ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

1st day tomorrow...

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
MurphyD

1st day tomorrow...

Post by MurphyD »

Hi guys,

Completed my online induction today and my first day at the office is tomorrow. I've got no uniform yet.... just wondering if its acceptable to wear shorts on my 1st day, its due to be red hot tomorrow.
Cheers.

fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: 1st day tomorrow...

Post by fb1969 »

As long as they're not too short shorts they should be fine.

No logos, slogans (though a Nike 'tick' or similar would be fine) etc and probably best to have plenty of pockets if possible - you'll need them!

Then again, at our office you'll be sitting indoors watching videos on your first day.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
MurphyD

Post by MurphyD »

A smart pair of grey cargo shorts it is then. Thanks for the help.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

Cargo = pockets = good thinking :Very Happy Pop some pens in the pockets before you set off!
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
MurphyD

Post by MurphyD »

👍
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

MurphyD wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 14:57
Hi guys,

Completed my online induction today and my first day at the office is tomorrow. I've got no uniform yet.... just wondering if its acceptable to wear shorts on my 1st day, its due to be red hot tomorrow.
Cheers.
Best of luck mate hope it went well today for you.

Im definately jealous.... I was unsuccessful on one application, got another in but just waiting to hear back.

Regards Norfolk
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

How are you getting on?
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
MurphyD

Post by MurphyD »

Into my 3rd week now and after a tough couple of weeks to start with, I feel like i'm fine with most aspects of the job now. I've done my driving training and I've done my own walk on my own in the van with heavy and large parcels thrown in as well this week, it went well.
My main problem now is I think I've got shin splints in my left leg, it's really painful. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm worried it's going to affect me going forward.
ssdd

Post by ssdd »

MurphyD wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 00:01
Into my 3rd week now and after a tough couple of weeks to start with, I feel like i'm fine with most aspects of the job now. I've done my driving training and I've done my own walk on my own in the van with heavy and large parcels thrown in as well this week, it went well.
My main problem now is I think I've got shin splints in my left leg, it's really painful. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm worried it's going to affect me going forward.
Hi mate. Glad you're not throwing in the towel like a lot of other new starts at the moment. How's your fitness level? It can be quite demanding being a Postie! Yes, I've had shin splints, and more. You will get aches and pains going forward, and in other places too. Search the term 'prehab' for some good advice. I'm not being flippant here. This will serve you well in future if you are able to put what you find into practice. If the shin splints get worse, then you'll need to rest, for however long that takes, bearing in mind the need for movement during the recovery period. In the meantime I would try some stretches coupled with a warm bath with some Epsom salts. DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, just what I would do.
Current advice is to ice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-splints/
But the RICE guy says not:
https://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/why-ic ... overy.html
korky

Post by korky »

MurphyD wrote:
i got them on both legs when i first started, and yes, it's awful
do you have decent footwear on?
i changed mine as i realised the cheapest oldest pair i had wasn't really meant for the job and the pain went away very soon after
ssdd

Post by ssdd »

korky wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 07:32
MurphyD wrote:
i got them on both legs when i first started, and yes, it's awful
do you have decent footwear on?
i changed mine as i realised the cheapest oldest pair i had wasn't really meant for the job and the pain went away very soon after
Yeah, meant to add that too. What can help also - regardless of what footwear you use - is a good pair of supportive insoles. Not the cheap ones, they don't last. Something like Powerstep, Spenco, Superfeet or others of that quality.
dudek05

Post by dudek05 »

MurphyD wrote:
I got shin splints when I started 2 years ago. The problem was the comfort flex trainers when I swapped to Magnum Banderas I was fine