ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Angard are not fit for purpose

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
dancingqueen

Post by dancingqueen »

In my many years on using employment agencies I have never come across one as bad as Angard.

First off trying to book a shift in after getting a text message is an awful experience. if you finally do get to speak to a human being then the shift has gone.

I have been with Angard a while now and I am lucky to get one shift a week at the Chester mail centre and yet they continue to recruit new staff.

Why ?

and when I ring up to speak to them asking why I am getting no shifts they are snotty on the phone to me.

Then last week they send a polite text message saying that if anyone contacts them about shifts without receiving a text message first then there will be CONSEQUENCES. Is this a threat of some sort ?

An absolute shambles.

I have sent an email today to the Royal Mail HQ asking them to investigate the workings of Angard.

Regards

Andy
Last edited by dancingqueen on 25 Jul 2016, 16:32, edited 2 times in total.

kasu

Post by kasu »

Couldnt agree more. Sad thing is you are in no position to feedback this to them since they will at best ignore it and at worst give you even less/no shifts. I think its only suitable for supplemental or christmas work. You'll struggle to make anything close to a full time job out of it which is a shame because it coukd be so much better. I guess the AWR may be a factor...they keep taking on. Ew staff so they can keep paying minimum wage as much as possible. Then AWR is way above market rate whi h means there are always people chasing shifts. In summary its s**t for getting shifts.
dancingqueen

Post by dancingqueen »

There is something Angard people can do about it.
Let Royal Mail know how awful Angard are by email. I have done so.
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 25 Jul 2016, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sorry but due to a request by Royal mail, and the possibility of spam bots farming the addresses I have removed them.
nothingatthemoment

Post by nothingatthemoment »

:thumbup
Last edited by nothingatthemoment on 26 May 2017, 22:52, edited 2 times in total.
xUzi786

Post by xUzi786 »

I think its best to work for Angard if you want to work at one of their distribution centres because I think you can get alot of shifts there. I work at princess royal distribution centre in london and so far I have been getting roughly 2 to 3 shifts a week earning the higher rate which has been paying me well. I dont think you can rely on mail centers as they give you less hours and less shifts plus It well be hard to build up your 12 payslips to the higher rate.
nothingatthemoment

Post by nothingatthemoment »

:thumbup
Last edited by nothingatthemoment on 26 May 2017, 22:52, edited 2 times in total.
seesred
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by seesred »

The situation is getting worse, if anything. Everyone knows there is a problem, so the only conclusion seems to be that it suits RM at a national level to operate in this way. One can only speculate as to why. Angard's answer is that they are required to maintain a particular number of casuals on their books according to a level set by RM management. This means maintaining Christmas staffing numbers all year round regardless of the fact that most people, most of the time, will not have enough shifts for most of the year. Casuals are used within strict budgetary requirements, which means that offices tend to overspend during busy periods and then have to cut back when the work tails off. This also depends on how many RM staff are working at any one time, which fluctuates according to the holiday season. Budgets for casuals are controlled regionally, which means that mail centres cannot reallocate additional resources to processing, for example, so this limits how many casuals can be used at any particular time. I, like others, have mentioned on many occasions how poor this service is, to the point where it undermines RM's ability to operate effectively as a business. I have raised it with managers, the Union, RM Have Your Say. None of it has made any difference.
EL82

Post by EL82 »

Unfortunately this seems to be a frequent thing in Angard.
In Essex there was a guy who thought he was 'GOD' and literally told you he controlled the shifts. He'd talk down to most people and heaven forbid you cxl a shift due to an emergency!
Now they have a Polish lady who never answers the phone after she's sent a txt.and when you did get through she'd be rude and say all shifts are gone. But talking to other angard later they got shifts so favouritism def occurs.
you have to work once in every 6 weeks.. but weeks of no work available they took me off the list and stopped texting me! Luckily I had a 2nd job and now am with a MC! Def not a pleasant experience with Angard.
but the money is great, especially over Christmas!
edenam

Post by edenam »

@dancingqueen
Any update?

IMO, nothing will happen, no one will get back to you.
And yes there is lot of favouritism thing going on. People in good book (how - don't know) get whole week booked and I have seen it myself.
Get yourself a second job ready.
kasu

Post by kasu »

How does cancelling a shift go down with Angard. Got the next 4 Mondays booked in for a shift but may have to cancel them. Is that a black mark against your name? Got the next 4 Sundays booked too but worried they may cancel them for me which I really don't want to be cancelled.
PauloC

Post by PauloC »

After working several shifts in the last few weeks as things start to pick up, I was quite glad to be offered a block booking of 5pm - 10pm for Monday to Friday this week. First 2 days were fine, but the last 3 days have been cancelled by text at short notice. This really annoys me, as I have put off plans for evenings to work these shifts. Apparently this is quite a common thing to happen at this time of year, giving people shifts just in case, only to have Royal Mail/Angard decide on the day if you are needed.
cazz30

Post by cazz30 »

I was blocked booked. They cancelled all our shifts. Just phoned them. They got extra xmas casuals so no work it looks like.
Bazza01

Post by Bazza01 »

cazz30 wrote:I was blocked booked. They cancelled all our shifts. Just phoned them. They got extra xmas casuals so no work it looks like.
They did exactly the same last year you should get the last 2 weeks before Christmas but not much else
AC2490

Post by AC2490 »

Constantly getting the usual

"Nothing for tonight"

"i will let you know"

etc etc etc

Doesn't help that the "chosen few" angard regulars get 30+ hours as week, every week regardless of whats going on

Getting sick of finishing work at 6am then having to set my alarm for 9am just in case a text message comes though... and fills up within 5 minutes.

Speaking to others and they are having the same problems.

RM have taken on a lot of extra casuals + hired a lot through angard this year, the new starts are getting offered shifts morning, noon and night (even when they are too young to even take the nightshifts :arrrghhh )

If i phone up and ask about shifts i get the same autopilot response , then hear people ring up half an hour later and getting in no problems.....

New year new job it seems :evil/mad