not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Climate emergency

16 Sep 2019, 19:17

countryboy wrote:
k979aaa wrote:Well in a relative age of peace and calm I speak not as a person who is against the whole debate of climate change nor one who is advocating against it but as someone who looks at the history of our nation and it's geology in recent times we could say the world is warming. The thing is land masses on the tectonic plates move but also do the ice sheets or lack of them and in times past we never had ice at the poles or any where on earth but other times the ice was as far south as Cardiff to Lincoln it is a time in history we cannot doubt that geology changes in time. The problem is people put people in harms way by building these homes near oceans or other disasters that are waiting in the wings nor can we plan for the next ice age nor stop it happening we can react to disasters in fact the whole world could experience global cooling event before the impact of the whole industrial revolution takes effect. This is not to say we should not control our output but alas one tiny nation will not help the 45 states in the USA or the whole of China or Japan or indeed the whole world but let me add if one big Volcano went up tomorrow we would reverse our thinking in one moment!

So is that a yes to doing something about our contribution to the global problem or not bother? It's quite an important week what with the global climate strike on Friday the 20th so if you could spread the word. In the meantime I'm trying to find out what Royal Mail's position is on those of us who intend to walk out on Friday and will try and let people know.

You wont get paid and its not a official dispute theyd hit you with wilful delay.

Climate emergency

16 Sep 2019, 21:27

That's terrible! Don't RM realise how important it is for Climate Protesters to leave work in this way? The world could end if they don't get to sit in the road somewhere... :crazy:

Climate emergency

20 Sep 2019, 06:07

Tman and Leo are right, I've been told that I do not have permission to attend the event today. I'd volunteered to have my pay docked and we have the staff to cover my duty so it's fairly obviously political. I'd already been informed by a policy advisor at CWU that this would be how it went so am not that surprised.
I'll be pressing some buttons during this coming week in preparation for next Fridays global strike and will come back just to let people know how it
plays out.

Climate emergency

20 Sep 2019, 10:16

"Obviously political"? More like every employer's right to say when and if staff can be absent.
I don't suppose whoever refused your leave request gave a monkey's if you were going to block some street with a hay bale, go to the local dog show or go and visit your mum.
You don't need to give a reason why you want leave and leave can't be refused simply because your gaffer doesn't think it's a good enough reason.

Climate emergency

20 Sep 2019, 14:10

Tman wrote:"Obviously political"? More like every employer's right to say when and if staff can be absent.
I don't suppose whoever refused your leave request gave a monkey's if you were going to block some street with a hay bale, go to the local dog show or go and visit your mum.
You don't need to give a reason why you want leave and leave can't be refused simply because your gaffer doesn't think it's a good enough reason.

No mate, you miss the point. I didn't want leave. I was clear about my intentions to support the climate protest locally which would have meant
leaving work. I offered to do that unpaid. The decision not to let me go, which my manager sought advice for, was about what I was doing not whether
there were staff to cover me. The CWU also advised against me taking independent action. But given that there are some unions actively supporting
workers to take action given the nature of the issue I now need to clarify what the CWU's official position is. I hope to do that over the coming week in
preparation for next Fridays Earth Strike.

Climate emergency

20 Sep 2019, 15:44

But the earths more important, just go to it and tell them you dont want your job. I mean thats what you tell other people to do when your blocking the road and making them unable to go to work.

Its time to put up or shut up!

Climate emergency

20 Sep 2019, 16:32

countryboy wrote:
Tman wrote:"

No mate, you miss the point. I didn't want leave. I was clear about my intentions to support the climate protest locally which would have meant
leaving work. I offered to do that unpaid. .

Whether you offered to do that unpaid or not is irrelevant, you still wanted time off when you should have been at work, and it was refused.
Your manager's primary concern is seeing that the job gets done, and while she/he should be flexible and sensible when those unavoidable life circumstances occur, helping you (or anyone else) to attend whatever whimsy that comes along is not part of that remit.
This is how things are in the big boy's world.

Climate emergency

21 Sep 2019, 03:06

countryboy wrote:
k979aaa wrote:Well in a relative age of peace and calm I speak not as a person who is against the whole debate of climate change nor one who is advocating against it but as someone who looks at the history of our nation and it's geology in recent times we could say the world is warming. The thing is land masses on the tectonic plates move but also do the ice sheets or lack of them and in times past we never had ice at the poles or any where on earth but other times the ice was as far south as Cardiff to Lincoln it is a time in history we cannot doubt that geology changes in time. The problem is people put people in harms way by building these homes near oceans or other disasters that are waiting in the wings nor can we plan for the next ice age nor stop it happening we can react to disasters in fact the whole world could experience global cooling event before the impact of the whole industrial revolution takes effect. This is not to say we should not control our output but alas one tiny nation will not help the 45 states in the USA or the whole of China or Japan or indeed the whole world but let me add if one big Volcano went up tomorrow we would reverse our thinking in one moment!

So is that a yes to doing something about our contribution to the global problem or not bother? It's quite an important week what with the global climate strike on Friday the 20th so if you could spread the word. In the meantime I'm trying to find out what Royal Mail's position is on those of us who intend to walk out on Friday and will try and let people know.

Well what I will say on this is the earth is far more powerful than the whole of the population of the earth climate change is part of the process of the earth we can effect it but only a bit what fossil fuels are the remnants of past life forms. Will we become the fossil fuels of the future in a mass extinction event possibly more worried about the 20000 Nuclear weapons in the hands of dictators at the moment than all the power stations Forrest clearing and all the transport in the world. These will be the real threats of our time just as in the 1960s 1970s 1980s we have recently seen an escalation in by all sides in the global dynamics of political extremism and this should be on all our minds. We cannot get away from is human advancement has effected the climate but we would and could not assess that without those advancements nor would we have life as we know it and to find the equilibrium whilst advancing our knowledge without making other problems unseen now till 200 years later like rare earth metals used in wind farms!

Climate emergency

26 Sep 2019, 19:32

Attended a climate strike last week, was excellent, noticed a lot of ordinary folk out shopping or heading to/from work in attendance or stopping to listen to speeches. The students were great and showed not only an understanding of the issue that would shame most adults but also curiosity and logic, two qualities sorely missing amongst the majority of grown ups. All power to them.

Climate emergency

27 Sep 2019, 12:06

26l34 wrote:Attended a climate strike last week, was excellent, noticed a lot of ordinary folk out shopping or heading to/from work in attendance or stopping to listen to speeches. The students were great and showed not only an understanding of the issue that would shame most adults but also curiosity and logic, two qualities sorely missing amongst the majority of grown ups. All power to them.

how did u all get there?

Climate emergency

27 Sep 2019, 13:59

Had a lovely stroll into town in the late summer sunshine :cool

Climate emergency

27 Sep 2019, 14:51

26l34 wrote:Had a lovely stroll into town in the late summer sunshine :cool

Well done!!, now get all the other concerned people you meet with to scrap their cars as well and we might be getting somewhere

Climate emergency

27 Sep 2019, 15:54

leolion855 wrote:
26l34 wrote:Had a lovely stroll into town in the late summer sunshine :cool

Well done!!, now get all the other concerned people you meet with to scrap their cars as well and we might be getting somewhere

You're really not doing yourself any favours here.
Can only the truly pure dare question the devil's plans?
Jesus wept.

Climate emergency

28 Sep 2019, 09:17

It seems that yet again you perceive that a personal put-down is a valid response.
Leo has a point; how did those "protesters" get to the demo? Did they all walk or ride a bike?
Were they wearing clothes manufactured in the Far East in sweat shop conditions, and powered by coal-fired power stations? Were these clothes then transported half way around the world in a big diesel-powered container ship, belching smoke all the way?
Were they happily taking selfies, sending texts and making calls on their mobiles, devices needing rare earth elements from places like the Congo and mined using child labour?
Did they eat food produced within a few miles of their homes, or was it salads from Almeria in Spain, Greek olives, Brie from France, a nice bottle of red from Australia, etc etc?
The list goes on.
Mr 21634 may hate the phrase "virtue-signallers" but it's entirely apt for this scenario. "Look at me, I'm doing my bit" when in reality they're doing nothing of worth in the slightest.
A litter-pick of the local beach, park or woodlands would be far better, but that requires effort and isn't likely to get them on TV or F-B so is far too mundane for them.

Climate emergency

28 Sep 2019, 22:11

As we’ve discussed before, generally the sort of ‘virtue signallers’ you speak of are nearly always engaged in the sort of activities you deem more worthy and useful. Our city’s XR group is very centred in and around a large church, which does a great deal of work in the local community, both environmentally and socially. Generally I find that anyone who’s prepared to put their head above the parapet about a particular cause will back that up by doing hands on work and also by supporting other causes (many of the attendees at our rally are active both in the local Labour Party and also a human rights charity with a solid presence in the city).

Sent from my iPhone.

Climate emergency

03 Oct 2019, 17:32

I guess these ones are more of the "stunt for the media" type than of the litter-picker variety-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... blood-hose

Well done to all concerned...a major concern turned into such a jolly jape. :roll:

Climate emergency

03 Oct 2019, 17:37

Does anyone have a link to the scientific facts that prove cc is happening please

Climate emergency

04 Oct 2019, 19:10

Google.com :thumbup

Climate emergency

07 Oct 2019, 09:31

26l34 wrote:This entire thread is just littered with you regurgitating right wing talking points and put downs, own them.

You disagree with their tactics which I don’t have an issue with but this is deeper than that - you concoct ridiculous, patronising stereotypes .

And right on cue-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48607989

Is the pink-haired one Henrietta or Hobbit today? :Very Happy :whistle

Climate emergency

07 Oct 2019, 15:44

What's the connection to hair colour Tman?
It's just that my granny was fond of blue, purple and pink rinses and I'm wondering if I should re-asses her political credentials.

Is it really so beige and conservative around your way that you see hair colour as a political statement? Most of the under 30s seem to be sporting some bright colour in their hair these days. When was the last time nurse let you out unsupervised?

Previous page Next page

Page 8 of 10   1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10