ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Newbie here! don't know what to expect

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
P0ST13P

Newbie here! don't know what to expect

Post by P0ST13P »

:shock:

Hi everyone,

I AM BRAND NEW TO Royal Mail, never done postal work before and looking forward to a new challenge. I have just completed my online induction training and due to start at the delivery office tomorrow.

I have been offered a 24hr fixed contract for 6 months, but I am sooo anxious about the working schedule. I have two daughters at home, one starting secondary school and one starting nursery. Just curious of what the hours I will be expected to work will be and how I can fit this in with family life.

Anyone else find themselves in this predicament currently/previously? Have you any advice or tips?

I don't want to come across as not flexible but I need to organise childcare too. Please help :angel

ssdd

Re: Newbie here! don't know what to expect

Post by ssdd »

Hi, and welcome. On a 24 hour contract (split over 5 days presumably) that gives you a working day of 4h 48mins. Say you start at 9.30am, that will take you to 2.18pm. That should be enough time to drop off and pick up the kids.
Exact hours between offices may vary, but if you make it clear to the manager of your other commitments from the outset, this sort of schedule should be achievable.
Best of luck tomorrow...
Samjordan12

Post by Samjordan12 »

Hi did you manage to sort this out? I start next week and I feel a little anxious about this too.
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

Samjordan12 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 12:39
Hi did you manage to sort this out? I start next week and I feel a little anxious about this too.
Its different for everyone. Im just converting from agency to permanent. Ive been offered a 20hr contract, yet on average Ive been doing 42-46hr weeks since i started 3 months ago. I cant image that ill just drop to 20hrs overnight. But as others say/do if you dont want to work over, just do your time and see how it goes.