ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Shifts dried up completely, should i look for alternative work?

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
tabact

Re: Shifts dried up completely, should i look for alternative work?

Post by tabact »

Shifts few and far between where I am, pretty much only 4 hours on a Monday evening every 2 or 3 weeks and only a dozen or so people called in. Apparently only a couple of casuals on each shift for the rest of the week. Did my first shift in five weeks Monday and it was very quiet. If I go over 6 weeks without a shift then I'll knock it on the head. A lot of the long term regulars at the MC have already gone. If it stays like this after the summer I'll have to find something else.

Warbo

Post by Warbo »

tabact wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 07:30
Shifts few and far between where I am, pretty much only 4 hours on a Monday evening every 2 or 3 weeks and only a dozen or so people called in. Apparently only a couple of casuals on each shift for the rest of the week. Did my first shift in five weeks Monday and it was very quiet. If I go over 6 weeks without a shift then I'll knock it on the head. A lot of the long term regulars at the MC have already gone. If it stays like this after the summer I'll have to find something else.
It seems to be the way. Possibly and with the past problems from lockdown etc the amount of shifts available was higher than normal. This raised expectations and hope of a reliable way to earn a a decent wage. Things have certainly regressed and add in the cost of travel it has become pointless for a lot of the old hands. Deffo time to move on to better things. Good luck to all. Stay safe.
Casual999

Post by Casual999 »

Over the last few weeks, shifts have been available at Mount Pleasant, mainly Tuesday, Wednesday evenings and, weekends, possible due to staff on holiday and off sick with covid, 14 casuals there yesterday, and Sunday shift today, a parcel machine is being installed, so that could impact requirement for casuals,
Lockardian
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by Lockardian »

It hasn’t been too bad this year at our mail centre, with the option of 3 or more shifts most weeks until recently. Last week I was only offered one shift, which ended up only being 4.5hrs long. Not sure if this is due to the NWH coming online or just the start of the quiet summer period - we will see. Peaks and troughs are not unusual really, and I’m aware I’m better off than a lot or casuals at other mail centres.
Casual999

Post by Casual999 »

Medway mail centre update
I used to work at medway mail centre, but now i work at mount pleasant. I have a contact at medway still there who says there are lots of shifts available there at the moment. , mainly lates, nights and very early morning.
regards