ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Holiday Pay

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
GiGiRose

Holiday Pay

Post by GiGiRose »

What is the protocol is for holidays with Angard AWR employees? Do you loose it, if not booked? There’s a lot of ifs and buts within our centre but it’s be good to get a proper answer! One colleague was advised “to take holiday because it’s not a certainty they will pay out holiday money this year. If Royal Mail don’t agree you’ll lose it. She also said Royal Mail usually agree but she’s not sure for this year. BUT the word is they’re not paying out this year”

Also with giving Angard 7 days notice, there’s not much time left in March!! :neutral:

Warbo

Re: Holiday Pay

Post by Warbo »

GiGiRose wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 09:14
What is the protocol is for holidays with Angard AWR employees? Do you loose it, if not booked? There’s a lot of ifs and buts within our centre but it’s be good to get a proper answer! One colleague was advised “to take holiday because it’s not a certainty they will pay out holiday money this year. If Royal Mail don’t agree you’ll lose it. She also said Royal Mail usually agree but she’s not sure for this year. BUT the word is they’re not paying out this year”

Also with giving Angard 7 days notice, there’s not much time left in March!! :neutral:
Holidays owed are usually paid out mid April. I have heard what your colleague said but was a couple of years ago and hols owed have been paid since. So not a lot of help I know. My thoughts if they where to go" use them or loose them" it would be put out at they beginning of the year and would possibly cause staffing cover problems.
Rvlvr

Post by Rvlvr »

Yeah, this rumour has done the rounds every year I’ve worked at my MC (3 years), and looking through this forum I found a post from 2016 along the same lines. But they’ve always paid out. I don’t see why this year would be any different. There are people at my MC with hundreds of hours built up - I think they’d riot if they didn’t receive their pay! As the above poster says, if Angard implemented a use it or lose it system there’d be a huge staffing issue. And I think it suits them to just pay out in one go in April rather than having to process so many holiday requests all the time.
shugster63

Post by shugster63 »

Regarding the holiday pay issue.

I have been trying to book holidays for the last few weeks through the Angard Pay Request page.
Seems like there are miraculously problems with the system. Strange at the time of year that there is a holiday payment becoming due.
These are unprecedented times. There are people in our centre who have built up 200-250 hours holidays. I myself have 80 hours that I have been unable to use recently.
Angard have around 50,000 workers on their books. Even taking the lowly total of each worker having 30 hours holiday allowance left, that would make an approximate one off payment of around £16-17 million.

Feel fairly sure Angard will change the rules later this year.

Have emailed payroll etc to try and get holidays.
NW11851

Post by NW11851 »

I don’t think it matters to Angard.

Either they pay Holiday Pay as it is used throughout the year or they save the money, reduce their (potential) overdraft charges and pay it out in a lump sum in April of the following Tax Year.
Warbo

Post by Warbo »

NW11851 wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 11:35
I don’t think it matters to Angard.

Either they pay Holiday Pay as it is used throughout the year or they save the money, reduce their (potential) overdraft charges and pay it out in a lump sum in April of the following Tax Year.
Cue earplugs for moaning about tax paid. Its a hard life. Not.
bill6842

Post by bill6842 »

Spoke to them a few days ago on the phone. They said no holiday hours should be carried over from one year to the next and the holiday year ends on March 26th. They told me that it is a bigger problem if you have a large number of hours left over.
NW11851

Post by NW11851 »

Angard know there has been a pandemic and people have helped them out by working throughout.

Angard have been desperate to get staff in to meet the RM requirements.

If they decline to pay out there will be yet another case at an Employment Tribunal.
tabact

Post by tabact »

Just received an email about updated holiday arrangements effective 05/04/21. From now on we will be able to book holiday via JoinedUp and I'm guessing that this is the last year they will pay out untaken holiday as the holiday pdf attachment talks about using up your holiday.

"As part of these changes, you will no longer receive payment in lieu of untaken holiday at the end of the holiday year."

There is also an updated contract but I haven't seen it as they forgot to attach it to the email.
Rvlvr

Post by Rvlvr »

I emailed them days ago to ask for written clarification that holiday hours would be paid out in April, as I would’ve booked some in for this week if not, but had no reply.
sameer1haq

Post by sameer1haq »

“Following our communication earlier today on changes to holiday pay, we would like to take this opportunity to confirm that any outstanding holiday for the year 1st April 2020 – 31st March 2021, will be paid to you in full on Friday 9th April.”

Least that has been confirmed for this year
Warbo

Post by Warbo »

tabact wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 11:04
Just received an email about updated holiday arrangements effective 05/04/21. From now on we will be able to book holiday via JoinedUp and I'm guessing that this is the last year they will pay out untaken holiday as the holiday pdf attachment talks about using up your holiday.

"As part of these changes, you will no longer receive payment in lieu of untaken holiday at the end of the holiday year."

There is also an updated contract but I haven't seen it as they forgot to attach it to the email.
No email here!
Lockardian
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by Lockardian »

sameer1haq wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 16:29
“Following our communication earlier today on changes to holiday pay, we would like to take this opportunity to confirm that any outstanding holiday for the year 1st April 2020 – 31st March 2021, will be paid to you in full on Friday 9th April.”

I received that email but not the earlier one they refer to. I’ve asked them to resend but so far they haven’t.

So - in short - it was about booking holidays on Joined Up and losing them if you don’t take them?

I tend not to take any holidays and receive the lump sum, so that will have to change. It was convenient when you could book last minute holidays so if you had a week with no shifts you could submit a holiday request and get some pay that week. Now that you have to give notice, it’s impossible to do that.
Warbo

Post by Warbo »

Lockardian wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 14:42
sameer1haq wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 16:29

I received that email but not the earlier one they refer to. I’ve asked them to resend but so far they haven’t.

So - in short - it was about booking holidays on Joined Up and losing them if you don’t take them?

I tend not to take any holidays and receive the lump sum, so that will have to change. It was convenient when you could book last minute holidays so if you had a week with no shifts you could submit a holiday request and get some pay that week. Now that you have to give notice, it’s impossible to do that.
You beat me to it on the holiday bookings from way back!! Any more long timers remember when you could book holidays retrospectively. No shifts by Wed/Thurs book previous Monday and Tuesday etc. I remember the email saying this would no longer be allowed. It also said that hours should only be booked if you were actually on holiday and not used to boost weekly earnings! Yer right! I wondered at the time if this was aimed at me.
toonlad2

Post by toonlad2 »

yes lockardian it was better in old days when you went all week without a shift you could put few hours holiday in to make sure you had some wages for the week ,, new method stops you coz you have to book week in advance n poss lose out on a shift thats available that day , prob another reason why ppl have so many saved up now much prefer the older ways esp now on joined up we seem to get emails n texts extremely late in the day to do nightshifts sometimes less than 2 hours notice