ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

part timers discrimination

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Karolina

part timers discrimination

Post by Karolina »

Part timers and full timers in my office used to take brakes at the end of duty and went home early.
Managers force part timers to take a 30 minuts brake outdoor, now. Full timers still can take their brake at the end of duty, 20 minuts indoor and 20 minuts at the end, going home early.
What can I do in this circumstances. These work hours do not suit my daughters school hours any more and I simply feel discriminated. This is not the first time in my office managers have discriminated PT and reserves. I would not mind if all the same rules applied to everyone. In that case I will have to pay an extra £18 a week for my daughters bus pass but, if I could take the same break at the end I would not have to pay extra £80 a month. Any advice I would appreciate it.

yellowbelly

Re: part timers discrimination

Post by yellowbelly »

You're not being discriminated against, it looks like you're being treated less favourably than the F/T'ers - a subtle difference.
And from what I remember of the agreements breaks of 30mins or less are not supposed to be split down into 20/10, 15/15 whatever,
whereas 40 mins or more can be.

I can't see how you took on the job on the proviso that you'd be able to take your break at the end of the
day so you could get home to pick up your daughter. If that's what somebody told you did you get it written
down as a local agreement, otherwise if not I think you were misled.
Karolina

Post by Karolina »

That is the same „ Discrimination especially occurs when individuals or groups are unfairly treated in a way which is worse than other people are treated”
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Nobody is being discriminated against or treated unfavourably.

1.Legally you're only entitled to 20 minutes break.
2.Legally you have to take that 20 minutes as near as practical to the middle of your working day.
3.The collective agreement (Way Forward 2000) does not allow for the splitting of breaks less than 40 minutes
4.On top of that breaks are not dependent on contracted hours but daily attendance.
Only dead fish follow the current
Neil_Hutch

Post by Neil_Hutch »

Karolina wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 18:15
That is the same „ Discrimination especially occurs when individuals or groups are unfairly treated in a way which is worse than other people are treated”
It's the same at my depot. The full time/permanent staff are 'I'm alright jack', us part time contract staff get less favourable treated i.e. discriminated against.
I don't have a rolling Saturday/Mondays as my rest day continually gets reset to any day that stops me achieving it. I also get told no single days off, when permanent staff have many.
guardianangel

Post by guardianangel »

Karolina wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 15:03
Part timers and full timers in my office used to take brakes at the end of duty and went home early.
Managers force part timers to take a 30 minuts brake outdoor, now. Full timers still can take their brake at the end of duty, 20 minuts indoor and 20 minuts at the end, going home early.
What can I do in this circumstances. These work hours do not suit my daughters school hours any more and I simply feel discriminated. This is not the first time in my office managers have discriminated PT and reserves. I would not mind if all the same rules applied to everyone. In that case I will have to pay an extra £18 a week for my daughters bus pass but, if I could take the same break at the end I would not have to pay extra £80 a month. Any advice I would appreciate it.
Personally i think the union should stop all breaks being taken in vans ,no toilet facilities and no wash facilities,all breaks should be taken in the middle of duties and all back at office,just my opinion.