ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

LTB 107/17 - Treatment of Casual and Angard Workers

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Dear Colleague,

Treatment of Casual and Angard Workers

Over recent months the DGS(P) Department has received a number of enquiries from the field relating to the unfair treatment of casual and Angard staff. Branches will be aware that this has been a long-standing issue for the union and in response to ongoing concerns, Motion 103 was carried at Postal Conference 2014.

The Postal Executive is instructed to negotiate an agreement which sees the Royal Mail owned Angard casual workforce treated with clarity and fairness with regards to their terms and conditions within the workplace.

This group of workers has for far too long been unfairly treated with regards to their hourly rate which is much lower than the rate of an OPG working directly alongside them. They have no entitlement to paid meal breaks and have to work unsociable nightshift hours without their parity of pay for shift work with other Royal Mail employees. These workers actively support and join the CWU and it’s about time we actively supported them in their struggle for parity and fairness within the workplace.
Merseyside Amal

In light of Motion 103 and following a number of enquiries from Representatives expressing concerns about the way casual and Angard staff are being treated (when carrying out duties in Royal Mail workplaces) the CWU has written to Jon Millidge, Royal Mail’s HR Director, highlighting a range of problems with the request that the business investigate and resolve matters. The problems reported include: individuals not being properly compensated for meal relief time they have not taken, breaks not being paid, unfair deduction of wages, unclear and confusing pay slips, concerns around the advice and responses received from the payroll section, cancellation of shifts at short notice and problems with the system for booking future shifts.

Overall, the concerns raised reflect a broader problem, namely that there are clear differences in the treatment of Angard staff compared to Royal Mail employees. In view of the range of concerns, we have asked the employer to clarify what processes they have in place to ensure unfair treatment of individuals will no longer happen on Royal Mail premises and to work with the CWU to implement proper safeguards.

Clearly the current situation is not acceptable and we will continue to pursue the employer to ensure Angard workers are treated with dignity and respect in Royal Mail workplaces and demonstrate that the union is serious about representing and promoting their interests and supporting their ongoing struggle for parity and fairness.

Further updates will be provided to Branches in due course.

Any enquiries in relation to this LTB should be addressed to the DGS(P) Department quoting reference 42100.

Yours sincerely

Terry Pullinger
Deputy General Secretary (Postal)
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

Bazza01

Post by Bazza01 »

Its about time something was done all of the above statement is correct its about time something was done Angard are simply shocking. As a union member I would urge the union to talk to the Angard staff and keep pushing this is not a new problem but has gone on from day one of Angard. I recently received a call at 9.34pm for a 10.00pm start that is simply disgraceful but not uncommon.
nothingatthemoment

Post by nothingatthemoment »

:thumbup
Last edited by nothingatthemoment on 26 May 2017, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
paddyd

Post by paddyd »

been with angard almost 3 years, struggling to get shifts.
surely i have earned the right to more shifts after this long.
no loyalty from RM or angard, something definetely needs to be done
paddyd

Post by paddyd »

i take it this has been brushed under the carpet.
Jizzmeister

Post by Jizzmeister »

ive heard nothing else about this, asked a manager and union rep at work about it and was told its all just BS and was originally brought up 5 years ago
nothingatthemoment

Jizzmeister wrote:ive heard nothing else about this, asked a manager and union rep at work about it and was told its all just BS and was originally brought up 5 years ago
Nice one , Homes
Bingsmith

Post by Bingsmith »

Think pressure needs to be applied to angard. Maybe if as many people as possible, & of course encourage your colleagues to write or email angard it may have an effect.

Lots of stuff about it here; http://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I think they will have to refund us money deducted for breaks as it is probaly illegal to do what they have done. The union at my branch has no interest in becoming involved & angard said in October they would look in to it, but to no avail.

Sending something similar to this in mass might help, obviously changing it about a bit would be best.

Subject: Workers regulations

We believe that agency workers employed by Angard staffing, are being treated unfairly and discriminated against by Royal Mail in particular XXXXXX branch, when compared to permanent Royal Mail staff and have been for a long time. Here are a few examples:

We are forbidden from using the car park, gym (where applicable), also communal computers. We are not supplied with appropriate and safe footwear/uniform, for example steel toe cap boots & hi vis jackets when working in DSA areas.
Royal Mail staff receive PAID breaks and PAID lunch breaks (as do agency workers at other RM branches and which use a different agencies). Particular, less desirable jobs are delegated to the 'casuals' (cut and tip, making sleeves up, pushing out) because Royal Mail staff believe these are menial jobs. Discounts to various outlets. Free stamps at Christmas (we previously got these)

I believe this is in violation of The Agency Workers Regulations 2010 ("Subject to regulation 7, an agency worker (A) shall be entitled to the same basic working and employment conditions as A would be entitled to for doing the same job"), although I understand that Angard is not necessarily responsible for this we would appreciate any feedback.

A number of us have contacted Angard staff and tried to discuss this with Royal Mail managers but neither of you will enter into a conversation with us. Are these queries we should now take up with a government body?

Your comments please,

Regards
nothingatthemoment

Last edited by nothingatthemoment on 26 May 2017, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Jizzmeister

Post by Jizzmeister »

Well done bing smith for posting this, I have been spreading word to my co workers about this over the last few days but everyone seems very scared to raise it with angard or anyone else incase they lose out on shifts or have their contract terminated by angard, I called ACAS aboit and they said it's an open and shut case, and left me with this, are ppl willing to accept this treatment or are they wanting to do something about it
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

As many of you as possible need to contact the cwu about your problems.

tpullinger@cwu.org
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Jizzmeister

Post by Jizzmeister »

thanks postman for that post, whats happenin ppl? we gonna try do somethin about this or what? :crazy:
Bingsmith

Post by Bingsmith »

Jizzmeister wrote:thanks postman for that post, whats happenin ppl? we gonna try do somethin about this or what? :crazy:
Yes, to start with it would be really helpful if as many people as possible contacted angard. New breaks are now being introduced so there will be even more deductions and changes :cry :cry
Bingsmith

Post by Bingsmith »

Jizzmeister wrote:Well done bing smith for posting this, I have been spreading word to my co workers about this over the last few days but everyone seems very scared to raise it with angard or anyone else incase they lose out on shifts or have their contract terminated by angard, I called ACAS aboit and they said it's an open and shut case, and left me with this, are ppl willing to accept this treatment or are they wanting to do something about it
Kkmjjnn
New breaks & deductions introduced this week;
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nothingatthemoment

Last edited by nothingatthemoment on 26 May 2017, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.