ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

'Meltdown' at UK passport renewals forces travellers to cancel Easter breaks

Competitors and other mail organisations around the world news and discussion.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

'Meltdown' at UK passport renewals forces travellers to cancel Easter breaks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/ ... ter-breaks

Travellers are being forced to cancel Easter travel bookings because of a backlog at HM Passport Office which is delaying renewals.

Some passengers have been left hundreds of pounds out of pocket because their new passports failed to arrive before their departure date.

The Passport Office is currently advising travellers to allow up to 10 weeks for applications to be processed, up from an average turnaround time of three weeks before the pandemic.

Meanwhile, service failings with the government’s official courier, TNT, mean some applicants are waiting weeks for delivery after their passport has been issued.

Frustrated holidaymakers have complained of a system in meltdown with uncontactable customer services, processing errors and a lack of appointments for the premium-price fast-track service.

Linda Hill had to cancel a holiday in France with her newly bereaved father after a replacement for her damaged passport failed to arrive in time.

She had paid £142 for the fast-track service which requires applicants to submit their paperwork during a face-to-face appointment and promises delivery within a week.

“There were no available appointments anywhere close, so I had to make a six-hour round trip from Sussex to Peterborough,” she said.

Both the Passport Office and TNT told Hill that the passport would be delivered on day-eight but it didn’t show up.

How can TNT take three months to deliver a passport?

“The fiasco has cost me £500 because of the lost holiday, but worse was the immense stress caused to my family because the trip was to comfort my father after my mother died last month,” she said.

Others claim that their applications were delayed or even terminated because the Passport Office failed to log supporting documents.

One mother told the Guardian that she had sent her daughter’s old passport by signed-for delivery in January. Royal Mail tracking showed it had been delivered, but her online account continues to show that the old passport is required.

“I have called the helpline over 15 times and submitted numerous webforms with the tracking details showing that we have sent it,” she said.

“Weeks have passed with no response and now we’ve been advised that the application will be withdrawn this month and we’ll lose our £80.50 fee if they don’t receive the old passport they’ve had since January.”

The Passport Office has reported a surge in applications for passports after the lifting of Covid travel restrictions, with many families planning holidays abroad for the first time in two years.

An HMPO spokesperson said: “Due to Covid-19, over 5 million people delayed applying for a British passport throughout 2020 and 2021. In preparation for the demand for international travel returning, since April 2021 our published guidance has made clear people should allow up to 10 weeks to get their passport.

“In busier periods, call waiting times will take longer. However, we continue to work with our supplier to further recruit and support the effort to return response times closer to normal levels.”

It said that appointments were available to book up to three weeks in advance and that those who experience delays after paying for a fast-track service should apply for a refund.

Some applicants have reported waits of up to three months after the document has been issued as TNT struggles to meet demand. The US-owned company, part of FedEx, signed a £77m three-year contract with the Home Office to deliver official travel documents in 2019 and has since been criticised for missed deliveries, poor communications and long delays.

It blames a surge in demand post-pandemic for service shortfalls

A TNT spokesperson said: “We took a number of actions to restore service levels across our HM Passport Office network – including operational resources, extra team support and additional customer support resources – and we are currently operating within the service level requirements agreed with the Home Office. We apologise to any customer who has experienced a delay with their passport delivery and we will continue to work with HMPO to resolve individual cases.”

Most standard travel insurers do not pay out for trips cancelled due to passport issues. However, those who have lost holidays because of delays can take their case to the Financial Services Ombudsman who may require the insurer to pay out if the customer can show they took reasonable steps to secure their passport in time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

postieaw11

Re: 'Meltdown' at UK passport renewals forces travellers to cancel Easter breaks

Post by postieaw11 »

lol. Only a moron would book a holiday before having their passport sorted.
NWpostie

Re: 'Meltdown' at UK passport renewals forces travellers to cancel Easter breaks

Post by NWpostie »

Indeed, as ever always ensure you hsve the passports in hand before booking anything.

I once delivered a passport special delivery to a customer who said it was a day late as they were due to fly out the day before, I could only say "don't shoot the messenger, I can only deliver what the locker can give me on that day." and express my sympathy.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Shirtbuttons
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Shirtbuttons »

We don’t deliver new passports our competitors do. We just deliver back the old cut up expired ones.
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Munchboii »

Still deliver passports in my area, although no TNT here either