ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Ex-Yodel driver claims late pay 'ruined Christmas'

Competitors and other mail organisations around the world news and discussion.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Ex-Yodel driver claims late pay 'ruined Christmas'

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/e ... te-6445895

A Derby man claims his employer took weeks to pay him his Christmas wages, despite him completing the work he was contracted to do.

The employee, who has asked to remain anonymous, originally worked for the NHS on its vaccine booster system.

But, after a recommendation from a friend, he was persuaded to start working for Yodel as a Christmas delivery driver after being promised £150 per day.

His friend gave him the contact details for a recruiter from an agency, who sorted out the job for him.

The worker says that his job was organised over text and email and was never given a formal contract.

He said: “I jumped at the chance to earn double what I was getting at the NHS, my friend had already been doing it for a week, said he’d been paid so I didn’t think anything of it.

“I messaged the people, they sent me an email, even the email said it was £150 per day which legitimised it for me.

“They took my details and asked questions about my driving history, and pretty much said show up to Yodel at 6am and ask for the site manager and they’ll sort it.”

He became employed by an agency, Zebra Personnel, run by Matt Tyler, who is based at Alfreton, which contracted him to Yodel.

He started work as a Yodel delivery driver on November 30 and worked until December 20, working a total of 19 days.

Despite being promised weekly pay, the employee became concerned when the company failed to pay him after the first week.

He said Zebra Personnel claimed there were Yodel-wide issues affecting payment and he would be paid the next week.

The worker added: “I never received my pay after the first Friday so I messaged the recruiter and he said everyone was having an issue and said they would sort it as soon as possible.

“I didn’t want to complain too much because it was good money, but by December 15, they had only paid me for two and a half days.

“They said three or four times that they’ve had issues and haven’t managed to pay us.”

He said the local Yodel site manager promised him that he would be paid his money on December 20, but this payment failed to come through.

After failing to receive more than £3,000 that he was owed in time for Christmas, he quit the job and was forced to take out loans and go into debt to afford to pay his rent and buy his family Christmas presents.

He claims that the delay in payment and lack of responses to his enquiries ruined his Christmas.

“By December 23 they still hadn’t paid me, so now I’m panicking and thinking ‘was this whole thing a scam from day one?’,” he said.

“I rang the manager and asked whether Yodel were handing out dodgy contracts, but he said that Yodel had paid the agency and they should have paid us.

“I told him I couldn’t do anything for Christmas, I was without a month’s wages and had to borrow money to pay for Christmas.

“It all snowballed and was getting too much for me.”

He believes this situation affected around 120 other workers who were under the same contract.

He added that his friends at the company had also not been paid when they should have been.

He has also been largely unable to contact the agency regarding the problem.

A Yodel spokesperson commented: “Yodel’s workforce is made up of a mix of full-time employed colleagues as well as self-employed couriers who often work via an agency.

"[Name redacted] was contracted via his agency who were paid in full before Christmas - we encourage him to contact the agency.”

Derbyshire Live reached out to Matt Tyler, the director of Zebra Personnel. All he would say is that the employee was paid on January 5.

But, the employee believes this was too little too late and it still had a detrimental effect on his Christmas and mental well-being.

He added: “They still messed me about regardless of whether I’ve been paid or not, they still ruined my Christmas.

"Even though I received the money in the end, the situation still ruined my Christmas and new year.

"I still had to borrow money and the last few weeks have been crazy and super stressful.

"I hope my story can be a lesson to other people out there thinking about doing temp work.

"Always request a contract, even if it's self employed and always keep your own personal records of your hours and days worked.

"I'd hate someone else in the future to end up in my position, especially in December which is the most expensive month for the majority of people."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."