ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

York: Last-mile delivery trial aims to cut city air pollution

Competitors and other mail organisations around the world news and discussion.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

York: Last-mile delivery trial aims to cut city air pollution

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-61910025

Firms sending goods to York businesses will be urged to send their parcels to a central hub for delivery in a bid to cut air pollution and traffic.

The "last-mile" scheme will see parcels delivered from the hub on cargo bikes and on foot to city centre firms, City of York Council said.

The nine-month pilot scheme is set to begin in September, the authority said.

In 2019, the council announced a Climate Emergency and set an ambition for York to be a net-zero city by 2030.

The Local Democracy Reporting Service said the council had undertaken a feasibility study and wanted to sign up York businesses and operators such as Amazon, Royal Mail and Hermes to the trial.

'Long overdue'

Councillor Andy D'Agorne, executive member for transport, said the council regularly discussed "the constraints of a tight city centre".

He added: "Increased last-mile delivery is certainly something I think the city is going to welcome and benefit from."

Labour's transport spokesperson, Councillor Rachel Melly, said the council looking at ways of reducing carbon emissions was "long overdue".

She said: "Freight accounts for one third of all transport carbon emissions and van traffic has doubled in the 25 years leading up to 2019."

City of York Council has been given £285,000 by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for the project.

The authority said it had identified one of its own buildings, 107-109 Walmgate, as a base for the hub to be used in the pilot scheme.

The results of the project were expected to be considered at the end of 2023, according to a council report.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."