not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

MRM.COM : New employee share plan opens Friday 27 July

07 Aug 2018, 18:24

yellowbelly wrote:
milly wrote:........There is nothing ethically or morally wrong from profiting from this scheme it is your choice as an individual whether or not you take part.
Emotional blackmail isn't the most persuasive of arguments.

Depends on your point of view - it could be said that the sell off/privatisation of an organisation that had been 'owned' by the tax paying public (via the Govt.) for hundreds of years was/is morally wrong - monies that would have gone to the public purse to help fund NHS, education, pothole fixing etc. now going to shareholders all over the
world.

I wonder what happened to the money raised from the sale of Royal Mail. Perhaps it went to the public purse. :thumbup

08 Aug 2018, 17:05

Schiff wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
milly wrote:........There is nothing ethically or morally wrong from profiting from this scheme it is your choice as an individual whether or not you take part.
Emotional blackmail isn't the most persuasive of arguments.

Depends on your point of view - it could be said that the sell off/privatisation of an organisation that had been 'owned' by the tax paying public (via the Govt.) for hundreds of years was/is morally wrong - monies that would have gone to the public purse to help fund NHS, education, pothole fixing etc. now going to shareholders all over the
world.

I wonder what happened to the money raised from the sale of Royal Mail. Perhaps it went to the public purse. :thumbup

No.

Royal Mail was floated not sold.

They made £3.3 billion from the shares sale, but they also transferred the deficit of the Royal Mail pension, £8.5 billion. - There was no money raised to go back into the public purse, in fact, the public purse was £5.2 billion worse off.

09 Aug 2018, 16:29

BELIAL wrote: Simple reality.
All of RM profit is extracted from from it's workforce. IF RM had zero employees it would cease to function and would make no profit.
To make more profit ,boost the share price and enhance the dividend RM must extract more returns from it's workforce.
If you want longer walks ;more lapsing ;treble prepping ;management bullying off the scale ,this is the scheme for you.

No such thing as a free lunch,unless you are an old Etonian

Since this scheme isn't creating any extra shares, why does my buying extra shares resulting in our T&Cs / Pay / etc being put through the shredder but my not buying shares not result in the same? After all, those same shares would still be in existence and owned by someone, just not me. Also if I buy additional shares not through this scheme, i.e. just direct on the stock market, does that result in the same shredding occurring? (In which case I have a supplemental question as to how the RM will know whether I've bought additional shares or not?)

Additionally since this scheme would result in both an increased demand (albeit not necessarily a very big increase) for Royal Mail shares, and those shares being unlikely to be sold in the short term then it will tend to increase the share price on it's own without the RM having to do anything to improve the underlying financial performance of the business.

Plus there are several ways that the RM could reduce it's costs (and thus it's income) without requiring us to do any extra work at all. Indeed in the case of electric vans we'd arguably doing less work, since they wouldn't be paying us to drive to the nearest filling station and stand there being "unproductive" whilst we poured unleaded/diesel into the tank.

09 Aug 2018, 19:18

norm wrote:They should have opened a new SAYE scheme, that was genuinely more helpful and rewarding to staff as some used it like a saving scheme but had the option to invest in shares IF they wanted to.

This new scheme has far too many hoops to jump through, and unless you are realistically planning on staying with Royal Mail for 10 years, and are very confident about the shares increasing or remaining the same, and you have disposable income then I wouldn't recommend it.

BT ran multiple successful SAYE schemes, why can't RM do the same instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every time?? :arrrghhh :arrrghhh

Completely agree, the SAYE was a great scheme and much more worthwhile.

09 Aug 2018, 21:15

Lambs to the slaughter.
You don't get owt for nowt ,go ask some BT employees who did this crap years ago.

09 Aug 2018, 21:21

BELIAL wrote:Lambs to the slaughter.
You don't get owt for nowt ,go ask some BT employees who did this crap years ago.

Yet more platitudes and nonsense.

09 Aug 2018, 22:24

:shock: stalker

16 Aug 2018, 20:57

I'm still not certain about this. I wasn't thinking of investing the upper limit, maybe £8 a month. Not sure about it at all.

16 Aug 2018, 21:11

ScousePostie wrote:I'm still not certain about this. I wasn't thinking of investing the upper limit, maybe £8 a month. Not sure about it at all.

If your in it for the long time i think its a win win , personally ill invest £11.54 per week and if the shares stay under £5 , then an extra 2 free shares per month plus the 32% saving on tax and Ni on the way in :Very Happy

16 Aug 2018, 21:17

ScousePostie wrote:I'm still not certain about this. I wasn't thinking of investing the upper limit, maybe £8 a month. Not sure about it at all.

If you're not certain Scouse don't do it.....and if you were only going to bang in 8 quid a month (or even a week if that's what you meant)
the dealing charge (17.50) when selling could possibly eat up a significant % of any share price growth that MIGHT or MIGHT NOT
happen over the term you have to hold them without having to pay income tax/NIC's.

As a lot of personal finance advisers say 'Don't let the tax tail wag the investment dog.....'

17 Aug 2018, 09:08

If you are not sure don't do it. If you are not already doing it, why not put some money into AVCs, towards your pension instead? You get tax relief, plus PSE.

27 Aug 2018, 14:29

Its a share saving scheme. If it runs for two years and you buy £x of shares each month after five years you can sell the first months shares tax free so you have an income for two years a good pension top up for the older posties, you would have been paid dividends for that time and only if the price dived would you lose even then you can keep the shares and take the dividends.

28 Aug 2018, 20:40

cpsteve wrote:Its a share saving scheme. If it runs for two years and you buy £x of shares each month after five years you can sell the first months shares tax free so you have an income for two years a good pension top up for the older posties, you would have been paid dividends for that time and only if the price dived would you lose even then you can keep the shares and take the dividends.

you can sell the first months shares

at 17.50 per sale

you would have been paid dividends for that time

not necessarily - Tesco - dividends suspended from end 2014 to end 2017, BP suspended dividends for part of 2010, Lloyds dividends not paid 2008 - 2014 and these are 'Blue chips' just like Royal Mail....

and only if the price dived would you lose....keep the shares....take the dividends

if the price has dived it's because the big boys believe there's a reason to ditch them....like the dividend falling/disappearing - and if you're using
the shares as a pension top up as you suggested that's a hit on your capital that I would suggest you don't need in retirement.

Being tied in to one share with all the conditions attached for five years - it's not for me.

Caveat empor.....

13 Sep 2018, 17:25

yellowbelly wrote:if the price has dived it's because the big boys believe there's a reason to ditch them....like the dividend falling/disappearing - and if you're using
the shares as a pension top up as you suggested that's a hit on your capital that I would suggest you don't need in retirement.

Being tied in to one share with all the conditions attached for five years - it's not for me.

But what if it wasn't "one share" but was "one share amongst many/several in your portfolio", and what if the tie-in period of 5 years was significantly less than the length of time you expected/planned to hold the shares anyway?

From my perspective I'm going to get to buy (using today's closing price) £28.94 worth of shares and it's only going to cost me £16.40. As a result the dividend yield (using the last year's dividends) will be 8.78% and not 4.98%, and even with the amount I'm throwing in the direction of this scheme the percentage of my portfolio that Royal Mail makes up is only going to be trending downwards.

18 Sep 2018, 10:50

Can you still join the scheme....?

And if so how..

Thanks

Previous page Next page

Page 6 of 7   1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7