ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Holiday hours - end of year.

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
Sheffield Stuart

Holiday hours - end of year.

Post by Sheffield Stuart »

Afternoon.

I've accrued approx. 40hrs holiday pay. Tried to do some digging but I'm either asking the wrong question or looking in the wrong place.

Presumably hours aggregate April to March, and if so do they roll over? Or do Angard just pay out, or do I have to book them as off?

Thanks

Stuart

tabact

Re: Holiday hours - end of year.

Post by tabact »

They pay them out in April.
bill6842

Post by bill6842 »

Is there a maximum number of hours they will pay out as holiday in April?

I have around 140/150 hours built up.
sameer1haq

Post by sameer1haq »

They pay out at the end the of the tax year

But note for anyone who are building them up, take them. You’ll get paid out of the end of the tax year but you’ll get taxed a lot, whereas you can just take them now and you’ll be taxed less. No point building them up.
NW11851

Post by NW11851 »

True. But working through snd taking the Holiday Pay money, at whatever tax rate still results in more money than taking the time off.

It depends whether you need the time off fir other things.

In the present lockdown, there’s not many places to visit so a lot of staff will just take the money.
Sheffield Stuart

Post by Sheffield Stuart »

tabact wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 17:57
They pay them out in April.
Thanks.
tabact

Post by tabact »

bill6842 wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 23:00
Is there a maximum number of hours they will pay out as holiday in April?

I have around 140/150 hours built up.
Not aware of any limit. They do occasionally send out an email saying use it or lose it but they have always paid out in full anyway.

If everybody suddenly started taking holiday they would be screwed supplying enough staff to the mail centres until April.
Rvlvr

Post by Rvlvr »

Has anyone claimed holiday pay recently and been paid at a lower rate than normal? I earn around £13.50 an hour working nights and usually get roughly the same amount when I claim holiday, but over Christmas when I claimed some holiday I was paid an hourly rate of around £10. I’ve emailed Angard a few times in the past 5 weeks but haven’t had a reply. I thought it was just me but I spoke to another guy at my MC and it happened to him too, and his emails have gone unanswered too.
Warbo

Post by Warbo »

Rvlvr wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 18:42
Has anyone claimed holiday pay recently and been paid at a lower rate than normal? I earn around £13.50 an hour working nights and usually get roughly the same amount when I claim holiday, but over Christmas when I claimed some holiday I was paid an hourly rate of around £10. I’ve emailed Angard a few times in the past 5 weeks but haven’t had a reply. I thought it was just me but I spoke to another guy at my MC and it happened to him too, and his emails have gone unanswered too.
I am told that holiday pay is "calculated by your last 52 working weeks gross pay and dividing it by your average worked hours in the current holiday year"
That says to me some hours will be paid higher than others. So the plan is to book hours on days not worked in periods of shifts worked. The problem if holiday hours a accrued and it goes quiet at the holiday year end the pay out will be less.
If you look on this site there is a whole lot of comments on this subject.
Rvlvr

Post by Rvlvr »

Thanks for the reply, but I’m not sure your theory’s quite right - I’d been working 4-5 nights a week for around 8 weeks prior to claiming some holiday hours, so I would’ve thought there’d be no issues regarding my average pay? In fact, looking through my history of receiving holiday pay from Angard I’ve always been paid basically the same per hour as what I earn per hour on nights, give or take a few pence here and there, but the discrepancy this time is around 4 pounds per hour. It’s very strange.
Warbo

Post by Warbo »

Rvlvr wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 20:31
Thanks for the reply, but I’m not sure your theory’s quite right - I’d been working 4-5 nights a week for around 8 weeks prior to claiming some holiday hours, so I would’ve thought there’d be no issues regarding my average pay? In fact, looking through my history of receiving holiday pay from Angard I’ve always been paid basically the same per hour as what I earn per hour on nights, give or take a few pence here and there, but the discrepancy this time is around 4 pounds per hour. It’s very strange.
Not my theory. Much the same experience as yourself and your colleagues. Questioned it and got the explanation I wrote.
If you go on the Board Index under Angard Staffing section is Average Pay While On Annual Leave.
I have only skimmed through it. Relates mainly to RM but looks to be and have the relevant info.