not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

MRM.COM : New employee share plan opens Friday 27 July

09 Aug 2018, 22:21

BELIAL wrote:Lambs to the slaughter.
You don't get owt for nowt ,go ask some BT employees who did this crap years ago.

Yet more platitudes and nonsense.

09 Aug 2018, 23:24

:shock: stalker

16 Aug 2018, 21:57

I'm still not certain about this. I wasn't thinking of investing the upper limit, maybe £8 a month. Not sure about it at all.

16 Aug 2018, 22:11

ScousePostie wrote:I'm still not certain about this. I wasn't thinking of investing the upper limit, maybe £8 a month. Not sure about it at all.

If your in it for the long time i think its a win win , personally ill invest £11.54 per week and if the shares stay under £5 , then an extra 2 free shares per month plus the 32% saving on tax and Ni on the way in :Very Happy

16 Aug 2018, 22:17

ScousePostie wrote:I'm still not certain about this. I wasn't thinking of investing the upper limit, maybe £8 a month. Not sure about it at all.

If you're not certain Scouse don't do it.....and if you were only going to bang in 8 quid a month (or even a week if that's what you meant)
the dealing charge (17.50) when selling could possibly eat up a significant % of any share price growth that MIGHT or MIGHT NOT
happen over the term you have to hold them without having to pay income tax/NIC's.

As a lot of personal finance advisers say 'Don't let the tax tail wag the investment dog.....'

17 Aug 2018, 10:08

If you are not sure don't do it. If you are not already doing it, why not put some money into AVCs, towards your pension instead? You get tax relief, plus PSE.

27 Aug 2018, 15:29

Its a share saving scheme. If it runs for two years and you buy £x of shares each month after five years you can sell the first months shares tax free so you have an income for two years a good pension top up for the older posties, you would have been paid dividends for that time and only if the price dived would you lose even then you can keep the shares and take the dividends.

28 Aug 2018, 21:40

cpsteve wrote:Its a share saving scheme. If it runs for two years and you buy £x of shares each month after five years you can sell the first months shares tax free so you have an income for two years a good pension top up for the older posties, you would have been paid dividends for that time and only if the price dived would you lose even then you can keep the shares and take the dividends.

you can sell the first months shares

at 17.50 per sale

you would have been paid dividends for that time

not necessarily - Tesco - dividends suspended from end 2014 to end 2017, BP suspended dividends for part of 2010, Lloyds dividends not paid 2008 - 2014 and these are 'Blue chips' just like Royal Mail....

and only if the price dived would you lose....keep the shares....take the dividends

if the price has dived it's because the big boys believe there's a reason to ditch them....like the dividend falling/disappearing - and if you're using
the shares as a pension top up as you suggested that's a hit on your capital that I would suggest you don't need in retirement.

Being tied in to one share with all the conditions attached for five years - it's not for me.

Caveat empor.....

13 Sep 2018, 18:25

yellowbelly wrote:if the price has dived it's because the big boys believe there's a reason to ditch them....like the dividend falling/disappearing - and if you're using
the shares as a pension top up as you suggested that's a hit on your capital that I would suggest you don't need in retirement.

Being tied in to one share with all the conditions attached for five years - it's not for me.

But what if it wasn't "one share" but was "one share amongst many/several in your portfolio", and what if the tie-in period of 5 years was significantly less than the length of time you expected/planned to hold the shares anyway?

From my perspective I'm going to get to buy (using today's closing price) £28.94 worth of shares and it's only going to cost me £16.40. As a result the dividend yield (using the last year's dividends) will be 8.78% and not 4.98%, and even with the amount I'm throwing in the direction of this scheme the percentage of my portfolio that Royal Mail makes up is only going to be trending downwards.

18 Sep 2018, 11:50

Can you still join the scheme....?

And if so how..

Thanks

18 Sep 2018, 14:27

Hawkey99 wrote:Can you still join the scheme....?

Yes!

And if so how..

It tells you in the booklet you got a few weeks ago. I'm sure there's a 'soft copy' on myroyalmail somewhere, if you've lost yours.

25 Oct 2018, 09:30

westy23 wrote:Have I understood it correctly that as I am over 60 I could in theory retire 6 months into the share plan and take them all tax exempt?

..Only if you are retired through the ill health scheme..if you volunteer to retire,then you will pay tax and nics.

25 Oct 2018, 14:52

cantonkid1955 wrote:
westy23 wrote:Have I understood it correctly that as I am over 60 I could in theory retire 6 months into the share plan and take them all tax exempt?

..Only if you are retired through the ill health scheme..if you volunteer to retire,then you will pay tax and nics.

That is wrong! Have a read of the partnership and matching booklet, where it says:

Employee who leaves due to one of the following circumstances. This makes you a ‘tax exempt leaver’:

You have an injury or disability which means you can no longer do your job
You are made redundant
You retire in line with our current policy on retirement for the purposes of the SIP (see frequently asked questions)
The part of the company or business you work for is sold or transferred
You die

And the FAQ's:

How do you define ‘retirement’ for the purpose of tax exemption when leaving Royal Mail?

This is currently defined as ‘resignation aged 60 or over’. Please check with HR Services for the latest definition of retirement, if you are planning on retiring soon.

Previous page Next page

Page 5 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5