ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

HERMES TURNOVER SOARS AS PANDEMIC BOOSTS ONLINE RETAIL

Competitors and other mail organisations around the world news and discussion.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

HERMES TURNOVER SOARS AS PANDEMIC BOOSTS ONLINE RETAIL

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.insidermedia.com/news/yorks ... ine-retail

Turnover has soared to more than £1.4bn at parcel delivery giant Hermes UK as growth in online retail during the pandemic led to a sustained increase in demand for its services.

Hermes UK, headquartered in Morley, Leeds, delivers more than 640 million parcels a year on behalf of European retailers and has a nationwide estate of 6,000 ParcelShops and InPost lockers.

Recently filed accounts for Hermes Parcelnet show turnover of £1.45bn for the 52 weeks to 27 February 2021, up from £860m in 2019/20.

Pre-tax profit also increased to £130.8m from £43.1m the previous year.

In August 2020 it was announced that private equity firm Advent International had agreed a deal to acquire a 75 per cent stake in Hermes UK, as well as a 25 per cent stake in Hermes Germany, from Otto Group.

In their report accompanying the results, the directors said: "The financial year under review has been one of significant uncertainty and challenge as the nation and the business adapted to the impacts of Covid-19. The most significant of which has been a sustained increase in the demand for online delivery services from our retail (B2C) and end user customers (C2C) both through the periods of national lockdown and over summer 2020 when none essential retail stores were trading.

"Our response to the pandemic had a number of phases, with our main and overriding focus being the safety of our workforce and their dependents through the introduction of COVID secure working practices and contact free delivery."

To provide additional capacity during 2020/21, Hermes scaled-up operations at its peak relief site in Nuneaton and brought forward four depot replacements.

The company also developed a bespoke fulfil from store service to augment retailer online warehousing capacity, increased the number of lockers in its out of home estate to about 1,200, and doubled the number of couriers in its network to about 26,000.

The directors added: "In parallel to our Covid response, we have continued to develop the business and further improve our customer offering with a focus on new products development and ongoing technology enhancements.

"Coupled with our flexible and scalable operating model this has allowed us to add new blue chip clients to the roster, increase our share of wallet from existing clients and successfully grow in new markets, particularly inbound volume from China for delivery to UK consumers and peer to peer deliveries through partnerships with online market places such as Vinted and Depop.

"This has been accompanied by further progress in enhancing the UKs only union backed self-employed courier network which provides paid holidays and guaranteed national minimum wage whilst still maintaining the flexibility on working patterns which are couriers value so highly under our Self-Employed Plus (SE+) model."

Earlier this year, Hermes announced it was recruiting for 1,400 jobs at a new parcel distribution hub in Barnsley due to be completed in September 2022.

The UK arm of Hermes was established in 1974 as Grattan Mail Order in Bradford.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

Mazda

Re: HERMES TURNOVER SOARS AS PANDEMIC BOOSTS ONLINE RETAIL

Post by Mazda »

Helping to achieve the huge profit was the pay cuts to all its couriers, along with changing the banding of parcels so less were paid at standard rate. Lots of the old couriers, myself included, have left and newbies are on ridiculously low rates. I left after a very long time, my costs rose and I was on less money than 10 years ago. Since I've left I've seen 3 different people doing my old round, as soon as they get paid, they leave.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

Mazda wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 08:50
Helping to achieve the huge profit was the pay cuts to all its couriers, along with changing the banding of parcels so less were paid at standard rate. Lots of the old couriers, myself included, have left and newbies are on ridiculously low rates. I left after a very long time, my costs rose and I was on less money than 10 years ago. Since I've left I've seen 3 different people doing my old round, as soon as they get paid, they leave.
Thanks mate.
So what brought you here?
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Mazda

Post by Mazda »

All of the above basically. Fed up off being told I earnt to much, even though I was self employed so didn't see what how much I earnt was anything to do with them. Stealth cuts to pay, diesel increase, car courier insurance £1k plus, pda removed, had to supply own phone and data asked for a rise and was told no, we are out of budget, so decided I was as well. Started 15 years ago on 45p a parcel, left on 56p a pkt. Enough was enough. Loved the job so doing same thing now and feel so much better, it's harder work but I'm not demoralised and not any worse off financially.