ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How many rounds?

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Anderson21

How many rounds?

Post by Anderson21 »

I'm just wondering, as someone who will be starting a 27.5hr contract soon, how many rounds on average do people take out? Or how many boxes in a 6hr shift would I be looking to hit? I don't mind getting put on different routes, because I suppose the more you do, the less surprises you get over time.. I'm just wondering interms of volume. Thanks.

R5001

Re: How many rounds?

Post by R5001 »

A round is a round. Typically you'll be partnered up with someone and take two between you, but there are solo rounds that exist.

In an ideal world, it'll take around 4-4.5 hours to deliver any given round, but in reality, it will vary significantly. The actual quantity is variable as hell. If you have 10 blocks of flats, that could take as little as half an hour if they have grouped letterboxes on the ground floor, easily 100 addresses, on others if you have 10 farms all half a mile apart...

Until you see the round it's hard to give you a real expectation. Just remember you're an employee, not a slave. You should expect to "go over" and claim overtime a fair bit whilst you're getting used to it, but you don't need to stay past your contracted time, at anytime, unless you want to.

Minor edit:

at 27.5 hours I wouldn't be expecting to do much prep work (The indoor part) so 5x4 or 5x4.5 is 20 or 22.5 hours. Plus you get a *Paid* 30 minute break.
TopperGas

Post by TopperGas »

Anderson21 wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 18:29
I'm just wondering, as someone who will be starting a 27.5hr contract soon, how many rounds on average do people take out? Or how many boxes in a 6hr shift would I be looking to hit? I don't mind getting put on different routes, because I suppose the more you do, the less surprises you get over time.. I'm just wondering interms of volume. Thanks.
Do you mean rounds (which is what we refer to as the whole walk) or loops (which is the round broken up into...loops)?

To answer your question you'll be given a round/walk and expected to complete it regardless how many loops/boxes it entails delivering, from my own experience expect to walk up to, & sometimes over, 20K per day delivering post plus any K's required to get to the start of the round if it's a trolley. based round.
Anderson21

Post by Anderson21 »

R5001 wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 18:43
A round is a round. Typically you'll be partnered up with someone and take two between you, but there are solo rounds that exist.

In an ideal world, it'll take around 4-4.5 hours to deliver any given round, but in reality, it will vary significantly. The actual quantity is variable as hell. If you have 10 blocks of flats, that could take as little as half an hour if they have grouped letterboxes on the ground floor, easily 100 addresses, on others if you have 10 farms all half a mile apart...

Until you see the round it's hard to give you a real expectation. Just remember you're an employee, not a slave. You should expect to "go over" and claim overtime a fair bit whilst you're getting used to it, but you don't need to stay past your contracted time, at anytime, unless you want to.

Minor edit:

at 27.5 hours I wouldn't be expecting to do much prep work (The indoor part) so 5x4 or 5x4.5 is 20 or 22.5 hours. Plus you get a *Paid* 30 minute break.
Thanks for that reply, lots of info in there, I guess I'll have to wait and see, I've seen it a few times in these threads, that if you don't take your break you can claim it as OT? I never used to take a break when I was self employed courier tbh, but I suppose that was job and knock and this isn't, or can you get yourself away home if you do happen to finish before your time? I'm guessing no haha. The appeal of this for me is that'll it'll fit around my wife's job, and it means I'll see my kids more, so I'm hoping there isn't that unspoken pressure and hints of working more days and hours.. I don't mind pitching in to help out, but hopefully i do my contract more then anything else. It says "rotating day off" do you think there's chance I'll get shafted on this? Apologies for rambling haha
Anderson21

Post by Anderson21 »

TopperGas wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 20:53
Anderson21 wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 18:29
Do you mean rounds (which is what we refer to as the whole walk) or loops (which is the round broken up into...loops)?

To answer your question you'll be given a round/walk and expected to complete it regardless how many loops/boxes it entails delivering, from my own experience expect to walk up to, & sometimes over, 20K per day delivering post plus any K's required to get to the start of the round if it's a trolley. based round.
Jesus over 20k? Atleast ill lose the pot haha.. I think the worst will be in winter when the floor is ice.. I'm the worst and staying balanced 😄 🤣. We'll see what happens, I hope its atleast tolerable, enjoyable at a push.. I shall update in a month or so after I start
SY2021

Post by SY2021 »

I work a 30hr week, started in December.

I am expected to do an hour or so throwing off letters and prepping my round in the morning with my partner. Then between us we do two walks in around 4.5 hours.

One walk is 8 loops the second is 6 loops. They are quite parcel and packet heavy and include three lots of flats which lock at midday and some stupid upside-down houses with the letter box up a flight of stairs 🙄

When I have a partner who keeps pace it is easily achievable in the time and we finish in time to take our breaks so we can leave early. 😊
Anderson21

Post by Anderson21 »

Christ.. you do ok then to get through that in that time, are you usually with someone? Do you get to drive also? I'm just waiting on my checks to come back to get a start date, looking forward to getting back to work. Is it about 20k a day for you walking then like most people say it'll be? Lastly, how are you enjoying it? You seem upbeat, alot of people don't seem to like it, but you get them in any job really, they are usually the ones that have done 30yrs plus haha. Thanks for the reply
SY2021

Post by SY2021 »

Sorry for the delay!

I usually have a partner. It's supposed to be an experienced full timer, but my usual one is on longterm sick atm so I have whoever is avaliable. On occasion I am by myself in which case I only do one walk (which ever looks heaviest) or half a walk and tracked parcels for both.

During the quiet times I can do a bag in 20-30 minutes. The driver usually has slightly shorter routes as they need time to deliver larger parcels that won't fit in bags.

I do the driving, though technically my position is a non driving one, bur as I know the walks it makes sense for me to drive the less experienced people to where the loops start and I'm quicker getting the parcels in order.

I easily walk 20k steps in a day which equates to approx 10 miles.

I really enjoy it. There were some teething issues with training and finding out what I was actually expected to do was like pulling teeth.
pieoftheday

Post by pieoftheday »

Anderson21 wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 22:27
R5001 wrote:

Minor edit:

Thanks for that reply, lots of info in there, I guess I'll have to wait and see, I've seen it a few times in these threads, that if you don't take your break you can claim it as OT? I never used to take a break when I was self employed courier tbh, but I suppose that was job and knock and this isn't, or can you get yourself away home if you do happen to finish before your time? I'm guessing no haha. The appeal of this for me is that'll it'll fit around my wife's job, and it means I'll see my kids more, so I'm hoping there isn't that unspoken pressure and hints of working more days and hours.. I don't mind pitching in to help out, but hopefully i do my contract more then anything else. It says "rotating day off" do you think there's chance I'll get shafted on this? Apologies for rambling haha
You can take half your break at the end of your shift but if you dont use the other half you cant book it as overtime
pieoftheday

Post by pieoftheday »

pieoftheday wrote:
18 May 2022, 17:05
Anderson21 wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 22:27
R5001 wrote:

Minor edit:

You can take half your break at the end of your shift but if you dont use the other half you cant book it as overtime, you just lose it. On the other hand if you work overtime then extra breaks can be added,I forget how much per extra hours worked