ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

A Warning to Those Selling Shares Early

07 Apr 2017, 10:11

You will be paying more than you might think.

I am leaving the company within the next couple of months, and given the volatile state of the share price, I picked a decent time to cash out, expecting to pay a 1/3 of the total back in Tax + NI, so 33%. How wrong I was. It turns out, you pay 40% total back which is significantly more than expected. Fortunately, I am not reliant on the cash, but if you are making plans for the money, it is worth considering, as it is more than the quoted 1/3 being discussed here.

I phoned up payroll to check, who said it was correct and also phoned HMRC to confirm, and she said likewise, so it's one to suck up, but it is a significant amount to lose to the taxman!

07 Apr 2017, 16:27

I was the same but assumed it was because I have a second job. I was pig sick when I got my payslip thru. I was taxed approximately £800 out of £2020 worth of shares.

07 Apr 2017, 16:46

It's odd because others here have paid less, which is what I mentioned to HMRC this morning. If RM and HMRC are saying the rate is correct and I've paid the right amount, then I can't see what else I can do. I would recommend anyone else keep hold of them if you can as you will pay more than you might think. I would have done if not getting out soon.

20 Apr 2017, 17:32

I've just sold my shares and got stung with 40% tax but when I phoned hmrc they said because it was paid in my wages they now think I'm on 170 grand a year but it will correct itself in the next month or 2.
They said it would have been better if wages had paid it separately!

20 Apr 2017, 18:50

Yes same happened to me. I was refunded it the following week. I paid a minus figure in tax.

20 Apr 2017, 19:09

Yep. I've had rebates the past 2 weeks.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1