my office everyone, reserves included, has a set pattern of days off and so knows their days off as far ahead in the future as you care to look.
That sounds amazing, I wish more offices did that!
Dannysmudge

Post by Dannysmudge »

Thanks for the replies.

I am just worried that I might not be able to continue running/cycling like I do now as from what I have read the rounds are really tough and some post speak of posties being completely exhausted after a walk.

How active would you say you was Imogen? Just so I could get a benchmark.

Do you think I will be able to continue cycling/running? Currently doing 6-8 hours a week and hoping for more? I currently run commute home which takes about 40 min with a running backpack on.

Cheers again
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

Dannysmudge wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 23:24
Thanks for the replies.

I am just worried that I might not be able to continue running/cycling like I do now as from what I have read the rounds are really tough and some post speak of posties being completely exhausted after a walk.

Do you think I will be able to continue cycling/running? Currently doing 6-8 hours a week and hoping for more? I currently run commute home which takes about 40 min with a running backpack on.

Cheers again
Every round is different so you can't really compare, you'll be basically walking anything up to 20K/30K a day depending on what round your given/how many hours you intend working a day, and also most likely putting letters etc though 500 or so letterboxes. Whilst initially you may not be able to do 6-8 hours cycling/running you'll be getting far more exercise daily anyway. Looking at the age/size of some of the posties in my DO I doubt it's as physically demanding as some posters on here make out! I doubt somebody as fit as you sound will find the job to physically demanding.
ImogenM
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by ImogenM »

Dannysmudge wrote:

Before starting I was averaging 20km a week running, quite a bit of cycling for commuting and going on walks of at least 7km twice a week as well as doing HIIT or strength workouts at least 3 times a week. That dropped off significantly for quite a while after I started but was able to improve it a bit, although not reached the level I was at before again yet.
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Dannysmudge wrote:

Just a question DS. Why do run & cycle? Is it to get fit?

If the answer is yes than what could be better than walking up to 10 miles a day, going up & down stairs carrying weight? :thumbup

I always find it amusing to see people beasting themselves about running & cycling and putting in the gym sesions. I have a personal theory that they work in offices or have sedentary jobs, sat at a desk punching a computer keyboard all day. Then my mind moves onto: "If you had a more physical job you wouldn't have the energy to do all that fitness training". :hmmmm

It seem counterintuitive that someone would be put off a labour intensive physical job ........ because it would interfere with their fitness training. :shock:

No disrespect I'm just interested in your thoughts on the subject. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

ImogenM wrote:
It's also carrying a large shoulder bag which can be pretty heavy, and can involve a lot of constant up and down stairs if you work in a city with old tenements.
You should not be carrying heavy bags, the MAX amount you should be carrying is 8kg, and tenements, they should then go down to 5kg, but both sets can be lower if YOU need them to be.
Don't kill yourself, sort the weights out.
Nobody in the business on delivery should be carrying overweight bags!
And dare I ask about trolleys?
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
ImogenM
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by ImogenM »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:53

If the answer is yes than what could be better than walking up to 10 miles a day, going up & down stairs carrying weight? :thumbup

I always find it amusing to see people beasting themselves about running & cycling and putting in the gym sesions. I have a personal theory that they work in offices or have sedentary jobs, sat at a desk punching a computer keyboard all day. Then my mind moves onto: "If you had a more physical job you wouldn't have the energy to do all that fitness training". :hmmmm

It seem counterintuitive that someone would be put off a labour intensive physical job ........ because it would interfere with their fitness training. :shock:

Personally, I enjoy running and cycling, so I actually want to do those things - it's not just some chore that I do because I have some other goal in mind. Additionally, the kind of fitness you get from intense cardiovascular activity is different to the stamina from a long steady walk.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

ImogenM wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 10:41
Dorset Plodder wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 15:53

Personally, I enjoy running and cycling, so I actually want to do those things - it's not just some chore that I do because I have some other goal in mind. Additionally, the kind of fitness you get from intense cardiovascular activity is different to the stamina from a long steady walk.
Nothing stopping a postie running their route! Although if your too knackered to do your usual cycling/running then surely it must be a bit more than a long steady walk, I did plenty of those during the lockdown and I certainly wouldn't compare them to doing a post round!
Cazlew

Post by Cazlew »

Every day feels like a race. You against completing the walk in the set time. The physical side of the job I find odd. Before this I could run, cycle, play footie. Now although I can walk for far greater distances my movement is more limited and I feel "old" . Wear and tear really kicks in when you are at it for 8 hours plus apposed to a couple of hours exercise. It's weirdly enjoyable though especially when finished at a decent time to enjoy the afternoon/evening.
ImogenM
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by ImogenM »

ImogenM wrote:
The big downside in my opinion is you start out as a reserve which tends to mean you get moved around to different walks all the time (although there are some advantages there in variety and getting to know different walks and different posties' ways of working) and you don't know your day off more than a week in advance (you usually find out your day off on the Thursday/Friday of the week before) which makes planning for the rest of your life difficult. If you do stick with it though after a couple of years you'll probably have your own duty which means you get an actual rotational day off which is predictable well into the future.
Thought I would update folks after this post which got a lot of engagement - I have now put my notice in and will finish at Royal Mail very soon. I still stand by my statements that I have really enjoyed the job itself and have been lucky enough to deal with lots of wonderful and supportive colleagues as well as many very understanding and helpful managers with only a few notable exceptions to both categories. There were many little niggles to the job but the thing that really ground me down and pushed me to resign was the unpredictability of my days off (only finding out the week before) and that I hardly ever got a Saturday off. I realised there was no expectation of getting a long term duty or even just an actual rotational day off for at least another year and probably longer based on talking to other posties at the DO. This meant I wasn't getting a good work/life balance and was missing out on a lot of the things that make life worth living! I will miss the job but it's definitely the right choice to move on.
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

ImogenM wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 20:06
I have now put my notice in and will finish at Royal Mail very soon.
Sorry that you've felt the need to hand your notice in Imogen. Your post explains the current problem with RM Management ..... put simply.

We have a terrible record for Retaining New Starters in Royal Mail. :thumbdown Our Rep is constantly reminding our DOM of this fact. Everytime he starts messing the Newbies about, swapping their duties & days off he's told, "Stop pissing the Newbies off, or they're going to Jack" :arrrghhh He spends an equal ammount of time trying to explain to our New Recruits that it's normally not as bad as this and they've chosen a bad time to join the company, hopefully things will settle down after Christmas :pray and DON'T GET STRESSED.

I know that more experienced Staff willl argue that we should all be treated the same and they get messed about as well. However I do fell we need to let the Newbies actually get in the door, and perhaps learn a bit about throwing off, tying up and actually delivering the mail .... BEFORE we start to really try and stress them out. I can certainly remember how stressfull it was to be moved about and having to deal with a New Duty, and all that involves. :crazy:

Your point about not having a regular rotation for your day off is very relevant. It should be manageable, that's what Resourcing meetings are meant to be about. How else can anyone book appointments? I've been in this situation as well and it does need Posties to approach the DOM and explain that ..... you really do need a Regular Day off. It's just down to shite management. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dannysmudge

Post by Dannysmudge »

Sorry to hear that Imogen.... I started last Wednesday, was put straight out on a walk with the workplace coach just posting letters. The day after I got my hands on a PDA and was scanning parcels etc without any training on how to do this. I have still yet to have any training.

Was moved to another walk this week and finish that one tomorrow to be moved onto a new one from Monday where I will hopefully stay.

I don't mind how fast paced it is as it seems to make the time go faster and have also been starting around 7.30 and finishing on time at 1.30. I am on a 30 hour contract. Im not to bothered about overtime so have been cutting off with my full time partner. All the walks I have done have been cleared out all except today.

Hopefully I can stick it out but still not been shown much I have grasped slightly on my own how to bundle up but throwing on the frame is like a minefield.