not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

"Joined Up" & Cancelling Shifts Every Day

17 Apr 2019, 12:27

What the hell is this 'Joined Up' company I am being told to sign into? I can find no information about this anywhere on the internet, but apparently have to give them all my details including banking, as well as scanned personal documents - Why am I having to resend all this stuff, Angard already have my details. I currently have no trust in this new website, could be a scam for all I know. And apparently all my shifts can only be arranged through it from now on. Please is anybody using "Joined Up" already and can explain if it's legit and how it works.
Last edited by qazxsw on 14 May 2019, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

17 Apr 2019, 14:01

What's the URL for the 'Joined Up' site that wants your details and how did you get it? Simplest solution is to ring Angard 0333 240 8502 option 2 option 2 (ignore the message about cancelling shifts) to ask about the link you have. You can ask about the cancelled shifts at the same time, ringing them up sometimes helps get a shift although they will tell you not to ring them for shifts.

The cancelling of shifts is bloody annoying. RM ask Angard to book x number of people then just cancel when it it turns out to be quieter than expected. Angard can't be blamed for the cancellations, they just do what they are told, but which people get cancelled is down to them.

17 Apr 2019, 16:07

I was booked in Mon-Thu this week and Tue-Thu next (not in Leeds), had my Monday shift cancelled but worked last night and just had a text confirming tonight’s. Had read on here how block booked shifts are often cancelled last minute so didn’t bank on actually getting too many of them, if I get 4 out the 7 I’ll be happy.

17 Apr 2019, 16:54

A week ago Angard Staffing / Reed Global sent me an email: "IMPORTANT NEWS PLEASE READ -- We are pleased to tell you that over the coming days we will be launching a trial of a new way to manage your shifts at Leeds Mail Centre, called JoinedUp. JoinedUp will allow you to advise when you are and are not available for shifts in advance, removing the need to join a phone queue to try to book into a shift." etc.

The actual website (https://app.driverexchange.co.uk) says I need to complete my profile 100% to be verified for accepting shifts. It says the profile is already at 100%, but a different page is asking for my details. I'm in no rush to hand these over, considering Angard should already know all this stuff and any shifts I eventually get will only be cancelled anyway.

I tried ringing Angard the past two days. The phone is either never answered (annoying), or immediately hung-up (incredibly disrespectful, like a slap in the face.) Oh btw - just got another text. Tomorrow shift cancelled as well. Beyond a joke. They treat us like dirt - is this s**t even legal?

17 Apr 2019, 18:07

qazxsw wrote:I tried ringing Angard the past two days. The phone is either never answered (annoying), or immediately hung-up (incredibly disrespectful, like a slap in the face.) Oh btw - just got another text. Tomorrow shift cancelled as well. Beyond a joke. They treat us like dirt - is this s**t even legal?

I must have been lucky lately. i've got straight through and managed to talk to the person responsible for my MC. i've rung about 11.00 on a Thursday if you want to try tomorrow.

Had a look at https://www.driverexchange.co.uk/ and that looks like a legit site and there is a bit about Joined Up at the bottom that takes you to https://www.joinedup.com/.
It look's OK and probably just branching out from driving into other areas. They do say they are a technology company and not an agency on the site. If the email address you got the message from is reedglobal it should be OK but send a query to payroll from the Angard website and ask them why you need to enter all your details on a third party site. It sounds like it's asking for your details, documents as though you were signing up to driver exchange/joined up looking for work, none of their business if they are acting for Angard.

Anyone else reading this had the same email?

17 Apr 2019, 21:38

tabact wrote:Anyone else reading this had the same email?

exactly - that's how I ended up posting here.
i've asked everyone I speak to outside the mail centre - none of them have received this email.
if i went into the centre i could ask everyone in there - but keep cancelling every shift so i can't get in there :crazy: wit's end

18 Apr 2019, 20:42

I love this idea for a new booking system and I hope it is indeed used fairly to distribute shifts among the Agents who are available. For example, one agency worker getting 0 shifts in a week whilst another gets 5 shifts when both have been available for all the shift times given.

I also booked a bunch of shifts across all of April (I wonder why Angard did that for April in what seems to be every Royal Mail Location?) but I've had half the shifts cancelled so far. Two shifts booked for next week but who knows if I can get to keep them? :hmmmm

19 Apr 2019, 12:30

Xeonus wrote:I love this idea for a new booking system and I hope it is indeed used fairly to distribute shifts among the Agents who are available. For example, one agency worker getting 0 shifts in a week whilst another gets 5 shifts when both have been available for all the shift times given.

I also booked a bunch of shifts across all of April (I wonder why Angard did that for April in what seems to be every Royal Mail Location?) but I've had half the shifts cancelled so far. Two shifts booked for next week but who knows if I can get to keep them? :hmmmm

I've had all my shifts initially cancelled so far this week - all 4
3 have been subsequently rebooked shortly after but lots of people won't have been

The problem with Angard and Royal Mail at my mail center is Angard doesn't meet the staffing needs
e.g. Royal Mail want experienced sorters / staff and Angard send them largely the newest signups which isn't what RM need (and too many staff booked generally ).
This also leads to experienced sorters getting jobs elsewhere.

Angard are still recruiting new workers while available shifts have drastically reduced due to new RM staff being employed.
This just compounds the problem - I can't see the system above meeting the needs of the mail centre I'm at unless Angard change how they operate.
I can only imagine that the managers would be even more fed up with Angard.

That said I think Angard is on its way out at my mailcentre anyway

19 Apr 2019, 17:47

paulus103 wrote:
Xeonus wrote:I love this idea for a new booking system and I hope it is indeed used fairly to distribute shifts among the Agents who are available. For example, one agency worker getting 0 shifts in a week whilst another gets 5 shifts when both have been available for all the shift times given.

I've had all my shifts initially cancelled so far this week - all 4
3 have been subsequently rebooked shortly after but lots of people won't have been

The problem with Angard and Royal Mail at my mail center is Angard doesn't meet the staffing needs
e.g. Royal Mail want experienced sorters / staff and Angard send them largely the newest signups which isn't what RM need (and too many staff booked generally ).
This also leads to experienced sorters getting jobs elsewhere.

Angard are still recruiting new workers while available shifts have drastically reduced due to new RM staff being employed.
This just compounds the problem - I can't see the system above meeting the needs of the mail centre I'm at unless Angard change how they operate.
I can only imagine that the managers would be even more fed up with Angard.

That said I think Angard is on its way out at my mailcentre anyway

I know the numbers of how many Angard staff are at my mail centre across all shifts. Mostly because my previous consultant let it slip before they left the post/was reassigned elsewhere. It is certainly a problem as I notice during my shifts that there are nowhere near the numbers needed to keep all of the revealed Angard agent numbers in work more than once or twice a week. I imagine a lot of them dont respond to shift opportunities though?
I've been told multiple times over the time I've been with Angard that they provide booking opportunities on a fair basis that spreads out shifts among all the agents fairly. Which wont be easy as each agent has shift preferences, days they cannot/will not work etc. This could be part of the reason why JoinedUp is being approached to allow agents to put in their availability each week for Angard to pick and choose. Also because I know a lot of us hate the current phone booking system for multiple reasons.

I also think Angard is on the way out Paulus103. Too many complaints, employment tribunals, angard agents joining CWU attempting to get equal treatment across ALL matters to fulltime Royal Mail staff (CWU benefit from this with more membership numbers in each Royal Mail location as well as the membership fees) and as you said, the constant stream of new agents who need time to learn the job (What training? I was never trained formally) which slows down manager's chances of gaining bonuses for clearing their shift's workload successfully.
As for how long Angard has? I do not know. Will Royal Mail go back to permanent contract hiring for part-time and full-time staff rather than agents? I hope so but then I also hope that the experienced and trustworthy Angard agents get an opportunity to be hired directly.

Good luck everyone! (getting both shifts as Agents or getting hired if you feel you legitimately deserve the opportunity) :thumbup

19 Apr 2019, 20:54

Think the big problem's no one really knows how shifts are allocated? I mean, I was down to work Monday, but my shift was cancelled. On Tuesday I worked with a guy who did work the Monday, but when I worked Wednesday he wasn't in. One guy I worked with Wednesday had started as a Christmas casual but had hardly any shifts since Xmas (it was the first time I'd seen him - I started in January), whereas some of his mates are getting a shift a week on average. I'd been getting shifts quite steadily, up till about a month ago when I had to ignore 2 or 3 texts on the spin due to other commitments... might've been purely coincidental but I didn't get offered any work for a few weeks after.

So yeah I think some sort of system where you put in your availability sounds interesting.

20 Apr 2019, 15:22

I don't think there is any positive assumption to be made about a new system. Every time Angard changes things up it usually get's worse tbh. To me it sounds like they are distancing themselves from the actual workers even more. No waiting on the phone is good - but that means literally zero contact with them. They can still give shifts to whomever they please and ignore others at will.

Can be you specific about which centre you work at and what days / time you've had shifts this week. For anyone interested it's now 5 consecutive shifts they have cancelled for me. Wonder what would happen if I last-minute cancelled 5 shifts they had given me... :roll:

20 Apr 2019, 15:41

qazxsw wrote:

I don't think there is any positive assumption to be made about a new system. Every time Angard changes things up it usually get's worse tbh. To me it sounds like they are distancing themselves from the actual workers even more. No waiting on the phone is good - but that means literally zero contact with them. They can still give shifts to whomever they please and ignore others at will.

Can be you specific about which centre you work at and what days / time you've had shifts this week. For anyone interested it's now 5 consecutive shifts they have cancelled for me. Wonder what would happen if I last-minute cancelled 5 shifts they had given me... :roll:

I would prefer to maintain my anonymity on these forums. I try to keep clues to who I am to a minimum in my posts and profile information. Sorry!

As for having zero contact with Angard and Angard being able to ignore email contact, that may end up be true. At the moment, people can use the phones for shift bookings but instead complain or ask about other issues. I do not see that happening once phone call shift bookings are gone.
I will have to use my CWU union membership privileges to get answers ASAP to any concerns in the future which is not ideal. What kind of Agency refuses to respond to its employees and forces the employees to join a union in the first place?

16 May 2019, 20:29

Any updates on this?

Have heard they've been emailing employees at some mail centres asking for their availability the week after bank holiday - guessing they're going to divvy up shifts based on the info they get. Wonder if this'll be the way forward? In theory seems fairer than playing faster finger first when you get a text but there's no telling how fairly Angard'll be dishing out shifts is there.

16 May 2019, 23:39

26l34 wrote:Any updates on this?

Have heard they've been emailing employees at some mail centres asking for their availability the week after bank holiday - guessing they're going to divvy up shifts based on the info they get. Wonder if this'll be the way forward? In theory seems fairer than playing faster finger first when you get a text but there's no telling how fairly Angard'll be dishing out shifts is there.

In my experience this is due to Angard trying to anticipate workload - they try to make their own lives easier by booking in advance despite RM only ordering staffing day before or the same day as needed.
They are not supposed to do this but do anyway - it can lead to mass cancellations of Angard staff and really isn't on. Royal Mail managers themselves have complained directly to Angard about this practice.
It doesn't affect me as much I work as a self-employed web developer but people with childcare or travelling to arrange it is really an abuse of zero hour contracts

18 May 2019, 16:20

Yeah, they booked me in for 7 shifts the two weeks either side of Easter - luckily only two were cancelled. Was booked in for 3 either side the last bank holiday too, none of those were cancelled (fortunately, as I'd gambled on getting them all and bought a bus pass to save a few quid). At our place things seem to work pretty well on the whole, the only real complaint you hear's that there aren't enough shifts to go round but now I'm AWR qualified a few nights here and there really add up, just hoping I get enough work over the summer to keep the rate up.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1