not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Climate emergency

30 Aug 2019, 14:48

Hi everyone, I don't know and maybe don't care if this is the correct forum/place to raise the issue of climate emergency but it's getting too
late to worry about it frankly. Basically, I joined Extinction Rebellion a few months ago and was in London taking some action with others at that time.
I'm now preparing for the protesting to start in earnest again, for a minimum of two weeks, from October 7th. I know this sounds a bit sad but I'm looking
for someone to go with/join me. I felt that the odd one out when I was lined up across the road stopping traffic on the previous occasion. There were lots of
younger people, students, hippies, whatever you want to call them but there were also plenty of likeminded older and perhaps not so obvious 'protester' types.
I made a point of going in uniform as I think there must be thousands of 'workers' like me who feel similarly but don't take any action. The wearing of uniform, I hope, identified me to others and could, as I saw it, promote the idea in them that this was about everybody not just students and the retired.
The uniform was certainly a talking point if nothing more but suggested to me that if we were there in numbers that it would send a powerful message
particularly if it were picked up by the media. I stress that this is me just trying to do my bit and I do not have a long history of protesting. But if there's one
thing we can't do without it's the planet so if this stirs anything in you please contact me. Mark

Climate emergency

30 Aug 2019, 15:25

I can join you on the protest but got the feeling we might end up arguing and will fall out as I have much more than “recommend “ 2 kids by family therefore don’t think I will be welcomed there?

Climate emergency

30 Aug 2019, 16:13

Hiya, thanks for the response. My kids and their kids are my main motivation for getting involved so would say you have all the more reason. I see supporting this
cause as on obligation given the time I've had on the planet and I want to try and make sure the place is still usable for them.

Climate emergency

30 Aug 2019, 17:11

Well done for making everyones lives a little harder and making the environment worse because cars are idling whilst they are waiting for your sit in to end. Top work. :nana

Climate emergency

30 Aug 2019, 18:50

Jesus wept.
I'll be honest countryboy, you don't want these guys covering your back.
It might be better for the Earth if it ceases to be habitable for humans. It's just a shame we'll take most living things with us.

Climate emergency

30 Aug 2019, 19:28

Strap me to a tree and call me Brenda! The damn Youtube code NEVER works for me

Climate emergency

31 Aug 2019, 05:37

Thanks for the responses. I'm 62 and been a postman (which I love) for 15 years so know what I'm up against in terms of some of the short
sighted attitudes around me. But you gotta plough through. And anyway, if you've got stop/start on your motor the pollutionless peace
and quiet gives people a chance to reflect whilst you hold them up.

Climate emergency

31 Aug 2019, 18:05

im just curious to know why the people that do the sit think its ok to interrupt everybody else's lives whether they like it or not. If you believe in climate change and want to sit in your house with a coat on and walk the 8 miles to the local shop to fetch your groceries everyday good luck to you that great, but why should i have my lifestyle changed for you to do it?
For example if i were to try and close a street by lying in the road because i think greggs are selling to many donuts id be arrested.

Climate emergency

31 Aug 2019, 18:28

My wife’s recently got involved in a new ER group that’s been set up near us, hoping to get along myself soon but working lates and nights makes attending difficult. Good luck to anyone involved, you’ll meet loads of resistance from folk who’ve never had a single original thought in their lives but you’re on the right side of history, future generations will thank you.

Climate emergency

01 Sep 2019, 08:19

I sense it's gonna be a struggle to get 'leolion' to come on this journey with us..but that is exactly what we're up against. I don't know why he and I feel
differently about what's happening to the climate and what to do about it. I do know that I'm new to this and some sort of penny has dropped in me.
I also think that we all find excuses when we can't be bothered to get off our backsides and, like a lot of people, I've got away with that for most of my life.
But this is beyond everything. I don't wanna wind people up by keeping them at the traffic lights for seven minutes (it feels like ages) and then get slagged
off for holding them back. And yet you talk to those people (if they will..) most of them feel the same as me! It doesn't matter what you're doing or
where you're going, if you haven't got a planet to do it on you've got nothing. And that's why I'm out there. It's not right for me/us to sit around waiting for
others to carry the fight and, given what we've all experienced over the last three years (yes, I'm talking Brexit) how on would I trust the politicians to dig us
out of this one.

Climate emergency

01 Sep 2019, 08:22

I re-read my own post and saw that I'd missed the word 'Earth' out of the last sentence..a missing Earth-spooky..

Climate emergency

01 Sep 2019, 17:20

countryboy wrote:I sense it's gonna be a struggle to get 'leolion' to come on this journey with us..but that is exactly what we're up against. I don't know why he and I feel
differently about what's happening to the climate and what to do about it. I do know that I'm new to this and some sort of penny has dropped in me.
I also think that we all find excuses when we can't be bothered to get off our backsides and, like a lot of people, I've got away with that for most of my life.
But this is beyond everything. I don't wanna wind people up by keeping them at the traffic lights for seven minutes (it feels like ages) and then get slagged
off for holding them back. And yet you talk to those people (if they will..) most of them feel the same as me! It doesn't matter what you're doing or
where you're going, if you haven't got a planet to do it on you've got nothing. And that's why I'm out there. It's not right for me/us to sit around waiting for
others to carry the fight and, given what we've all experienced over the last three years (yes, I'm talking Brexit) how on would I trust the politicians to dig us
out of this one.

The simple reason i wont come on the journey is because in forty years ill be dead anyway.So im gonna do what i lawfully feel like doing at the time. If i feel like driving a v8 round and round a racetrack at 9mpg then i will cause in forty years time ill be worm food anyway. Yes i know its selfish but if humanity cared about everyone else then nothing would happen cause everything has an effect.

Its ironic that anyone working for rm would think this way because using a plane numerous trucks and vans to deliver a letter when an email does the same thing must be the most polluting thing there can be, yet if we didnt do it we would all be living in a tent permanently cause you wouldn't have a job!

I have read that your in your 60s countryboy? So youve done what you wanted to do all your life and now you want to prevent people younger from having the same fun you did?

Im still yet to be convinced anything is happening anyway. The thames used to freeze up in the 1800 and it stopped by the early 1900s, did anyone run around saying were all going to die in twenty years time then?

Anyway, if you can get co2 down with interfering with the lives people have now and without disrupting them in the process to get your point across then i dont have a problem, its when i start to have other peoples view point and forced to change how i want to live when i get a bit arsey. Im also the same with political protest. No one in parliment is going to listen so whats the point? Look at the dont invade iraq protest for example.

Climate emergency

01 Sep 2019, 19:31

leolion855 wrote:Its ironic that anyone working for rm would think this way because using a plane numerous trucks and vans to deliver a letter when an email does the same thing must be the most polluting thing there can be, yet if we didnt do it we would all be living in a tent permanently cause you wouldn't have a job!

email is probably just as polluting when you consider the electricity required to power all of the data centres and any other routers and/or servers between the data centres and your own computer

Climate emergency

02 Sep 2019, 16:19

You've made your point Leo, it's not for you, fair enough

Climate emergency

02 Sep 2019, 17:37

countryboy wrote:You've made your point Leo, it's not for you, fair enough

I appreciate that thankyou. Now if you could tell your ER buddies to think along the same lines and respect 'non believers' rights to go about there lives uninterrupted that would super! :thumbup

Climate emergency

02 Sep 2019, 18:56

respect 'non believers'

But you've already made it clear you have zero respect for his position.

You have no intention of changing your disruptive and destructive way of life that is at an individual level seriously arsing it up for everyone on the planet so why should 'believers' give a toss what you think?

Climate emergency

02 Sep 2019, 22:50

Pretty much every right and privilege we enjoy were fought for and won, often by folk interrupting the routines of people too privileged and/or ignorant to care about life outside their bubble. All power to them.

Have only seen these protesters stopping city centre traffic and closing a few ring roads, unless it’s absolutely necessary anyone driving a car through the streets of central London or Birmingham or Manchester is a moron who’ll be spending most of their time stuck in traffic anyway, a few more minutes won’t hurt.

Climate emergency

03 Sep 2019, 07:34

Woody Guthrie wrote:
respect 'non believers'

But you've already made it clear you have zero respect for his position.

You have no intention of changing your disruptive and destructive way of life that is at an individual level seriously arsing it up for everyone on the planet so why should 'believers' give a toss what you think?

ok.
My way of life. I get up, i drive to work, i drive round to deliver my parcels. i drive home. One day a week i drive to the shops to fetch food and other necessary items. Then i dont go out i sit at home and watch tv dramas/motorsports. I never go on holiday.ive used a plane and train once in my entire life when there was no other choice.

What is disruptive in all that to jonny polar bear?

Maybe the climate change luvvies who jet in to preach at events around the would and then use a private jet to bugger off on holiday should be challenged before me and my (0kg per mile) motorcycle get inconvenience by people sitting in the road?

Not got a problem if they want to wave banners and shout there support from the pavements or get themselves on tv, but lets keep thing moving please!

Climate emergency

03 Sep 2019, 09:17

countryboy wrote:Hi everyone, I don't know and maybe don't care if this is the correct forum/place to raise the issue of climate emergency but it's getting too
late to worry about it frankly. Basically, I joined Extinction Rebellion a few months ago and was in London taking some action with others at that time.
I'm now preparing for the protesting to start in earnest again, for a minimum of two weeks, from October 7th. I know this sounds a bit sad but I'm looking
for someone to go with/join me. I felt that the odd one out when I was lined up across the road stopping traffic on the previous occasion. There were lots of
younger people, students, hippies, whatever you want to call them but there were also plenty of likeminded older and perhaps not so obvious 'protester' types.
I made a point of going in uniform as I think there must be thousands of 'workers' like me who feel similarly but don't take any action. The wearing of uniform, I hope, identified me to others and could, as I saw it, promote the idea in them that this was about everybody not just students and the retired.
The uniform was certainly a talking point if nothing more but suggested to me that if we were there in numbers that it would send a powerful message
particularly if it were picked up by the media. I stress that this is me just trying to do my bit and I do not have a long history of protesting. But if there's one
thing we can't do without it's the planet so if this stirs anything in you please contact me. Mark

I just wanted to wish you well Mark. This is an issue which needs to be kept in the public eye. I admire your determination in doing this.
I'm retired so I don't have RM uniform now. But you should be aware that if you are arrested in uniform, RM may take disciplinary action against you.

Climate emergency

03 Sep 2019, 09:50

26l34 wrote:Pretty much every right and privilege we enjoy were fought for and won, often by folk interrupting the routines of people too privileged and/or ignorant to care about life outside their bubble. All power to them.
Have only seen these protesters stopping city centre traffic and closing a few ring roads, unless it’s absolutely necessary anyone driving a car through the streets of central London or Birmingham or Manchester is a moron who’ll be spending most of their time stuck in traffic anyway, a few more minutes won’t hurt.

Admirable sentiments no doubt, but no-one's yet explained how some people with pink and yellow hair sitting on straw bales in a busy London street, or another bunch of society's losers glueing themselves to a Barclays Bank doorhandle affects the mindless slaughter of elephants and whales, the intentional destruction of the Amazon rainforests or the rapid expansion of Chinese and Indian coal-fired power stations.
Still, in peeing off their fellow citizens it gives those virtue-signallers their two minutes of fame, and forces their particular views on the rest of us whether we want it or not.
At least the Greenpeace activists actually got out there and did something worthwhile.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 10   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10