ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mail Centre (Processing) - New Starter Pay Queries

Forum for info, hints and tips about working for us through Royal Mail not Angard.This is an open forum.
Lockardian
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Mail Centre (Processing) - New Starter Pay Queries

Post by Lockardian »

I’ve worked at a mail centre for several years, employed by Angard, and may soon have the opportunity to transfer to a Royal Mail contract (application made, awaiting interview etc).

I’m familiar with the Angard pay structure (even if a nightshift spans Sat/Sun or Sun/Mon, for example, we get paid the same rate for all hours based on the day the shift starts - so a Saturday through-night is paid at weekday night rate, a Sunday through-night is paid at Sunday night rate). Similarly, a twilight shift (say 1800-0200) is paid at nightshift rate for all hours, based on the fact it includes three hours between 2300-0500).

So a Sunday nightshift receives the highest hourly rate - between £19.77 and £21.01 depending on length of service. A weekday nightshift is paid at an hourly rate between £13.94 and £15.18, again dependant on length of service. I’m on the highest tier having worked for Angard over 52 weeks (much longer, in fact - so I also accrue more holidays, but that’s by the by).

I understand that the pay structure for Royal Mail staff works very differently - a basic hourly rate, then various allowances, and on a Saturday night, for example, hours after midnight receive a Sunday allowance, whereas on a Sunday nightshift, only hours before midnight attract those allowance). I’m not sure how twilight shifts are paid in this respect.

It’s difficult to get any information about what pay rates to actually expect on a Royal Mail contract - in particular for weekday nightshifts, weekend nightshifts etc. I’ve been told that as a part-timer, any additional hours up to 37 hours may not attract nightshift allowances, for example. So would that mean a nightshift worked as “overtime” would be paid at day shift rate?

It’s all very confusing. I’ve looked at (out of date) rate cards on here but they aren’t easy to interpret. Can anyone point me to an idiots guide, or give any further information?

I don’t mean to sound ungrateful at the opportunity to be employed directly by Royal Mail - I know that agency staff in other offices would welcome this opportunity. But when there are implications that my pay may actually go down, I would like to have an idea of what to expect.

Any info would be welcomed.

POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Mail Centre (Processing) - New Starter Pay Queries

Post by POSTMAN »

Guys will be on no doubt but a rough guide here, add 1%...
Pay Rate Guide - CWU Represented ex-Letters Grades in Royal Mail Operations :2021
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Lockardian
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by Lockardian »

Thanks @Postman, but it’s difficult to make head or tail of that. I will print it out and attempt to understand it.

I was rather hoping someone would say “You get about £12.50 for a late shift, £15.00 for a night, £18 for a Sunday” etc.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

Bump : Can some of you MC peeps help him out?
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Tamsk
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by Tamsk »

Can't speak to Sunday shifts, but this point:
Lockardian wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 17:34
I’ve been told that as a part-timer, any additional hours up to 37 hours may not attract nightshift allowances, for example. So would that mean a nightshift worked as “overtime” would be paid at day shift rate?
No overtime, up to or beyond 37 hours, attracts any shift allowance. So yes.

Lessee... *digs out payslip from earlier in the year*. This is when I was on a 16-hour contract, Mon 13:30-21:30 and Sat 10:00-18:00, and working overtime Tue/Wed/Thu 22:00-06:00, for an overall 40 hours a week. It's from before the most recent payrise, still on a 38-hour working week, and you'll be on a lower basic pay rate for the first year, but it may be indicative nonetheless?

Basic Pay 16.00 [hours] 190.95
Defined Area Supp W01 4.21
Processing Supplement 4.31
Mixed Shift (Pens) 4.85
Weekday OT1 1st 10 Hrs W/C 22-03-21 2.00 [hours] 24.08
Weekday Overtime @SSPR W/C 22-03-21 22.00 [hours] 280.94
PSE Adj RMDCP 6% -11.46
Arrears of PSE Adj RMDCP 6% -15.75
Gross Pay 482.13
Lockardian
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by Lockardian »

Thank you Tamsk for sharing that information. Not a huge difference in your basic pay compared to Angard’s once shift and processing allowances are added, but a substantial difference with the “overtime”, where we would always get a rate that includes shift allowance.

Someone mentioned to me something called “withdrawal” - something along the lines of this: if you opt to do overtime/additional hours you are “withdrawn” from your normal duty (eg. as a late shift processor) and “put into” the duty you are covering (eg night shift processor) so you will receive all the relevant allowances. This person works on the distribution side (H&L sorting) so I don’t know if they have different rules regarding OT. Does this mean anything to anyone?