ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Voluntary absence. Can I chose which days to work?

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
Potatotomato

Voluntary absence. Can I chose which days to work?

Post by Potatotomato »

Hi,

This is my second day working as a Christmas temp and this is ridiculous. The first day we finish at 4:30 with a 40 minutes break ( around six hour shift). Today (second day) we started at 23:00 instead of 21:45 and supposed to finish at 3:00. I was not happy, but at least was a 4 hour shift. How wrong I was. We are having another 40 minutes break and might finish at 3:00. How is this even possible. A two hour shift and if we are lucky three.
This are unsociable hours and this is not acceptable.
Can I just pick and choose which days to work seeing that they are not even close to honor the hours? Maybe work for an agency for another week or two and rejoin closer to black Friday?
Thanks you!

NW11851

Re: Voluntary absence. Can I chose which days to work?

Post by NW11851 »

Sorry but if there’s insufficient work they’re not going to pay you for hours of doing very little.

They are not guaranteed hours, unfortunately.

Be careful what you wish for, at my Mail Centre it’s getting busier each week. Wait till the pandemonium starts.
robsdean7

Post by robsdean7 »

Potatotomato wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 01:49
Hi,

This is my second day working as a Christmas temp and this is ridiculous. The first day we finish at 4:30 with a 40 minutes break ( around six hour shift). Today (second day) we started at 23:00 instead of 21:45 and supposed to finish at 3:00. I was not happy, but at least was a 4 hour shift. How wrong I was. We are having another 40 minutes break and might finish at 3:00. How is this even possible. A two hour shift and if we are lucky three.
This are unsociable hours and this is not acceptable.
Can I just pick and choose which days to work seeing that they are not even close to honor the hours? Maybe work for an agency for another week or two and rejoin closer to black Friday?
Thanks you!
If you go with an agency you can pick the shift time and days you want to work, but you still won't get paid for hours not worked. Might be a bit late now though.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Based on recent years, around about now is when it really ramps up, especially the Tracked