ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Offered job, accepted, ignored, then told unseccessful?

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Greengarden

Offered job, accepted, ignored, then told unseccessful?

Post by Greengarden »

I was offered a job via email with the congratulations email and said please reply and they will ring the day after and to also email across certain documents. I did so, had no reply, emailed again, no reply. Now today 3 weeks after getting the email thinking my life was going to change and finally get the job I want and waiting so I can hand in my notice to where I'm currently working to wake up this morning to receive an email from the same person saying I have been unseccessful?? What on earth is going on? This is completely disheartening as I have reached out and been ignored and now I wake up to this? Why would a company tell you you have a job, you accept the job, then ignored, then weeks later get an email saying you were unsuccessful when I was awaiting a start date??? They said that others scored more points but I am on the waiting list. But I was offered the job three weeks ago??? What is going on royal mail?

mjt120

Re: Offered job, accepted, ignored, then told unseccessful?

Post by mjt120 »

Royal mail is a complete mess personally as some one who's worked for over 12 years i wouldn't recommend it to my friends. It's a hard job with dishonest managers. If you do join please join the union as the managers try in on with new starters and take advantage big time, just be careful it's not the job people think it is. Just go and read the forum comments it should tell you what you will be letting your self in for.

Good luck I wish you well.
scoobydo79

Post by scoobydo79 »

Someone was leaving then changed their mind?🤔
Asmad
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Asmad »

It's not half as bad as potrayed by half the comments on this forum.

Depending on your office, your role, your walk.it can be a very enjoyable job. Take half the things said on here with a pinch of salt.
tomtallis
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by tomtallis »

Including the previous comment
Greengarden

Post by Greengarden »

I was just initially very dissapointed as I was getting my life sorted and ready for the job change. I just don't understand how you can tell someone they got the job, and then ignore them and then three weeks later make out you didn't offer them a job and that they were unsuccessful...when I clearly wasn't? Messing around with someone's life in this way isn't really on from a national company. However because this has happened I'm obviously not going to want to work for a company that does this to people. Messing someone about in this way emotionally and professionally is a horrible thing to do.
Greengarden

Post by Greengarden »

scoobydo79 wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 15:05
Someone was leaving then changed their mind?🤔
Still Shud have been informed instead of made out like I had a job and then acting like that never happened. Very unprofessional
redlen

Post by redlen »

Once you accept the position that is secured in the contract of employment, they just cannot cancel that contract without your consent,

The only exception will be if they stipulate it "Subject to references" or Security/health checks, etc being a condition of employment

That is the case with Royal Mail recruitment

Saying that, the response "Someone had higher scores" does not cut the mustard as an excuse. Keep that email and seek independent legal advice for possible breach of contract
Greengarden

Post by Greengarden »

They weren't withdrawing the job offer. They said I had it and passed the interview and would be in touch with a start date. Then sent another email over 3 weeks later saying I hadn't passed the interview. There is so reason at all i would have failed any checks. If they were withdrawing it they should have said this and they didn't. They weren't withdrawing anything. I replied straight after the email was sent to the latest one basically saying hang on what's going on? You said I had the job. The reply was an auto response saying the person was on holiday. How could they have emailed me if they were on holiday? All seems to be rather utterly odd and really unprofessional. Who knew royal mail operations were such a joke
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by WASD »

Could have been a mistake. Someone took over/ covering while the person who offered you the job is on holiday.

Chase it, and chase it more if you're keen. Also keep an eye out for agency work, and get your foot in that way.

Us posties have no communication with HR or anyone above our several floor managers. The job is not what you think it is, it's fine however short term.

There was a chap on this forum about a year ago, saying the same as you are about job he wanted to do etc. He had experience in many previous roles also. He finally managed to get in via agency, then got struck off after his hard work and lots of overtime done.

I leave very soon, and the new place i'm going is a complete farce i've noticed already, and i've not even started. The company is as big as RM too doing a government contract.

Good luck :thumbup as
Norfolk 'N' Chance

Post by Norfolk 'N' Chance »

WASD wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 12:57
Could have been a mistake. Someone took over/ covering while the person who offered you the job is on holiday.

Chase it, and chase it more if you're keen. Also keep an eye out for agency work, and get your foot in that way.

Us posties have no communication with HR or anyone above our several floor managers. The job is not what you think it is, it's fine however short term.

There was a chap on this forum about a year ago, saying the same as you are about job he wanted to do etc. He had experience in many previous roles also. He finally managed to get in via agency, then got struck off after his hard work and lots of overtime done.

I leave very soon, and the new place i'm going is a complete farce i've noticed already, and i've not even started. The company is as big as RM too doing a government contract.

Good luck :thumbup as
Might that have been me WASD? I was terminated by the agency thats true! i continued to work for several weeks after that unpaid... at one point it was up to nearly 120hrs unpaid. But eventually i was offered a permanent role. Im still here and love it! and many thought i wouldnt stick it.

Like the original poster, I passed the interview but the job was given to a higher scoring candidate. So just being told you passed the interiew in RM speak isnt actually the same as being offered a job. I gave up via the direct route... 7 times i tried and only one interview in all that. The irony is that all the time i was on the agency i was on a higher rate. so it would have been cheaper to have given me the job in the firstplace!
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

It clearly worked for you but it's beyond belief that a company which made nearly £1B profits last year would allow anybody to work for free. There would be an uproar if that was happening in a sweatshop!
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by WASD »

Norfolk 'N' Chance wrote:
19 Aug 2022, 19:42
WASD wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 12:57
Might that have been me WASD? I
Yes. Glad you got in, but unpaid work in that amount is a bit mental.