not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Post CV-19 Share Price...

07 Apr 2020, 06:21

Probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice to think that given the praise and recognition the delivery sector has been getting as result of the crisis, that this shameful race to the bottom is now reconsidered.

Will our ''gig economy'' competitors finally be forced to offer improved T&C's and better pay to their workforce, bringing them more on a par with our pay and T&C's?

This would potentially level the playing field and make them less competitive and could bring more parcels business to RM.

Along with an overall increase in parcels from the people who never previously did much online shopping but have now been converted to it through being forced to stay at home and have no other option?

Possibly some optimism for an increase in the SP in the long term?
Last edited by wacko74 on 07 Apr 2020, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

07 Apr 2020, 08:45

Ex RM here. As the current share price is below the break up price (150p I think) that in itself is interesting. Attractive to a bid too? Well with RM's well documented Union issues that is surely unlikely. I currently hold 4000 and need 190p out of them, wake me up in 2 years?

08 Apr 2020, 16:02

wacko74 wrote:Probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice to think that given the praise and recognition the delivery sector has been getting as result of the crisis, that this shameful race to the bottom is now reconsidered.

Will our ''gig economy'' competitors finally be forced to offer improved T&C's and better pay to their workforce, bringing them more on a par with our pay and T&C's?

This would potentially level the playing field and make them less competitive and could bring more parcels business to RM.

Along with an overall increase in parcels from the people who never previously did much online shopping but have now been converted to it through being forced to stay at home and have no other option?

They way I look at it is some of the parcel firms could go bust and Royal Mail can sweep up the work. Just like when city link went bust.

08 Apr 2020, 20:09

cloherty1976 wrote:
wacko74 wrote:Probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice to think that given the praise and recognition the delivery sector has been getting as result of the crisis, that this shameful race to the bottom is now reconsidered.

They way I look at it is some of the parcel firms could go bust and Royal Mail can sweep up the work. Just like when city link went bust.

Unfortunately I'd say as it stands RM are the ones more likely to go bust, we're the ones who are being effectively forced to continue operating throughout this as we've been classed as a key service, meanwhile our gig economy rivals could presumably temporarily halt working and furlough their staff if they decided it wasn't economically viable to keep operating.

I wouldn't really want to see anyone go bust, not even our competitors, as that would mean people losing their jobs, I'd rather just see improved pay and conditions for their workers and if that ultimately means they are unable to undercut us so much and we regain an increased market share then so be it.

11 Apr 2020, 00:10

Too much work for anyone to go busted at this time problem is consumerism killing us or the consumer!

06 May 2020, 17:58

I think this is unlikely for the following reasons.

1. People dont care who deliver their parcels for the most part: even the richest people we deliver to are still using amazon prime for free deliveries. Which means that they will always want to pay the cheapest unless they want Royal Mail for better service (which we are).

2. There will be masses of unemployment and therefore lots of people desperate for work. This means if those companies like Hermes or DPD try to Unionise like RM then their workforces may just be replaced entirely. Because there is a 10 mile line of unemployed people desperate for work.

In conclusion this is sadly unlikely. However I'd like to add the following points.

The pandemic may lead to a law which requires every employer to pay sick, holiday and pension to every employee. Therefore companies like Hermes and yodel would have to substantially increase their operating costs. Hermes may no longer be able to pay ££ per parcel due to this and be forced into paying a base hourly rate. Overall this will mean that the margin between their cheap costs and Royal Mail's good reputation becomes very small. Hopefully leading to Royal Mail winning contracts because of this.

Also I'd like to add that Royal Mail needs to add 1 hour time slots to tracked parcels. If Hermes and DPD can do it then why cant we? Many companies currently are choosing DPD over Royal Mail due to the time slots and also the "15 minute warning" feature. I'm not a tech person but I see absolutely no reason why we cannot adopt this and also go above and beyond. Surely 30 minute time slots should be possible as we all have the same rounds and routes every day.

In addition I believe Royal Mail needs a better network for sorting larger volumes of parcels. The 3 parcel hubs should hopefully help with this.

Also a final point, I think that parcelforce should be merged with Royal Mail. Not to create job losses. The PF guys will carry on as normal but with Royal Mail Van's and van colours. What is the point in parcelforce and royal mail having separate parcel sorting centres? It is so stupid! I think if parcelforce could become own with Royal Mail, then Royal Mail's good reputation could boost parcelforce and increase volume that way. Because let's face it, parcelforce volumes are decreasing and losing big time to DPD and UPS. time for change!

10 May 2020, 13:55

Munchboii wrote:

I think this is unlikely for the following reasons.

1. People dont care who deliver their parcels for the most part: even the richest people we deliver to are still using amazon prime for free deliveries. Which means that they will always want to pay the cheapest unless they want Royal Mail for better service (which we are).

2. There will be masses of unemployment and therefore lots of people desperate for work. This means if those companies like Hermes or DPD try to Unionise like RM then their workforces may just be replaced entirely. Because there is a 10 mile line of unemployed people desperate for work.

In conclusion this is sadly unlikely. However I'd like to add the following points.

The pandemic may lead to a law which requires every employer to pay sick, holiday and pension to every employee. Therefore companies like Hermes and yodel would have to substantially increase their operating costs. Hermes may no longer be able to pay ££ per parcel due to this and be forced into paying a base hourly rate. Overall this will mean that the margin between their cheap costs and Royal Mail's good reputation becomes very small. Hopefully leading to Royal Mail winning contracts because of this.

Also I'd like to add that Royal Mail needs to add 1 hour time slots to tracked parcels. If Hermes and DPD can do it then why cant we? Many companies currently are choosing DPD over Royal Mail due to the time slots and also the "15 minute warning" feature. I'm not a tech person but I see absolutely no reason why we cannot adopt this and also go above and beyond. Surely 30 minute time slots should be possible as we all have the same rounds and routes every day.

In addition I believe Royal Mail needs a better network for sorting larger volumes of parcels. The 3 parcel hubs should hopefully help with this.

Also a final point, I think that parcelforce should be merged with Royal Mail. Not to create job losses. The PF guys will carry on as normal but with Royal Mail Van's and van colours. What is the point in parcelforce and royal mail having separate parcel sorting centres? It is so stupid! I think if parcelforce could become own with Royal Mail, then Royal Mail's good reputation could boost parcelforce and increase volume that way. Because let's face it, parcelforce volumes are decreasing and losing big time to DPD and UPS. time for change!

I don't know how long you have been or if you are a postie but there is no chance of RM being able to guarantee a one hour time slot for delivery. A thirty minute delivery slot will never ever be possible and may even be troublesome for the competitors. There are still too many variables such as failures at MCs, having to break off route to deliver 9am or 1pm SDs, breaking off route to find a toilet or return to DO to use toilet, variables in amount of mail and parcels, staff shortages, lack of vans or equipment. Even the four hour window is difficult for us to achieve. Maybe if we stopped delivering letters & flats there may be more chance of achieving it.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1