ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starter hours and uniform

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
route101

New starter hours and uniform

Post by route101 »

Hi

I start at RM soon at at DO office. Few questions.

Do you get a uniform on the first day? Was thinking of cargo trousers, dont fancy jeans. Not sure about a jumper/jacket. I have a hi vis.
Hours are 9 to 248, is that to get out of paying an hour? Man at interview said 830 to 330 across the week and Sundays was mentioned.

Dorset Plodder

Re: New starter hours and uniform

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Welcome to the Mad House Route101. :thumbup At least you've discovered RMC early. This'll help you out a lot when you have to start dealing with Lack of Training, Lack of Information & Bullshitting Managers. :crazy:

I doubt if you'll get any uniform Day One, apart from RM Hi-Vis. Don't stress as most Posties wear a lot of Civvie Kit anyway, because most of it is better. Just be sensible in your choice, it needs to be comfortable for a few hours outdoor walking. Most Posties seem to prefer their own trainers anyway, although if you ever have a trip or fall you'll be in the crap for not wearing the issued footwear. Personally I don't mind the RM issued footwear, it's not that bad, and as you'll be going through at least four pairs of Boots/Trainers a year I'd rather RM was paying for them. :hmmmm

You're right about Jeans they're a No No. :no no When they get Wet they stay Wet and get bloody Cold. Cargo Pants are great as you've extra pockets for cards, pens, elastic bands etc. Any quick Drying Artificial fibres are good. If you get Grey it's the same as RM issue. :thumbup

I'd suggest a thin fleece type top, with a high zip up collar, and a Windproof Jacket. They're normally spare RM Storm Coats lying about the office to borrow until you get your own. You'll find once you're out and about you warm up and don't really need very thick fleeces & Jackets, unless it's really COLD.

Looks like you've got a 35 hour contact, which is good for a New Starter. Just ask the DOM (Delivery Office Manager) to show you your Contracted Hours. There's a difference it's not what he Wants you to work, it's what you :shock: Have to work.

We're looking at perhaps having to have Sunday Deliveries (Parcels Only) so that's why the interviewer mentioned it. Either way your DOM can explain your duties. Good Luck. :cuppa
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 08 Apr 2021, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
route101

Post by route101 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 13:07
Welcome to the Mad House Route101. :thumbup At least you've discovered RMC early. This'll help you out a lot when you have to start dealing with Lack of Training, Lack of Information & Bullshitting Managers. :crazy:

I doubt if you'll get any uniform Day One, apart from RM Hi-Vis. Don't stress as most Posties wear a lot of Civvie Kit anyway, because most of it is better. Just be sensible in your choice, it needs to be comfortable for a few hours outdoor walking. Most Posties seem to prefer their own trainers anyway, although if you ever have a trip or fall you'll be in the crap for not wearing the issued footwear. Personally I don't mind the RM issued footwear, it's not that bad, and as you'll be going through at least four pairs of Boots/Trainers a year I'd rather RM was paying for them. :hmmmm

You're right about Jeans they're a No No. :no no When they get Wet they stay Wet and get bloody Cold. Cargo Pants are great as you've extra pockets for cards, pens, elastic bands etc. Any quick Drying Artificiale fibres are good. If you get Grey it's the same as RM issue. :thumbup

I'd suggest a thin fleece type top, with a high zip up high , and a Windproof Jacket. They're normally spare RM Storm Coats lying about the office to borrow until you get your own. You'll find once you're out and about you warm up and don't really need very thick fleeces & Jackets, unless it's really COLD.

Looks like you've got a 35 hour contact, which is good for a New Starter. Just ask the DOM (Delivery Office Manager) to show you your Contracted Hours. There's a difference it's not what he Wants you to work, it's what you :shock: Have to work.

We're looking at perhaps having to have Sunday Deliveries (Parcels Only) so that's why the interviewer mentioned it. Either way your DOM can explain your duties. Good Luck. :cuppa
Thanks for the info. Now on the search for cargo pants, with the shops shut gonna be harder to get right size. My contracted hours are 29 actually, as 5 6 hour shifts. Although I would want to take it up to 35.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

If its a 29 hour contract it answers your question about it being 0900-1448. That is 5hr 48m a day, five days a week makes 29 hours. It is more than likely there will be more than 5hrs 48m of work most days, that is the Royal Mail way - they assume most people will want overtime and will stay out, then when they go on leave etc they only get pay for their contracted hours.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
route101

Post by route101 »

fb1969 wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 19:45
If its a 29 hour contract it answers your question about it being 0900-1448. That is 5hr 48m a day, five days a week makes 29 hours. It is more than likely there will be more than 5hrs 48m of work most days, that is the Royal Mail way - they assume most people will want overtime and will stay out, then when they go on leave etc they only get pay for their contracted hours.
I was wondering why you don't finish at 3. How do you ensure you clock in and out for shifts and make sure you are paid for OT?
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

At the moment there is a *manual" signing in sheet - the time you start, the time you go out on delivery, the time you're back from delivery and the time you finish. There are separate sheets for claiming overtime - make sure you know when/what your (paid) break is, and where to claim overtime.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

route101 wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 11:10
Hi

Do you get a uniform on the first day? Was thinking of cargo trousers, dont fancy jeans. Not sure about a jumper/jacket. I have a hi vis.
Hours are 9 to 248, is that to get out of paying an hour? Man at interview said 830 to 330 across the week and Sundays was mentioned.
Read the stickies!
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
route101

Post by route101 »

Is a hoody ok on the first day?
route101

Post by route101 »

POSTMAN wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 20:14
route101 wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 11:10
Hi

Read the stickies!
Yes I have, looking for some more opinion.
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

route101 wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 20:09
I wouldn'r worry too much about it mate. Half the staff look like A Bag of Shite tied in the middle! If you showed them an Iron they wouldn't recognise it, let alone know how to use it! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

route101 wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 20:09
Yes as long as its not political or garish.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."