ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Angard shift allocation and notifications

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
Mr Angryard

Angard shift allocation and notifications

Post by Mr Angryard »

Reading this forum looks like the problems I am facing getting shifts at the moment is not uncommon, and longstanding.

Have today emailed Mick Jeavons, Group Chief Financial Officer RM and Director of Angard- as follows...if you want to support the queries raised please feel free to write yourself. The more that do the more chance it will be noticed.

(May of course be risking not getting any shifts at all now, but quite a few colleagues have the same issues where I am).

Dear Mr Jeavons,

I started as a Christmas casual at RM Southampton in November 2020. On 25th Jan 2021 I was transferred to Angard. Like many I have been desperate for work in the last few Months.

I then worked diligently for the 12 weeks to reach the higher level hourly rate, earning no better than Universal Credit would have been paying me.

I was doing between 4 and 6 nigh shifts per week for those 12 weeks. I believe I work diligently when on shift.

Now, in the three weeks since I reached the higher pay rates I have had 3, 2 and 1 shifts.

There are a number of ways that Angard and RM really could improve the quality and motivation of agency staff:

1. Ensure that we get fair shares of shifts. I know some colleagues have been getting 4/5 shifts in the past three weeks so there does not appear to be any fair sharing going on.

2. The daily backfilling of late notification of shifts by email call out is also opaque as to how who is picked is decided.

Even if I have responded within a minute or two I have not been booked,

On both these counts I have emailed Angard to ask what the shift allocation policy is but they have failed to reply. It is a common complaint amongst other Angard people that they simply seem to ignore email queries.

The daily email notifications themselves are unworkable for us. If we are sleeping in the day order to be able to work nights, or doing other necessary chores, it is easy to miss emails. Anyway, as above, even when I reply quickly I get no shifts recently.

3. There appears to be no quality control. I have seen some people getting more regular shifts than me who are frankly useless. Managers are aware of this but seem to have no inclination or ability to get rid of thise who are un-productive.

4. Some (by no means all) regular staff treat agency staff with contempt. This is not the way to make your business more efficient and profitable for your shareholders.

I urge you to look carefully at the way Angard is operating as described and improve the system for our sakes and that of the RM.

I am aware that volumes and therefore staffing levels have dropped off post-Easter, but that does not explain un-equal shift allocations.

In the meantime, please can you ask someone to let me have the policies on shift allocation. Even ensuring these are fair and applied fairly would be some progress.

Many thanks,

Casual999

Re: Angard shift allocation and notifications

Post by Casual999 »

I respect you for raising your grievances in writing to the senior manager at royalmail and angard. I hope you receive a positive response from them.

Regarding allocation of shifts, bear in mind that a lot of xmas casuals and angard casuals are related in some way to Royalmail staff, and as a consequence they seem to receive preferential treatment, regarding shift allocation..For example, two senior managers at our plant, have partners and family working there, and they receive regular shifts.eg 3,4,5 shifts a week.

At the moment angard seem to be limiting a lot of awr casuals to 1 or 2 shifts a week. This is partly due to workload and the size of the angard casual pool, at our plant there must be at least 500 casuals looking for shifts.

At our plant there does not seem to be any quality control of casuals work, similar to your experience.

Good luck regards , regards, david
Warbo

Post by Warbo »

Good luck with this one. As you have stated it is a long running problem. I advise that it is a good job to earn extra but hard and frustrating to sort a bill paying wage because you are up against all sorts of hurdles. One of the problems as has been stated is the size of the pool of workers that are on the books to cover all scenarios. As for Royal Mail staff would you want us there? I have done this for a while now and see a lot of new starts seemingly when shifts are scarce. Hope you get a reply and get a positive outcome. Keep us posted.
Mr Angryard

Post by Mr Angryard »

With reference to the above replies, I am glad some people are supportive, but also understand if others are reluctant to put their head above the parapet.

Anyone else care to write to Mr Jeavons feel free!! More doing so the better as may mean more chance of action than a lone voice.......

Anyhow, to be fair and clear, I am not aware of any deliberate bias or interference by site managers for certain people.

In fact it was explained to me that the Angard set up was party at least to overcome some managers having favourites based on shared characteristics. A worthy aim.

I suspect more that resource planning across the whole country is a big matrix, and that the Angard system and policies, and/or the application of them are not fit for purpose.

I would hope that the email notification system for late shifts could be made much more user fair and friendly. When trying to cope with night work, days of poor sleep disturbed by hope/anticipation of a shift and the pinging of email alerts are not good or healthy, are compounded when even if you do manage to see and respond in time, you rarely get the shift.

For business efficiency it would be more sensible for local managers to in some way decide preference lists based on productivity for both shift allocation and late shift notifications as long as the results were monitored to ensure no trends of illegal discriminations occurring.

It may also be that RM needs to become more efficient/clever at resource management via demand planning not just based on last years i.e. better predicting levels of demand...maybe some system collating real time buying volumes from the big retailers and major sites might be one way to look at things? They'll need this sort of data when selling their services to more companies anyway as they are trying to do apparently.. Given they want to modernise I suspect they will need to get better at such things as well as buying new parcel machines!

Also, while I understand these are zero hour contracts it would be more honest of the RM to give us advance knowledge when we start of shift availability ups and downs in the year...otherwise it could be said we were a bit mislead by the lure of decent pay rates after 12 weeks!
NW11851

Post by NW11851 »

I’m sorry but, at at least one location, you are being naive.

It is more than a rumour that certain Acting Managers have long been charging those who speak a particular language £100/week for 5 weekday shifts and £25/day for each weekend day. Plus taking a large % of the accrued Holiday Pay.

Also the endless receiving of ‘presents’, food whilst in duty, shopping trips. The annual cash sum alone in >£150k.

Senior Management are well aware but feel compromised as they, too, heave been on the receiving end of the largesse.

When it was mooted that the 15, or so, Angard staff involved. Be awarded permanent contracts, one admitted offering a ‘gift’ of ££10k for such a contract!

Eventually, no contracts were issued as other Angard staff threatened legal action.

CWU are aware but have found it difficult to have the corruption stamped out.
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by paulus103 »

Our mail centre uses joinedup to book agency workers.
The system doesn't allow direct booking e.g. the mail centre does not have the ability to pay people. Hours are processed and added to joinedup app - Angard is the only one who can process the worked shifts.

However, given how Angard work e.g. they just send anybody (which caused shifts to fail when all new workers turned up).
Workers are now split between skilled and non-skilled.
The majority of workers needed are skilled.
I don't see favouritism but it does mean skilled workers work more shifts.
The overall quality of worker has improved.
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by paulus103 »

Mr Angryard wrote:
03 May 2021, 04:58
It may also be that RM needs to become more efficient/clever at resource management via demand planning not just based on last years i.e. better predicting levels of demand...maybe some system collating real-time buying volumes from the big retailers and major sites might be one way to look at things? They'll need this sort of data when selling their services to more companies anyway as they are trying to do apparently. Given they want to modernise I suspect they will need to get better at such things as well as buying new parcel machines!
RM do put a lot of effort into production control and up to recently, this would probably have been 3 senior managers per mail centre.
Job cuts have now centralised production demand, 1 manager will be liaising with shift managers and RM. We do already do what you list above - however, retailers / RM aren't always good at communicating with a mail centre.

Using last years figures is pointless given Covid so is more week to week planning in advance with tweaks prior to the next week - with staffing orders placed by Thursday. Bank holiday weeks and monthly paydays do distort forecasting.
Parcel machines are needed to make RM more competitive especially with 1st class but will mean less staff.

Parcel machines and the new regional hubs will change the RM landscape across the country and make RM more flexible regarding demand planning/staffing.
Mr Angryard

Post by Mr Angryard »

Just as an example of the problems with the late email notifications system.

Today I got an email at 16:07 for a shift tonight.

The email required a reply by 16:10!!!

I was sleeping in hope of getting a shift tonight.

The notification alarm on my laptop failed to wake me.

The email pinged when it hit my phone and woke me at 16:27, Too late to respond.

Another chance of a shift missed, and would I have got anyway if I had responded in the time?

This was 5 plus hours before the shift. Given that they have so many people could they not have given at least a little longer to respond?

And then the question as to how they select remains?

Anyhow, just a live example of part of the Angard problem.
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by paulus103 »

Mr Angryard wrote:
03 May 2021, 22:52
Just as an example of the problems with the late email notifications system.

Today I got an email at 16:07 for a shift tonight.

The email required a reply by 16:10!!!

I was sleeping in hope of getting a shift tonight.

The notification alarm on my laptop failed to wake me.

The email pinged when it hit my phone and woke me at 16:27, Too late to respond.

Another chance of a shift missed, and would I have got anyway if I had responded in the time?

This was 5 plus hours before the shift. Given that they have so many people could they not have given at least a little longer to respond?

And then the question as to how they select remains?

Anyhow, just a live example of part of the Angard problem.
When I was Angard and ringing up then it was first come first served
Casual999

Post by Casual999 »

Re paulus posting , skilled angard casuals getting more shifts, do you mean experienced, rather than skilled?
In my opinion, i would classify the work as unskilled, you do not need any tickets and the bare minimum training , i normally work inward parcels sort, inward tacked heavy & large sort, opening tso bags into conveyor belts, i don't know about the machines, and if they require you to have significant training, my induction was more health & safety , rather than any training
Rvlvr

Post by Rvlvr »

What I don’t understand is why they bother asking us to fill in our availability on Joined Up only to then send out emails and allocate shifts on a first come first served basis? I too remember the old system when you’d have to ring up in response to a text, rather than reply to an email, and I thought one of the reasons for moving to Joined Up was so that shifts could be allocated more fairly.

Things have quietened down at my MC, I’m picking up a couple of night shifts a week, which is still good enough for me, but some people are down to one a fortnight while the managers’ favourites are still getting the 4-5 they were picking up during the COVID peaks. Everyone knows it’s unfair but it’s been going on since anyone can remember and will never change sadly.
Warbo

Post by Warbo »

Rvlvr wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:24
What I don’t understand is why they bother asking us to fill in our availability on Joined Up only to then send out emails and allocate shifts on a first come first served basis? I too remember the old system when you’d have to ring up in response to a text, rather than reply to an email, and I thought one of the reasons for moving to Joined Up was so that shifts could be allocated more fairly.

Things have quietened down at my MC, I’m picking up a couple of night shifts a week, which is still good enough for me, but some people are down to one a fortnight while the managers’ favourites are still getting the 4-5 they were picking up during the COVID peaks. Everyone knows it’s unfair but it’s been going on since anyone can remember and will never change sadly.
Angard need to be able to cover any and all possible scenario. Staff holidays/absence unpredicted volume/events etc. The Joined Up way wins it for me down to no more 15 minute phone calls to get a shift.
I can only repeat that its a good un for earning extra but must be very hard for them that look to be paying Bills from it.
Warbo

Post by Warbo »

NW11851 wrote:
03 May 2021, 08:56
I’m sorry but, at at least one location, you are being naive.

It is more than a rumour that certain Acting Managers have long been charging those who speak a particular language £100/week for 5 weekday shifts and £25/day for each weekend day. Plus taking a large % of the accrued Holiday Pay.

Also the endless receiving of ‘presents’, food whilst in duty, shopping trips. The annual cash sum alone in >£150k.

Senior Management are well aware but feel compromised as they, too, heave been on the receiving end of the largesse.

When it was mooted that the 15, or so, Angard staff involved. Be awarded permanent contracts, one admitted offering a ‘gift’ of ££10k for such a contract!

Eventually, no contracts were issued as other Angard staff threatened legal action.

CWU are aware but have found it difficult to have the corruption stamped out.
10k eh !!! For that I might consider a look at a permanent contract (if it was coming my way) ONLY 3 shifts a week though possibly 4 ever third week! Food presents would be o bonus!!
Warbo

Post by Warbo »

paulus103 wrote:
03 May 2021, 20:26
The system doesn't allow direct booking e.g. the mail centre does not have the ability to pay people. Hours are processed and added to joinedup app - Angard is the only one who can process the worked shifts.

However, given how Angard work e.g. they just send anybody (which caused shifts to fail when all new workers turned up).
So there will be no blank sheet for "not on the list"/2called at short notice" etc workers.
Are the sheets not processed by the book room?
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by paulus103 »

Warbo wrote:
06 May 2021, 15:59
paulus103 wrote:
03 May 2021, 20:26

So there will be no blank sheet for "not on the list"/2called at short notice" etc workers.
Are the sheets not processed by the book room?
Workers sign sheets, book room add hours to joined up - they have to be on the list sent by Angard as no way to add hours otherwise
At end of the payroll week, hours are approved by Angard and then processed by angard payroll.
There can be a blank sheet but very rarely however people need to be assigned the shifts prior to arrival otherwise no way to enter their hours.

When people work without being on joinedup - mistakes do happen it takes months for payment to be authorised and processed.