ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hermes stashed a parcel in my bin without telling me and it was emptied before I found out, now I can't get a refund

Competitors and other mail organisations around the world news and discussion.This is an open forum.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL

Hermes stashed a parcel in my bin without telling me and it was emptied before I found out, now I can't get a refund

Post by RobertT »

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/exp ... -fair.html

In February, I bought items from justmylook.co.uk for a total of £70. I waited a long time for the delivery so enquired with the retailer to see where it was.
It replied with the tracking details from Hermes. Attached was a picture of my parcel in the bin which was then emptied.
It didn't leave a note through the door saying where it was, I don't always check my emails nor did I tell them to leave it in my bin either.
They are refusing to refund or replace. Why should I go without because of their mistake? L.C., via email

Grace Gausden, consumer expert at This is Money, replies: You were left in a rubbish scenario after Hermes, the delivery firm, left your parcel in your bin with no explanation.

After ordering some clothing from Just My Look online, you realised you had been waiting sometime for the delivery and decided to contact the firm to chase it up.

It sent over the tracking details, which you say you hadn't received, from Hermes which showed a picture of the parcel in your bin.

Not long after the delivery of clothes was made by Hermes, your bin was emptied, with the package inside - leaving you in a wheelie frustrating situation.

You had no idea the items were put in the bin as no calling card had been put through the door to advise that a delivery had been attempted whilst you were at work.

Usually, these notes will tell the customer whether they need to re-arrange delivery, if the parcel is with a neighbour or, in your instance, whether it has been hidden somewhere nearby.

You said that since February, you have been going back and forth with Just My Look to try and get a refund or a replacement.

However, the retailer told you that as Hermes said it was delivered, that's that and you're not getting a replacement or a refund.

Obviously, this is incredibly frustrating as you were not advised the parcel had been left in your bin nor do you have a habit of checking them without due cause.

Hermes says on its website that if a safe place hasn’t been chosen but there is somewhere safe to deliver the parcel, it will leave it there and include a photo in the delivery notification email.

However, clearly leaving an item in a bin and then not informing its customer does not constitute as 'safe'.

I contacted Hermes remarking on this and fortunately it recognised its mistake.

A Hermes spokesperson said: 'We have apologised to Ms C for the inconvenience and this delivery to what was clearly not a safe place and we will address this with the local courier.

'We can confirm that Ms C has now received a full refund from justmylook.co.uk. Customers experiencing delivery issues should contact their retailer in the first instance, who will contact Hermes on their behalf where necessary - this is industry standard.

'Please note that Hermes has not used "calling cards" since the start of the pandemic as part of its commitment to "contactless delivery" and all delivery communications are now digital.'

It added that instead of calling cards, customers will now receive an email or text either from their retailer or Hermes.

However, there has been a reported rise in scam texts from parcel firms going round this year.

These texts will say a parcel is waiting for a customer or a delivery has been unsuccessful, for example, before then asking customers to click on a link and hand over financial information.

Many appear to be genuinely from Hermes, Royal Mail or DPD, for example, meaning some customers may be unlikely to open or check these texts as they could believe they are fraudulent.

Hermes also said it had emailed you but, as you have said, you don't check them regularly and sometimes these will end up in junk mail meaning they may not be received.

One thing customers can do is set a safe place with Hermes and other couriers either through its app or online so that, hopefully, in the future, scenarios such as yours can be avoided and you won't be binned off by your delivery firm.