ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

2021 Collections Roles

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
CR1293

2021 Collections Roles

Post by CR1293 »

Hi All,

Hope you're having a cracking weekend.

With new starts, id like to ask the following (searched all over the forum can't find it)

1. I've been offered a royal mail collections role, the role involves collecting parcels from business customers, is this a common job?

2. The role states 20 hours, obviously living on 20 hours would be rough! Do collections staff have opportunities for overtime?

3. What benefits do long term Royal mail staff receive?

4. How long can I expect to work 20 hours before I obtain a longer contract?

The reason I'm asking this, is that id love to work at Royal mail, however the job ad was for a postie, not collections. Id like to gain some knowledge of any guys who do or have done this job for a while!

Id be walking from a half decent 40hr contract, in another role, but Royal mail better pay (subject to hours) and closer to home.

Thanks all

saintwiz

Re: 2021 Collections Roles

Post by saintwiz »

Sorry I can’t help with your question.

I have also been offered the same job, same hours starting a week tomorrow so would be interested to hear any answers.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

CR1293 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 15:41
Hi All,

Hope you're having a cracking weekend.

With new starts, id like to ask the following (searched all over the forum can't find it)

1. I've been offered a royal mail collections role, the role involves collecting parcels from business customers, is this a common job?

2. The role states 20 hours, obviously living on 20 hours would be rough! Do collections staff have opportunities for overtime?

3. What benefits do long term Royal mail staff receive?

4. How long can I expect to work 20 hours before I obtain a longer contract?

The reason I'm asking this, is that id love to work at Royal mail, however the job ad was for a postie, not collections. Id like to gain some knowledge of any guys who do or have done this job for a while!

Id be walking from a half decent 40hr contract, in another role, but Royal mail better pay (subject to hours) and closer to home.

Thanks all
1. Yes. It's like being a postie but in reverse.
2. Yes. If you work in a Delivery Office (DO) they will usually be overtime on the delivery side, if not on collections.
3. Extra Leave..... That's it. Basic pay is the same for all Delivery Office Roles. There is no extra wage for long term staff just because they have been there longer. But they are "legacy" allowances and bonuses from previous agreements.
4. That's open-ended but don't believe the recruiters when they say it's easy to increase your hours. You normally have to wait till a "duty" with more hours becomes available, and then apply for it. Some people waited years to get an FT contract, but others like myself only waited a year. It's all down to office turnover and how big an office you work in.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 10:51
3. Extra Leave..... That's it. Basic pay is the same for all Delivery Office Roles. There is no extra wage for long term staff just because they have been there longer. But they are "legacy" allowances and bonuses from previous agreements.
It's a maximum of 6 weeks leave for anyone (annual leave is done in hours), you can purchase extra leave to take you up to the maximum of 6 weeks. iirc the form for purchasing extra leave has to be in by the beginning of February
saintwiz

Post by saintwiz »

Thanks all…
CR1293

Post by CR1293 »

Appreciated, thanks for helping. Start tomorrow.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

Long term, 12 months plus., the RM pension contributions seem quite reasonable.

Collections seems a good role at present given all the issues raised on here regarding Revisions/lapsing etc on delivery rounds.
Correo

Post by Correo »

I'm doing collections at present - a small delivery round first then back to the depot for my collection round. That takes me a few hours over my contract to 35 hours.
saintwiz

Post by saintwiz »

CR1293 wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 13:38
Appreciated, thanks for helping. Start tomorrow.
How’s it going?
Have you done your driving assessment?
I’m not looking forward to that. Picked up too many bad habits in 30 years since my test. 😂
CR1293

Post by CR1293 »

Going well, driving assessment not booked until early December, due to deliveries needing the assessors as priority! Have you started yet?
saintwiz

Post by saintwiz »

Ok, you’d of thought that was a priority!!
I’ve an online course at home on Tuesday then in on Wednesday.
Security checks all done.
saintwiz

Post by saintwiz »

Online induction done today.
The comical Danny Dyer type thief video was highly amusing.

In the depot for the first time tomorrow.