ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

An Post - Post Office network on verge of collapse, says Galway TD

Competitors and other mail organisations around the world news and discussion.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

An Post - Post Office network on verge of collapse, says Galway TD

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/post-o ... galway-td/

A Galway TD has said that the Post Office network is about to collapse and branch closures are inevitable without immediate support from the Government.

East Galway TD Seán Canney called for an urgent response from the government, saying that there is a socio-economic benefit for communities that cannot be easily be measured.

“From July 1, postmaster operated offices face a major challenge as a significant reduction in payment rates, an on average fall of approximately 20% will take effect,” said Deputy Canney.

“The Regional Group has continuously pointed out that An Post requires support in the roll out of new services, and the delivery of its strategic plan, to ensure its financial viability.

“In the meantime, An Post needs immediate intervention until a long-term strategy is put in place to ensure its survival.”

The Independent TD said that there must be direct intervention by the Government to develop new State services for the post office network.

“There are currently 875 Postmaster and 45 An Post operated post offices in the country,” he added.

“An Post is one of the last Government agents existing in our communities throughout the country and the Government committed to a sustainable nationwide post office network as a key component of the economic and social infrastructure in both rural and urban areas.

“The Regional Group highlighted that the strategy adopted by this Government is to allow Post offices to close before intervening and to support only the most viable, ignoring the fact that post offices are a necessity for those living in regional Ireland.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."