not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Are we on a road to devalue the company to force a change in the USO?

19 Sep 2017, 19:22

Lounge Lizard wrote:
heapsy wrote:A year ago last January, I was at a meeting at the Mechanics Institute, in Manchester. All the big boys from the union were there, except Dave Ward. We were told that during a meeting with Moya Greene, she mentioned losing a days delivery. The union had told her to keep her hands off Saturdays, to which she replied, "who said anything about Saturdays?"
Tbh, I can see it coming. I really believe that CWU made a huge mistake when we went to 5 day working, in its current form. Together with CMA they should have approached RM and lobbied government to scale back Saturdays. We could be doing parcels and specials, and a limited amount of prep. Hours taken form that day could have been put on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. It is too late now. Back then we didn't have to defend as many jobs. With the internet, things have changed and it will be the demise of a vast percentage of the mail we deliver. This, I feel, will lead to many jobs going.

By "The union had told her to keep her hands off Saturdays" are you saying that the CWU suggested RM could give up delivering one weekday but not give up Saturday deliveries ? :shock:

Moyas response came when the union told her about Saturdays. Tbh, I don't think they anticipated her saying that. And as far as I know, didn't suggest it. In the U.S.A, they have either done away with, or are considering doing away with a delivery day, the U.S postal service is apparently, on its arse.
It concerns me that the CWU may be too pig headed, to accept that MAYBE, some jobs may have to go. I'm concerned that it could lead us into part time contracts, in order to defend jobs.

19 Sep 2017, 19:43

I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 2-3 years if we have normal deliveries on a Sunday as well but perhaps with people employed on Saturday and Sunday only contracts

19 Sep 2017, 20:19

SpacePhoenix wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 2-3 years if we have normal deliveries on a Sunday as well but perhaps with people employed on Saturday and Sunday only contracts

At a neighbouring office, they did have, and as far as I know, still do have someone on a 7 hour, Saturday only contract. Unless it has changed. You might be right. The supermarkets no longer pay overtime for Sundays. They have brought people in on contracts that stipulate Sundays, as part of the working week.

19 Sep 2017, 20:51

heapsy wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 2-3 years if we have normal deliveries on a Sunday as well but perhaps with people employed on Saturday and Sunday only contracts

At a neighbouring office, they did have, and as far as I know, still do have someone on a 7 hour, Saturday only contract. Unless it has changed. You might be right. The supermarkets no longer pay overtime for Sundays. They have brought people in on contracts that stipulate Sundays, as part of the working week.

Yes, there are quite a few employed just working Saturdays, some content doing that and others hoping it leads to more days a week.

21 Sep 2017, 10:13

Person in my work got his hours reduced to work a Saturday, as he was at uni during the week.

Also, there's not a chance in hell we will lose a Saturday delivery. If anything, we would be likely to substitute Tuesday, for a Sunday delivery, and to be honest, although I probably wouldn't enjoy a Sunday shift, it's the way forward for RM.

21 Sep 2017, 19:12

Alexei wrote:Person in my work got his hours reduced to work a Saturday, as he was at uni during the week.

Also, there's not a chance in hell we will lose a Saturday delivery. If anything, we would be likely to substitute Tuesday, for a Sunday delivery, and to be honest, although I probably wouldn't enjoy a Sunday shift, it's the way forward for RM.

I can't see any day being axed entirely more likely just specials and Tracked on the day that they want to reduce

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2