ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is overtime really optional??

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Anderson21

Is overtime really optional??

Post by Anderson21 »

Someone on a 27hr contract, is it really upto them if they work overtime or not? I mean, it seems very.. expected of me to work overtime, thats the vibe I get, and if I don't? Am I just blowing the chance of getting my temp contract extended? I'm really only interested in doing the 27hr, as I left my last job so I can spend more time with my kids, and this job seems perfect for that.. do any of you stick 100% to.your gun? Or do you bend now and again?

RoboPostie

Re: Is overtime really optional??

Post by RoboPostie »

Managers mustn't tell you to do overtime, but there is (heavy) implicit pressure from them to do it. It suits the business financially.

I feel for your predicament. To be honest, I think your best option is to be as flexible as possible while a temp, until they make you permanent. Then lay down the law that you don't do overtime- make them organise your workload to fit into the hours you're contracted to do.
TopperGas

Re: Is overtime really optional??

Post by TopperGas »

RoboPostie wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 09:37
Managers mustn't tell you to do overtime, but there is (heavy) implicit pressure from them to do it. It suits the business financially.

I feel for your predicament. To be honest, I think your best option is to be as flexible as possible while a temp, until they make you permanent. Then lay down the law that you don't do overtime- make them organise your workload to fit into the hours you're contracted to do.
I can foresee it'll be pretty difficult being flexible whilst under a temp contract then laying down the lay as soon as you are made permanent, I'd just agree now the maximum you prepared to do in the future, if you are good they won't want to lose you just because you refuse to do overtime.