ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE


What's your decision? SAYE scheme coming to maturity on December 1st

13 Nov 2017, 17:14

With the SAYE scheme coming to maturity on December 1st, I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion, and see how other people are planning their decision.

Originally, I was planning to ride out a few months, exercising share purchase around Feb/Mar, but after reading the booklet I was sent, liked the thought of the S&S ISA, so I may go down that route. Knowing nothing of S&S ISA's though, will have to do some research. I'm interested in the whole investing business, and after setting up various AVC's towards my pension, as well as already owning free shares & purchased shares(RM), looking into long term growth investing. Don't know finer details of Equiniti's ISA provided, so may look into transferring to another if it suits.

I'm guessing the majority of people are buying to sell straight away. What's your decision, and your reasons for doing so?


What's your decision?

13 Nov 2017, 17:58

I'm also thinking of the s&s isa,the shares are just too volatile at the moment

What's your decision?

13 Nov 2017, 18:07

Buying now at the £3.60 option price, already input the decision online to be entitled to the January dividend. Depending on how the share price goes I may well hang on to them at least until the original batch can be sold without tax/NI deductions in October 2018. If the price is below £3.60 on 1 Dec and they cancel that option I'll see what the next choice is.

What's your decision?

13 Nov 2017, 19:04

fb1969 wrote:Buying now at the £3.60 option price, already input the decision online to be entitled to the January dividend. Depending on how the share price goes I may well hang on to them at least until the original batch can be sold without tax/NI deductions in October 2018. If the price is below £3.60 on 1 Dec and they cancel that option I'll see what the next choice is.


Same here, opted to buy more shares at £3.60, my saye got scaled down to just £6 per week so haven't got that much, but I'm going to hold on to them as a "rainy day" fund definitely won't sell the initial shares until no tax/NI to pay.

What's your decision?

13 Nov 2017, 19:21

Based on the share price at the time of writing, buying and then selling straight away would only mean a profit of 13p per share, minus dealing costs. It’s hardly worth it even if you’ve saved the maximum!

So personally I plan to and have already made my choice online, to hold onto them, grab a few dividends, which I’ll reinvest and only sell when I think the time’s right.

The SAYE shares will go into the nominee account I already have from buying via the EPO in 2013, so all can be sold together, keeping dealing costs to a minimum. I think we’ll also get the option of transferring our free shares into the nominee account after each 5 year milestone.

Personally I see no advantage to opening an Equiniti ISA. Not least because I already have a S&S ISA! But even if I didn’t, there’s no tax savings to be made unless you’re planning on getting into share dealing in a much bigger way than just with your SAYE shares. Theres also charges to consider, which aren’t applicable with the nominee account as far as i know.

What's your decision?

14 Nov 2017, 17:10

Only got my letter yesterday (bloody royal mail!)lol, anyway, thinking of exercising my options to buy and have them in certificate form so then I can just transfer the certified shares into my Halifax share dealing account. Can't sell them till April without paying CGT as I'm already up to the limit after getting lucky on an AIM oil share. Can't put them in my s&s ISA either as I've paid in the full limit this yr. Will collect the divs till then . Hopefully the business will get an agreement sorted out and the SP will recover. I'd be worried if we had no work on but I'm sure everyone here will agree, it's been the busiest summer ever, and you can't move for parcels at the moment so it's not as if we're struggling now. If the govt get brexit wrong though and the country goes into recession, it'll be a different story but then job security is probably at the forefront of our minds, rather than losing a grand or two on the shares!

What's your decision?

14 Nov 2017, 17:40

Then again, if Moya does the usual 'facing headwinds, letters declining, increased completion' lines in the interims this week and the markets don't like it and the sp dives bellow 360, I may as well buy the shares on the open market and just get my money back on the saye .

What's your decision? SAYE scheme coming to maturity on December 1st

16 Nov 2017, 22:38

Robert, I agree with your thinking and have done the same. I aim to collect, at least the interim dividend payable in January 2018, so that by acquiring the 590 shares available to me, it will comfortably cover the eventual dealing costs. My view is that there will be a ‘bounce’ in the RM share price ‘post’ the inevitable mediation outcome. The progressive dividend policy being pursued by RM suggests a final dividend in 2018, no less than 2017. For me, it is buy, monitor and then decide when to sell.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 1