ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Joining RM on a 6 month temp contract or staying at my current job?

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
ronaldinho0097

Joining RM on a 6 month temp contract or staying at my current job?

Post by ronaldinho0097 »

Hi all.
Listen I've wanted to be a postie ever since leaving school. I think the work appeals to me greatly and I reckon I'll fit in like a glove.

I have been offered a 20hr part time contract on a temp 6 month basis at my local DO. I was told in the interview that I'd most likely be working 30hrs a week due to the demands of the business.

It's all sounding great however the temporary contract really does concern me.
I'm currently a delivery driver for tesco and I do enjoy the work and the environment, most of all I've got job security and don't have to worry if I'll be kept on or not.

My question is, just how realistic is it for RM to keep me on as a postie after the 6 months?
I would hate myself if I left this job and went in to RM only to be kicked out 6 months later despite my best efforts.

What would you do having worked for RM? Any advice is appreciated

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Joining RM on a 6 month temp contract or staying at my current job?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You are best probably asking a local postie to see how quick the turnover of staff is at that office.

At mine, the new starters have been quitting so much that they offer a temp/casual contract at first, then after renewing it every 6 or 3 months eventually they set the ones who stay the course on a permanent contract.

It may be the same for your new office, but it also may not that's why I suggest getting a local picture.

Ps, I had a Tesco delivery driver asking me about 6 weeks ago what the work was like I wondered if he has started yet, he seemed interested. Also at least you'll be used to the useless PDA, I think you use the same model as ours.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
ronaldinho0097

Post by ronaldinho0097 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 08:16
You are best probably asking a local postie to see how quick the turnover of staff is at that office.

At mine, the new starters have been quitting so much that they offer a temp/casual contract at first, then after renewing it every 6 or 3 months eventually they set the ones who stay the course on a permanent contract.

It may be the same for your new office, but it also may not that's why I suggest getting a local picture.

Ps, I had a Tesco delivery driver asking me about 6 weeks ago what the work was like I wondered if he has started yet, he seemed interested. Also at least you'll be used to the useless PDA, I think you use the same model as ours.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I will try to get a quick chat with a postie around here to ask their opinion, good idea. Having slept on it I'm feeling like taking the chance and just going for it, if the contract doesn't get renewed then so be it, I'd have done 6 months aw a postie which is sure to help me in future RM applications. Tesco are always looking drivers too so I could fall back on that.

Just a quick question for you out of interest. What do you enjoy most about your job and what don't you like about it?
clashcityrocker

Post by clashcityrocker »

ronaldinho0097 wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 15:47

Just a quick question for you out of interest. What do you enjoy most about your job and what don't you like about it?
Like - outdoors
Don't like - managers.
Why not phone up Robin Hood
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

I was told in the interview that I'd most likely be working 30hrs a week due to the demands of the business.
I wonder if anyone ever turns rounds and says, well why am I not on a 30hr contract then?
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

ronaldinho0097 wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 15:47

Like : Home time
Don't like : Start time
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:

We've got 3 new posties on 6 months contracts and I'd be a bit surprised if they weren't all made permanent when there 6 months were up, as if they leave our DOM would have to find replacements, Before accepting the offer and resigning from your Tesco role just make sure you were up to walking up to 20K per day in all weathers, plus be ready to work plenty of overtime if our DO is anything to go by.
world class male

Post by world class male »

If you keep a very good attendance record during your probationary period then it's very likely you would be kept on unless you make many regular howlers such as mis-deliveries, failed scans, denials of receipt.

Be prepared for some management to treat you like dirt if you need to finish on time and despite being new, they may expect you to be up to full speed after day 1 and even if you went an hour or so over to complete the previous days/weeks they may take offence.

Also you need to be thick skinned with some fellow posties who may grumble if paired with a new starter, don't take it personal, it'll be managements fault for not giving extra help which could force the other guy to either go into overtime or have a battle to leave mail in.

It sounds like you're already half ok being a delivery driver now as PDA and local street knowledge is already there, just need a calm head and build up speed without rushing which leads to mistakes, it's also a very physical job so unless you're young and relatively fit, expect fatigue

and the golden rule last, always ask about potential dog attack risks!
tractorboy2
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by tractorboy2 »

Why do you want to leave Tesco ?
ronaldinho0097

Post by ronaldinho0097 »

tractorboy2 wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 10:33
Why do you want to leave Tesco ?
It's not so much that I hate the Tesco job. It's pretty easy. Zero stress and pressure and now with covid we don't have to carry 20 bags of shopping up stairs anymore. It's more the fact that I've been looking to be a postperson for quite a while now so turning down the opportunity would be foolish.

I could be wrong however and I could possibly be trading a secure cushy role for one that didn't live up to expectations.
ronaldinho0097

Post by ronaldinho0097 »

TopperGas wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 21:36
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:

We've got 3 new posties on 6 months contracts and I'd be a bit surprised if they weren't all made permanent when there 6 months were up, as if they leave our DOM would have to find replacements, Before accepting the offer and resigning from your Tesco role just make sure you were up to walking up to 20K per day in all weathers, plus be ready to work plenty of overtime if our DO is anything to go by.

The walking bit is something that actually attracts me to the role although 20K seems like a whole lot of walking. I am young and relatively fit and I do expect to be fatigued for the first while.

Regarding the overtime, is it forced upon you? How exactly does overtime allocation work? Is it something that gets put on the rota or are you asked on a day-day basis could you do this could you do that etc etc? I'm all for overtime to be honest as long as its not taking the piss
ronaldinho0097

Post by ronaldinho0097 »

world class male wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 06:45
If you keep a very good attendance record during your probationary period then it's very likely you would be kept on unless you make many regular howlers such as mis-deliveries, failed scans, denials of receipt.

Be prepared for some management to treat you like dirt if you need to finish on time and despite being new, they may expect you to be up to full speed after day 1 and even if you went an hour or so over to complete the previous days/weeks they may take offence.

Also you need to be thick skinned with some fellow posties who may grumble if paired with a new starter, don't take it personal, it'll be managements fault for not giving extra help which could force the other guy to either go into overtime or have a battle to leave mail in.

It sounds like you're already half ok being a delivery driver now as PDA and local street knowledge is already there, just need a calm head and build up speed without rushing which leads to mistakes, it's also a very physical job so unless you're young and relatively fit, expect fatigue

I don't understand how a manager could expect a new start to be up to speed after day one. Putting pressure on new starts too soon and expecting them to know things right off the bat will only lead to poor morale and making mistakes, not to mention high staff turnover, which I believe is an issue right now with posties.
world class male

Post by world class male »

ronaldinho0097 wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 12:32
world class male wrote:

I don't understand how a manager could expect a new start to be up to speed after day one. Putting pressure on new starts too soon and expecting them to know things right off the bat will only lead to poor morale and making mistakes, not to mention high staff turnover, which I believe is an issue right now with posties.
Yes it sucks, and it does happen, some take to it like a duck to water, i've seen agency staff perform at an excellent level, some probably better than us
but some also struggle, especially the physical side and unless they get help to get them up to a satisfactory speed can quit rather too soon,
mostly due to the treatment performed by management (and some posties i may add)
pot luck if you end up at a decent office, speak to your own and ask their opinion before jumping in
my own opinion is that its a great job once out on the streets, but sadly pressure from above are ruining the job
ronaldinho0097

Post by ronaldinho0097 »

world class male wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 12:57
ronaldinho0097 wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 12:32
world class male wrote:

Yes it sucks, and it does happen, some take to it like a duck to water, i've seen agency staff perform at an excellent level, some probably better than us
but some also struggle, especially the physical side and unless they get help to get them up to a satisfactory speed can quit rather too soon,
mostly due to the treatment performed by management (and some posties i may add)
pot luck if you end up at a decent office, speak to your own and ask their opinion before jumping in
my own opinion is that its a great job once out on the streets, but sadly pressure from above are ruining the job
It's a pity that some walk away too soon. They could have stayed and found they love the job. I don't mind a bit of pressure put on as it can keep us sharp but undue pressure and expectation for a new start is too far.

I used to work in a care home. The pressure there was absolutely insane. The short staffing issue should've been illegal. At points it was 1 carer to 12 residents, I managed to stick that out for a year so I can't imagine RM being that bad :chuckle
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

Definitely try and speak to a postie at the office you are looking at, some offices are far better (or worse) than others. I have only known maybe two managers who were capable of managing people, and a lot of the problems are caused by or made worse by managers!

At our place overtime is fairly freely given as long as you get the delivery completed. Once you have a bit of experience you are often asked to work your day off. We have had 3 or 4 new starters in the last few months and every one of them is now asked to start early every day. A lot of the rounds, especially the van shares, are too big so if you are happy to stay out then the overtime is usually there. If you are not prepared to stay out, then be prepared for a conversation (or argument) with a manager about why you won't complete the delivery.

I have seen good newbies leave after a few months because they got fed up with being messed about all the time. Told one week their day off next week was the Thursday, then going in the following Monday to find the day off was now the Tuesday - that sort of thing every week. Being put on one duty and preparing it, then being moved to another duty - one person just walked out when it happened for the third time in a week, and some mornings they were moved two or three times!

Like about the job = the outside element of the job, despite the weather at times.
Hate about the job = the inside element of the job, toxic atmosphere at times and very poor management.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.