not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE




Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

03 May 2019, 06:25

The last response I got was Angard were waiting on RM legal department and their understanding was they intended to bring us completely in line with RM staff. If they don't it obviously breaches AWR so they leave themselves wide open for any claims. All the shifts I work on we are now getting equal breaks so I didn't need to escalate it further and all the managers I've spoken to have been told to give us the same breaks. I know some people will be doing a 22.00-06.00 shift next week so it will be interesting to see if they get identical breaks on a full length shift, normally they start at midnight so have different breaks. It will be all irrelevant to me anyway if the amount of shifts I'm getting continues.

It's already been confirmed in one of the Kocur tribunals that RM set all the contract conditions so talk of meetings between senior managers sounds like a load of rubbish. Angard/Reed just do what they are told to by RM.

Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

02 Aug 2019, 17:48

Staff at our mail centre may finally be getting somewhere regarding paid breaks. I persevered with emails to Angard, copying in any managers I was aware of, and this week received a reply from a senior manager. She advised she is liaising with the site and will respond in due course.

Yesterday, staff on a late shift were briefed and told they should have been getting the same breaks as Royal Mail and from now on this would happen. The break allowance is 20 mins for a 3hr shift and 30 mins for a 4hr shift. However, the manager who was allocating breaks did not approach us and when I asked, I was told to leave early rather than take the break. Not a big deal on a short shift but it caused confusion as the staff on duty were doing different length shifts. When it came to 30 minutes before the end of the shift it was my time to leave (having not had a 30 minute break) but others who were due to leave stayed behind, worried it would look bad if they left while there was work outstanding. This left me feeling uncomfortable leaving the floor, but I felt that staying behind (unpaid) defeated the whole point after having worked so hard to get the break entitlement we were due. I’m concerned that having to take the break at the end of the shift will lead to staff feeling obliged to stay behind.

I’ve yet to work a longer shift or nightshift so I don’t know what will happen there regarding breaks or early finishes in lieu of breaks.
Last edited by Lockardian on 02 Aug 2019, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

02 Aug 2019, 18:34

Lockardian wrote:Yesterday, staff on a late shift were briefed and told they should have been getting the same breaks as Royal Mail and from now on this would happen. The break allowance is 20 mins for a 3hr shift and 30 mins for a 4hr shift.

For a 3hr shift it's a 10min break and a 4hr shift it's 20mins

Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

02 Aug 2019, 18:45

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Lockardian wrote:Yesterday, staff on a late shift were briefed and told they should have been getting the same breaks as Royal Mail and from now on this would happen. The break allowance is 20 mins for a 3hr shift and 30 mins for a 4hr shift.

For a 3hr shift it's a 10min break and a 4hr shift it's 20mins


I’m only quoting my RM manager. I think that local arrangements are in place, possibly agreed with the CWU. The exact wording was “10 plus 10” on a 3hr and “20 plus 10” on a 4hr.

Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

02 Aug 2019, 18:48

Lockardian wrote:However, the manager who was allocating breaks did not approach us and when I asked, I was told to leave early rather than take the break. Not a big deal on a short shift but it caused confusion as the staff on duty were doing different length shifts. When it came to 30 minutes before the end of the shift it was my time to leave (having not had a 30 minute break) but others who were due to leave stayed behind, worried it would look bad if they left while there was work outstanding. This left me feeling uncomfortable leaving the floor, but I felt that staying behind (unpaid) defeated the whole point after having worked so hard to get the break entitlement we were due. I’m concerned that having to take the break at the end of the shift will lead to managers saying “just do this before you go” or staff feeling obliged to stay behind anyway.

I’ve yet to work a longer shift or nightshift so I don’t know what will happen there regarding breaks or early finishes in lieu of breaks.

To be honest I found it so frustrating that many Angard staff seemed to have no idea what their break entitlement was (even after the briefing) and didn’t seem bothered that they hadn’t been given one. Only those who asked are told they could leave early which made it look like the ones who left early (ie. took their break) were “skiving” or similar!


Royal Mail staff are not able to take breaks at the start or end of their shift and it has been agreed to be during the middle with help from the Union in the past. Angard under AWR entitlement after 12 weeks continuous work to trigger AWR, should be under the same rules but it is not. I've even been asked to accept additional paid time in order to NOT take a meal relief during a shift and it just shows that Royal Mail needs to bring more Angard in or to extend the shifts Angard usually get in order to receive a meal relief to get a chance to sit down for a few minutes!

Better yet, offer Angard casuals a chance for Royal Mail part-time/full-time permanent contracts if the duties being done are proven to need more people working on it. :thumbup

Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

12 Aug 2019, 08:38

At Gatwick we receive a paid break BUT they’ve shortened the shifts by 30 minutes.

That way it costs them the same as a 4-hour shift with an unpaid break.

Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

12 Aug 2019, 09:02

We now appear to be getting (at the discretion of the manager on duty):

3hr shift - 20 mins break
4hr- 5hr59m shift - 30 mins break
6hr-7hr59m shift - 40 mins break or 60 mins break

There seems to be a local agreement where RM staff get an extra 10 minutes, so depending on the manager on duty we get this too. For the shorter shifts, part or all the break tends to be given at the end of the shift, ie. we go early.

Things are certainly better than they were.

Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

17 Nov 2019, 12:31

Once again, our breaks are being allocated differently to Royal Mail staff. On a 7.5 and 8hr shifts, the RM guys get a full hour but Angard are only allowed 40 minutes. The reason given is that the RM staff receive an additional
“grace break”. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is this “legal” and the correct interpretation of the policy?

Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

17 Nov 2019, 14:58

Lockardian wrote:Once again, our breaks are being allocated differently to Royal Mail staff. On a 7.5 and 8hr shifts, the RM guys get a full hour but Angard are only allowed 40 minutes. The reason given is that the RM staff receive an additional
“grace break”. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is this “legal” and the correct interpretation of the policy?


On 7th May 2018 Simon Barker, UK process operations Director, gave the following response to a question relating to meal relief and the SWW.
“In the way forward agreement, we have commitments of between five and seven hours, people get 30 minutes. Then between seven and eight hours 59 minutes they get 40 minute breaks and that will continue to be honoured.
Within the mail centres and RDCs we’ve Built in a relaxation allowance – its roughly 13 per cent but does change depending on the nature of the job…...”

I sought confirmation to this & received this response;

HR/People Team have advised that the relaxation allowance has always been built into the standard times measured to carry out indoor activity, generally at a level of around 11 – 13% depending on the activity being carried out i.e. lifting weight / standing etc .....”
hold
Edit; Realised I have posted this information before but Simon Barker, who is now the National operations Director, should hold sway on the information he has provided & HR confirmed.

Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

18 Nov 2019, 09:22

You should get the same according to ACAS.
https://www.acas.org.uk/article/6493/Rights-while-working-as-an-agency-worker
After passing the 12-week qualifying period, they have a right to start getting the same working patterns and rest periods as staff directly employed by the hiring organisation, including any entitlement to longer lunch breaks or extra breaks.

The 'any entitlement' section is the one I'd have thought counted. Nothing about grace breaks not counting.

Your breaks could be affected by how RM at your MC interpret your status on a shift e.g. regular staff or overtime staff. At my MC RM staff doing overtime only get 40 mins while regular RM staff get 60 mins including a grace break. Angard normally do shorter shifts so there isn't a like for like equivalent. If the same rules regarding breaks apply at your MC their argument could be you are treated the same as overtime staff because you are agency covering work that would normally be done as overtime by RM staff. I'd disagree with that but you'll have to get Angard to back you.

Paid breaks from 1/4/2019

18 Nov 2019, 11:41

Tabact - I believe the argument for treating all the shift as overtime would not be valid & as my post indicates it would not alter the break entitlement.

Edited from the way forward agreement;

“Attendances consisting wholly of overtime should attract paid breaks based on the length of attendance as in the table above” (e.g. between five and seven hours, people get 30 minutes. Then between seven and eight hours 59 minutes they get 40 minute breaks).

Relaxation Allowance
“In the parts of the mail centres covered by workload measurement and planning values the additional grace break (10 minutes) may be extended to 20 minutes for full-time indoor jobs and scheduled as “relaxation allowance”, as originally agreed in connection with RRP (10 minutes may be scheduled within indoor part-time jobs)………..”



I assume therefore the hour paid break for indoor full-timers incorporates the relaxation allowance.
13% of 38 hours = 5 hours. (1 hour per day on a 5 day week)
Pro-rata a part-timer on a 20 hour week indoor 13% of 20 = 2.6 hours (divided by 5 day week = 31 minutes per day)


Part-timers cannot be treated less favourably than full-time employees.

It is clear from the legislation AWR qualified workers would have the same rights as employees in respect to breaks.

Previous page Next page


Page 4 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4