ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Lunch?

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Viracocha

Lunch?

Post by Viracocha »

Evening all,

I start as a Postie soon and I’m just wondering how lunch break or fuelling yourself works.

Am I out all day on a route so need to take a lunchbox in a bag with any other stuff I need throughout the day or will I be back and forth to the office so I can leave lunch in a locker or?

Do I leave a bag in the van with my lunch and other stuff in if I’m out all day?

Just finding it difficult to foresee how things will work in that regard.

Thanks in advance! :)

world class male

Re: Lunch?

Post by world class male »

Viracocha wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 21:47
Evening all,

I start as a Postie soon and I’m just wondering how lunch break or fuelling yourself works.

Am I out all day on a route so need to take a lunchbox in a bag with any other stuff I need throughout the day or will I be back and forth to the office so I can leave lunch in a locker or?

Do I leave a bag in the van with my lunch and other stuff in if I’m out all day?

Just finding it difficult to foresee how things will work in that regard.

Thanks in advance! :)
no doubting you're p/t so won't need a break when f/t take their breaks :left:
you'll end up eating on the go which shouldn't happen but will, personally i'd sooner sit on the toilet than in a regular van for food,
make sure you have water and ask where toilets are (if any) beforehand
it did get a bit tough with all the pubs/cafes shut
Viracocha

Post by Viracocha »

Yes, p/t.

Thanks for the tips.

So it's a case of taking pack up with my base for the day being the van rather than the office?
AlbertHerbertHawkins

Post by AlbertHerbertHawkins »

If I were you I'd bring a bag with lunch, a water bottle, a lightweight waterproof depending on chances of rain. You'll find out soon enough what you'll be doing and how your office works, but chances are you'll be out in a van when you want to eat lunch so can leave your bag in there. If you're van sharing hopefully your partner will be understanding with a new person and take a break to give you a chance to eat.

You'll get 30 minutes break if you go over 5 hours in the day, 40 minutes over 7 hours, and most likely it'll be up to you how you take it. And you should definitely take it, if you're not used to walking so much it can be hard if you don't stop.
Viracocha

Post by Viracocha »

Thanks!
ImogenM
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by ImogenM »

AlbertHerbertHawkins wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 09:35
If I were you I'd bring a bag with lunch, a water bottle, a lightweight waterproof depending on chances of rain. You'll find out soon enough what you'll be doing and how your office works, but chances are you'll be out in a van when you want to eat lunch so can leave your bag in there. If you're van sharing hopefully your partner will be understanding with a new person and take a break to give you a chance to eat.

You'll get 30 minutes break if you go over 5 hours in the day, 40 minutes over 7 hours, and most likely it'll be up to you how you take it. And you should definitely take it, if you're not used to walking so much it can be hard if you don't stop.
Also if your walk partner isn't up for stopping so you can have a break, make sure that you claim your overtime if adding your break to your finish time would take you over your finish time.
world class male

Post by world class male »

ImogenM wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 16:39
AlbertHerbertHawkins wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 09:35

Also if your walk partner isn't up for stopping so you can have a break, make sure that you claim your overtime if adding your break to your finish time would take you over your finish time.
please no!
if you want something to eat, just sit down and eat, don't go without for fear of upsetting someone who probably already had something, tough if they moan, don't make yourself unwell if just starting, early absence won't go down too well,
it's hard enough to get round as it is without food/drink inside
Viracocha

Post by Viracocha »

Thanks!
Foxel

Post by Foxel »

After working at one depo for 10 months, this week was the first time I've seen anyone take a break. Normally people are rushing round to get finished earlier. On a few rounds I've done taking a break would mean not getting pillar box collections back in time. I always make sure to be paid for them though.